Opus Professional Services Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Darren Ryemill

Pros
  • Commission structure is good and there is the potential here for you to earn some very good money (in 17 reviews)

• Trainees can hit lunch clubs from day one and the incentives have realistic targets for all levels of experience (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • s long hours but I find you get that in any sales role (in 31 reviews)

• Everyone who comes to work here works hard but there's still a good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

"A real one off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

You really feel part of something here. Opus is the fastest growing recruitment start up (5 years running on Virgin Fast Track), and there is a real shared sense of achievement and direction from the top level all the way down. Still small enough to feel like you can stand out and make a difference, but big enough to have all the good perks and incentives of a corporate.

Cons

Not really a con if you have the right attitude - but success comes at a price. This isn't the place for you if you want an easy ride and not give your all. People here work hard, put the hours in, and help each other to success. Not being a team player won't go unnoticed.

"Amazing place to work"

Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Opus Professional Services Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Unbelievable environment - supportive colleagues and managers (we were like a family)
    -Excellent training (joined the company with no experience at all)
    -Transparent commission structure and career progression
    -Crazy incentives (Miami, Vegas, Play Stations, Lunch Clubs, Bonuses, etc)
    -Strong career progression with realistic targets
    -Really high standards in terms of dress code, work-ethic, etc
    -Great culture

Cons

-Some people will say long hours ( 8-18, with an hour lunch) but I don't think is that bad, after all, if you're seeking to start a career in recruitment and you're complaining about long hours, you're probably in the wrong industry

Advice to Management

"Clients do not come first. Employees come first. If you take care of your employees, they will take care of the client" (Richard Branson)

"Great working culture"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Opus Professional Services Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with great people, strong team environment and culture
    Ambitious growth plans
    One of the best commission structures in Bristol

Cons

Some of the benefits need to be reviewed

"Best Recruitment company i have worked for"

Current Employee - Consultant in Avonmouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Avonmouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Opus Professional Services Group full-time

Pros

You are working in an environment where everyone wants to be successful and will work as hard as they need to to get there.
    The directors still have a large input to all employee from trainees to team leads even though they have multi offices and countries to cover.
    Incentives are great - who else offers a Porsche for a year?
    The CEO is on of the most inspiring people you will meet. He has a plan and you know he will achieve it.
    Progression is there for those who want it with new roles becoming available all the time both in the UK or internationally

Cons

Yes the hours can be long but that is recruitment - sometimes you need to get in early or late to speak to candidates
    Covering the phones on lunch is a bit annoying

Advice to Management

Keep working hard. Opus is going in the right direction and big things are round the corner

6. "Opus"

I have been working at Opus Professional Services Group full-time

Pros

Company culture Working environment Training programme

Cons

No cons No cons No cons No cons No cons No cons

"mistake i won't make again!!!!!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Opus Professional Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

don't have to pay for milk
    training isn't that bad
    cracked a smile from a director once, real highlight

Cons

have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to be a victorian school child?if you have then you will love it here. interviewing was quite fun and met genuinely nice people. then i joined. i was taught to think of myself as scum and to practically kiss goodbye to family and friends. my team lead would tell me every day what his pay check was and how that i will be nothing until I'm earning that amount. go to the toilet if you dare but it will be noted. i will say i was late once, my bus was about 10 minutes late which made us get caught in the traffic getting into the centre where the office is. i sprinted into the office and was met with a shouting from a manager i had never spoken to before and then given a stern warning as well as being made to feel crap all day with constant reminders and cold looks, the conversation went a little like. after deciding he humiliated me enough in front of everyone he took me in a office

Manager:are you hungry for this?
    Me: Yes mr manager but my bus was late ill stay longer and it won't happen again
    Manager: i don't think you want this
    Me: Yes i definitely do but my bus was late
    Manager: i want 100 calls and 3 hours on the phone today please

I haven't had the same bus driver since so haven't been able to thank him for such a memorable day

anyway i stepped out of the worst time machine in the world and back out into the modern working life and left. which it sounds like most people are planning on doing anyway as no one seems to like it, lunch was fun because you would hear different stories about why people hate the management, the only people that seem to have an ounce of life in them is team leads who are more concerned about sniffing the backside of bigger bosses. hopefully people make it out alive

dont interview and don't join. save yourself

Advice to Management

because you have earned more than someone does not been you are a a better person than them, try having some morales.
    please can you set up an opus leavers page so that we know we are all safe and sound and made it out alive. thanks

8. "Great place"

Pros

Opus is a great place to work with an atmosphere I havn't experienced whist working before. People come to work with drive to do well, make good money and have fun. Lots of incentives on offer along with social activities after work which bring the team together. Commission structure is good and there is the potential here for you to earn some very good money.

Cons

No real cons here. Get on with your job and work hard and you will succeed.

9. "Steer well clear"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Opus Professional Services Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Trainees are trained regularly.

You get free fruit sometimes.

Cons

Management are more worried about their job title rather than the work they are meant to be doing.

Brainwash/bullying environment - especially to trainees. Intimidation and open-office shaming is not uncommon.

"Company retreat" offered to staff doesn't automatically mean you take care of your staff. They don't mention that you have to be at the company for 4/5 years to be legible. In the same breath the company understands that their aggressive growth focused business model only retains staff for around 2 years... just look at the amount of people who have resigned this year alone.

Severely below market rate base salaries with a commission structure that only really benefits £30k/month billers.

KPIs in your face all day every day. People adding false data to their CRM to make up numbers out of fear for being humiliated in open-office or by email to your team or even whole office.

Hours are 8-6. If you turn up at 7:45 then leave at 6:15 this is frowned upon. Some people would work even further stretch that that and still be treated badly by managers. Someone is the business will probably reply to this saying how "that's recruitment", well it doesn't have to be that way. There are plenty of companies treating their staff like adults and with respect that produce far better consultants.

Company aims and values are pretty much ignored.

Made to feel as if you're doing well to achieve 1k pay rises or "car targets" when realistically these costs should already be part of your basic salary.

Opus love to shout about how they've won "best company to work for" and all of these worthless awards. They don't tell you that your director stands over your shoulder whilst you're forced to write these reviews, literally.

Advice to Management

Are you really a manager or have you just billed a certain amount of money in a certain amount of time?

10. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

Pros

I've worked at several recruitment companies over my career and had chance to see the good and the bad of the industry. I chose to work for Opus because I enjoy being in a high performance environment, it gets the best out of me and offers good opportunities for progression.

Opus are big enough to have a national brand name but small enough to give consultant’s fresh opportunities. I have a market here that Opus have never done before which gives me a great opportunity to win new business and to build a team in my own patch, rather than trying to make money in an area where the best clients are already working with other consultants.

There's a great support structure of management and trainers who are always around to lend a hand or offer advice which is brilliant. Anyone who wants to be successful in recruitment will need to work hard in their first year but having that support structure in place means you're much more likely to make it.

Benefits are pretty decent, I take a pension, car allowance, private health and I'm booked into the wellness retreat in Tuscany next year.

Finally... I'm new to Bristol and really enjoy the social scene at work, playing 5 a side football every Thursday or having a couple on a Friday before heading off for the weekend has really helped me settle in.

Cons

Thursday football, I've had some decent bruises.

Apart from that you can't really coast or take it easy, but that's one of the reasons I joined as I know that it'll drive me to do more. The hours are decent but it's your own business so if you want to go home at 5pm every day you're just cheating yourself.

Advice to Management

Just keep things going really, fastest growing recruitment company in the UK is a good tag line.

A corporate box at Anfield would be ideal though...

11. "Recruitment consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

Pros

Some great people there at the consultant/senior consultant level who are really keen to help you out where and when they can.

Cons

Zero work/life balance, if you have a family you have to accept you will rarely see them. If you don't arrive 30 mins early and stay at least 30/40 minutes after you are given a hard time by management. KPIs are ridiculous, you end up doing counterproductive work just in order try to meet them and it's still never enough. Company incentives like holidays and Porches that are heavily advertised to bring talent in are out of reach of moderate billers, only top, established billers stand a chance of hitting them. So many other recruitment agencies out there that can offer the same money and career progression without the poor working conditions.

Advice to Management

Take it easy on people, when people are happy they will bill, you don't need to put them under immense pressure. Try to encourage a more welcoming atmosphere, it is very elitist and can be intimidating for new consultants. There is a mass exodus happening at the moment and you need to address it.