Oracle Associate Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Oracle Review"

Current Employee - Associate Sales Consultant in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Sales Consultant in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company invests a lot of time and money into you

Cons

Company is so big that you can sometimes feel small or unimportant

Advice to Management

N/A

"An actual house of cards"

Former Employee - Associate Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is great, with hardly anyone working past 5pm. Management gives you free reign to handle your own business, so no micro-managing. The office culture is young and laid-back, most people dress semi-business casual, and everyone is generally positive and friendly. Oracle also looks good on a resume.

Cons

Management has little to no formal management training and it is pretty obvious. The "self-service" nature of Oracle is really just an excuse to provide no training or guidance when you first start. On-boarding is a major company weakness. There is a quite a bit of downtime in the role, and most recommendations are to use this time to train yourself on product knowledge. A lot of your success will depend on which sales team you support and how well you get along with the sales manager. There is no accountability, so no one checks to see if you have learned something correctly. This causes misinformation to commonly be passed around the organization for extended periods of time. It often feels like no one really knows what's going on or what any of the products do, and commonly push back on your questions. Whenever there is an actual problem, it becomes very apparent who actually knows their stuff and who has just been faking it. Bonuses are tied to unreachable goals and we've recently only received 60%-70% of our annual bonuses. Also, in the first year, your bonus ramps up (only eligible for 25% in first quarter, 50% second quarter, etc...). No one will tell you this and it's not in writing. Compensation plans have been incorrect two years in a row, however, you're forced to sign the incorrect document so that you get paid while finance fixes the issues. Every year, it felt shady signing an incorrect, legally-binding document around my pay.

Advice to Management

Train your managers ASAP. Develop an on-boarding program if you want to retain talent.

"It's perfect if you want to clock in, clock out, and go no where"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is great, I never worried about work once I left. The managers are nice even if they feel incompetent. Working with people your age is very nice in the COE

Cons

The company doesn't know what to do with out-of-college grads, which unfortunately they are hiring for the new "Center of Excellence" model workplace. From what I saw, there is little to no focus on personal development or growth, rather an emphasis on work-life balance. This model works well for older employees who have family's to go home to, but not for college grads who hope to build skills and move on. After two years of working here, I learned few broadly applicable skills. College grads be warned.

Training when I started was simply PowerPoint after Powerpoint. After this, they expect you to do months of "self study." This loose method of training doesn't work well for everyone. Many people complained, since Oracle is a company that owns Oracle University, but refuses to use its own resources on its own employees. I found that a theme my entire two years here; Oracle will not train you, help you, or move you, despite its gargantuan size and ample resources. If you work for the COE, do not listen to your managers who tell you that "after a time" you can move here or there, to this department or this city, because while your manager might be sincere, they don't actually have any power to make that happen for you. Oracle is very limited in this way, despite its size.

There is little change in this role. I performed the same duties 4 months in as i did 2 years in. Thus, I saw no salary increase or formal title change. Suddenly you look up, two years have passed, and while your peers at other companies have moved up a ladder, you sit on the same job title, the same duties, the same pay, and the same day to day tasks as you had 4 months into the job. I asked repeatedly for greater responsibility but with a company this big, there is little room for creativity in your role.

Unless....of course.... you are a "manager favorite." As in every company.

One pro which I mentioned is work life balance. You will be pleased to know that few people actually work 40 hours here. This is great at first; you can go home and watch all the tv you want. You might even consider getting a pet. And then a few months in you realize that this gets pretty old. Because the reason you can leave is that no one will notice. The work is not important enough to keep you at work. You will rarely work overtime...because overtime isn't often allowed because they *dont want to pay you for it.* Managers simply cannot show on paper that your extra hours added any benefit to whatever project you were working on. "Let the real consultants do the work."

Speaking once more of personal development and growth- recently the COE came up with a growth model. Unfortunately, It took a year and a half for executives to even take the time to make a career path for the COE employees. And while it's touted and celebrated by the managers, its just corporate nonsense. From my experience, it's actually just a tool for managers to use to tell you while exactly you have not been promoted yet. For instance- "manager, why have I not been promoted? I seem to remember a promise." "Well, if you look at the 10 career boxes here, you have strengths in every area except this one- you simply have not given enough presentations!" There is no metric used to measure your progress other than your managers own eyes, and honestly they might not be watching you. I know at least three people that in two years never got a raise or promotion. These are people that Managers swear they want to keep, they might even be the best in their product area. But they didn't jump through the right hoop at the right time.

The different product areas are NOT the same. If you want attention at this company and decent training, you need to be either on the tools team or in procurement. The other areas have very very weak training materials. You will be expected to learn a product directly from a person who barely knows it, using materials created by people who didn't know it. You might spend a year trying to learn a product because the company won't send a professional to train you.

Advice to Management

Incompetent, disinterested managers, please LOOK UP.

4. "Sales Consultant Team"

Former Employee - Associate Sales Consultant in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Sales Consultant in Burlington, MA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- overall pretty solid benefits
    - good work-life balance and ability to work from home occasionally
    - obviously depends on the team but I had some great teammates and coworkers

Cons

- Not enough work to go around and no real plan for training in the downtime
    - Barely any company culture in non-HQ offices (i.e. no holiday parties, team events, social activities)
    - Don't really value current employees (many quit and return shortly after for promotions/raises

Advice to Management

Stop giving upper management multi-million dollar raises every year and invest in lower level employees more

5. "Associate Consultan"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Oracle (More than a year)

Pros

Great Place to Work in!! It is recommended.

Cons

Very slow growth. It takes a long time to climb up the ladder.

6. "Developer Consultant"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel, pay, access to certifications, co-workers and management are all very pleasant

Cons

Travel, unpredictability, no formal training

"bad opportunity"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at Oracle full-time

Pros

company brand, salary, you see a large number of people working here , large data base of knowledge

Cons

no growth , get stuck at the same place

8. "IT Associate Consultant"

Former Employee - IT Associate Consultant in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - IT Associate Consultant in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Oracle (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Timings.
    Helpful Peers.
    Good Rotational Program.
    Travel allowance.

Cons

Small or Very less Bonuses.
    Weekend/Night shifts.

9. "Very good company for freshers"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant & Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant & Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for oracle financial services software. You learn a lot in this company. The training was good. The timing is flexible. I can come and go anytime if the job assigned to you is completed.

Cons

The salary is a concern. You are not given increment every other year. They try to compensate it with the bonus at the year end which sure will not help the employee to pay the every month expenses.

"Associate Consultant"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment is amazing with no compulsions of dress code or timings. Focus is on work and fosters creativity and help is provided in abundance.

Cons

The compensations is a bit below par with the bonus fluctuating year to year.