Oracle Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Oracle CEO's Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd
Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd

Cons

1. "Sales Rep in Hardware"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room to move up , can make big bonus checks. Ability to move around the country. Always openings

Cons

They can take a while to pay, many things out of your control

2. "GBU Proposal Manager"

Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Proposal Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a proposal manager, I was exposed to a wide variety of industries and customer problems. It never got boring.

Cons

It's a very bureaucratic workplace. I completely understand why the processes are in place. But due to growth and acquisition, there needs to be a process overhaul and better communication.

Advice to Management

Make things a little easier for your salespeople. They should be selling not doing paperwork

"OK Place to Work if All You Want is a Salary."

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible work conditions
    opportunitis for working at home

Cons

ever present threat of lyoffs
    very cheap company where greedy execs give themselves enormous salaries and stock options
    tiny severance packages
    hardly any R&D -- they prefer to buy small companies
    due to its size, its virtually impossible to have any real influence in product direction

5. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to make lots of money but work hard and stick to it!

Cons

There is a lot of products that we sell and you need to work hard to ensure you solution sell.

Advice to Management

More pay would be great :)

6. "Great if you get lucky..."

Current Employee - Applications Sales Executive in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Sales Executive in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Potential to crush OTE if you get a good territory. Work/life balance can be amazing if you have a good manager.

Cons

long sales cycles. It's often harder to "sell" to Oracle (i,e, approvals) than it is to customers.

7. "Don't expect raises"

Former Employee - Contracts in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Contracts in Boston, MA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting place. Very excellent top notch technology. Beautiful buildings.

Cons

No raises. Very little room to move from one place to another. They are very strict.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your staff. And take the time to really figure out how to become better.

"Constant position change"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Possible to progress from BDR to Inside Sales to Manager/Field from exceeding expectation consistently

Cons

Can be frustrating when trying to maintain/keep metrics clean when being asked to forecast unreal opportunities to fudge numbers

Advice to Management

Don't get comfortable. I've had 3 different managers while I've been on the same team in 2 years.

9. "Big company in big transition"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Oracle has great benefits. I've met a lot of good people at this company who will most likely stay in the tech circuit. My favorite "benefits" are things available you must take advantage of -- class reimbursement options, Toastmasters International fees, weekly yoga classes in corporate gym, etc...

Cons

Oracle doesn't seem to have a mission statement. If sales and making money is your only motivation, this is not an issue. It seems to be a body with no soul -- it functions, but there's no one home. Promotions are made especially difficult, especially in the field where preference is for hiring from the outside. Partially building on that, there is nothing besides money or to incentivize top talent to stay. With forcing of cloud upon both customer and sales reps, it seems to be more of asking people to leave...

Advice to Management

Make some kind of effort. Or any, really

10. "Good place to start"

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment for students coming out of college, fantastic training program, great people who work here, high starting salary with the possibility for commission and bonuses

Cons

It's a very large company, so it's easy to get lost in the day-to-day, the job is tedious and repetitive

"Former Core Technology SMB Install Salesperson"

Former Employee - SMB Account Director in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - SMB Account Director in Burlington, MA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to make some money and some good people work there.

Cons

As they say, it all depends on who your direct boss is. It's the luck of the draw. The huge mistake I made was still accepting the job after Oracle did, in several ways, the old "bait & switch" on me. First, I was told I'd be reporting to someone else, whom I never even interviewed with, several days after accepting the job. At that point, I had no alternative but to move forward and hope for the best. I was also told it was a hybrid position (50% travel), which only held true during the 1st quarter of my tenure. A month after being assigned to a conference room with a group of other new hires who were also wondering whether they made the right decision to join Oracle, I finally was assigned to a cubicle. Not long after, we all received our territory/account assignments. At the time, we were told that half of each sales team were assigned "Greenfield" (Net New) accounts and the other Oracle "Install/Dormant accounts". We soon found out this was yet another lie of what would become an endless succession of lies. You see, in the majority of cases Oracle cleverly assigned the younger sales people (under 40) not only the "Greenfield" accounts, but they were also given "Install & Dormant" accounts. Oracle Mgt tried to keep this a secret from the older sales people who, in most cases, were assigned just "Install & Dormant" accounts, only to find out later that most of their accounts only wanted to do business via an Oracle Partner, or worse, were no longer using Oracle at all. It soon became evident that Oracle was setting up the younger employees to succeed. I could go on for pages sharing the unethical practices I witnessed, and sometimes was at the receiving end of, in my almost 2 years with Oracle Core Technology, but I'll simply sum it up this way....Unless you're willing to drink the Oracle Kool-Aid by screwing over not only your customers, but your fellow employees as well, you'll not last long. Before I conclude I have to mention the other unknowing victims at Oracle. I'm referring to the younger employees that have been given every chance to succeed that are being trained, if at all, by Managers who have limited sales experience, under 5 years, and are only interested in how & when they can get their next promotion. These younger employees are being given a false sense of their sales skills/abilities. They won't realize their short comings until they leave Oracle and land at another company that will have high expectations them.

Advice to Management

Stop highering employees over 40 only to help meet an unwritten quota to use as fuel against any age discrimation claims. Start using their many years of wisdom/knowledge to help train the less experienced employees and move Oracle forward.

Showing 394 of 14,786 reviews