Oracle Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Oracle CEO's Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd
Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You're compensated with the flexibility between personal/work life balance for that anyway (in 301 reviews)

• no hikes , managers don't bother about growth (in 423 reviews)

1. "Great Name to be on your resume, not a long term job tho"

Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career prestige, kind of get to do whatever you want

Cons

Very bureaucratic, you are on an island. A lot of people work remote, there is no "team" situation.

"Massive machine that moves like a garbage truck"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job stability, you'll never get fired.

Cons

No raises in years. No path of advancement since nothing changes. No ability to adapt quickly.

Advice to Management

I know you're doing your best, keep fighting for the good decisions.

3. "Regimented Roles but Flexible Workspace"

Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Oracle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone knows Oracle; Products work very well and are secure; Good Healthcare; Flexible office is the best because you still have one but can also work remotely; Holiday shut-down is wonderful

Cons

Territories are very strict and generally too small in an Enterprise patch. Gender imbalance is obvious to customers and employees and observers at events. Very structured selling culture without much room for suggestions.

4. "Sales"

Current Employee - Cloud Channel Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cloud Channel Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Oracle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are competitive, large company so you can always move around.

Cons

Such a large company that most people are expendable. Always lots of shuffling/restructuring.

Advice to Management

Try to be consistent. If you change processes or teams every 6 months to year, you can never give the dust a chance to settle.

"A Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Oracle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a company is really only as great as its people and Oracle has some of the best people to work with in the industry, I give it a high rating. I worked at Oracle for 4 years and made the mistake of leaving. They hired me back and I had a 2 year run then was let go. I took a territory that I shouldn't have taken so its mostly on me.

I would happily go back to work for Oracle again. I'd hoped to retire there but a sales person needs to hit numbers and it was impossible given my patch. They'd not been successful there in 15 years and I new that going in. What prompted me to write this is someone I worked with there reached out to me on a business focused social media platform to connect. They've been with Oracle for 20 years. I felt envy but very happy for them. There are many people with a very long tenure there.

Cons

I don't know of any relevant cons to share about Oracle as a company to work for. Yes, of course there are some people that perhaps shouldn't be in management and yes managers can play favorites but people are people. My best advice would be to share what my first manager told me which is to be good at reinventing yourself and move into other organizations within the company. Looking back, I should have started to make a move to a different group long before I was let go but I loved my manager and my team and let that put a rose color tint on my glasses. They did let a VP from my group go in June who was great to work for. That person missed their number for Fiscal Year 17 but helped build a line of business from a near disaster to a success and hit the team numbers for 10 previous years. I found that to be a little bit of a shocker.

Advice to Management

Best wishes to everyone at Oracle.

"Great benefits, but huge bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Copywriter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The medical benefits and the employee premiums for employees were amazing. On my medical plan, you could even do a "virtual nurse consultation" for $5 on your phone, 24/7 which is definitely helpful for after-hours when most doctor's offices are close.

Cons

This was a big, slow moving and ridiculously "red-taped" company. My managers were very competent people, but our team was still swallowed up. Clear career paths and regular promotions were nowhere to be found. You felt like a number and not like a human or a respected employee.

7. "Terrible, soulless corporation"

Current Employee - Resource Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Resource Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Oracle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work remotely. Also, it is incredibly difficult to be get fired, so you will find a ton of subpar people in every department who have worked for Oracle for 15+ years who add virtually no value but don't quit because they know they have a sweet gig.

Cons

Literally everything else. Virtually no raises or promotions. In fact, I personally know of several people who were told they were being promoted and getting a raise, started doing the work, and then Oracle would try to block the actual pay increase and title change for months (in some cases it just never actually went through at all). This company does not care about its employees at all. They want to cut costs, increase stock prices, and buy and takeover other companies. I wish they had never acquired us. I would not wish this company on my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

If you treated your employees like anything more than meat, you might find that more top talent would stick around.

"Megacorp. They care about engineering but they also have a huge bureaucracy and struggle to connect with employees."

Current Employee - Director of Development in Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Development in Palatine, IL

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of talented colleagues, challenging work, improving benefits. The company understands they need to modernize and are trying to do so.

Cons

Dated tech and tools in many areas, very slow adoption of cloud technologies (advanced NIH syndrome), and tons of lawyers and audits end up bogging some things down.

Advice to Management

Loosen restrictions on your technology people to allow more freedom to modernize. Stop trying to consolidate IT processes and allow new acquisitions to continue to innovate and stay on the cutting edge.

"Application Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great solutions and SaaS products

Cons

difficult to do business with

10. "Good company to work for- Very dependent in what group you are in!"

Current Employee - Channel Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Channel Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Oracle (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, great benefits, sharp coworkers, challenging work. It's a massive company so with a little legwork you can essentially move to another group/location based on your changing interests.

Cons

Sales Training went more towards self service and away from actual training workshops (which I found to be more impactful). It's a very "right place, right time, who do you know" kind of company when it comes to promotions (however lateral moves are much easier to get since they are always re-orging). Raises are practically non existent. Depends on what group you are in or your manager - but lots of top heavy layers of management requires a lot of time giving the same updates with a slightly different data set for different managers, and sometimes this leads to your manager micro managing you so that they can respond to the 3-5 people that are calling them for opportunity updates.

Advice to Management

Being back more engaging sales training. Training that is more tactical and not this high level self service "oracle message" training. Execution is also important!

Showing 136 of 17,322 reviews