Oracle Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Oracle CEO's Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd
Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd

Cons

"Great benefits, good people, slow innovation, no raises"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Every group/division can be different in how they treat their employees, but I'd say overall there is very good atmosphere of trust and fairness. There is a strong focus on education, and they reimburse for outside classes taken (Up to 5k/year I think). Benefits are good, and I'd say quite competitive in the market. Good 401K matching (they'll contribute a max of 3% of your 6% or greater). Free drinks in the breakroom. Flexibility to work from home at times. (If you live 50+ miles away from an office you can work full-time from home...policy).

Cons

They don't try to make the workplace anything special (maybe a pool table and arcade game are cliche or gimmicky?). In the 10 years I've worked there, they've given 2 measly %1 cost of living raises (this is the same with most everyone I've spoken to, some don't get any raises). You will not get a substantial raise ever, unless you leave then get rehired on (they will not match offers, better to leave). New employees that you train will make 10 - 20K more than you several years after you hire on (not just me, they do this to all tenured employees). They will give these untrained, less experienced people higher titles (again this is done to everyone not just me). You learn pretty quickly that you're dispensable. The company has billions in cash and they don't re-invest in their employees, just in acquiring new companies and hiring new people that know nothing that you get to train.

Advice to Management

Relax on the multi-million dollar VP salaries and bonuses for a few years so that you can reinvest in your employees. It's obscene how a company will not try to retain it's employees who play the most pivotal part in bringing in the money that you horde from them.

2. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good. Insurance is good

Cons

Can't make any progress. All oracle internal framework.

Advice to Management

Give more opportunity to new hires, or just don't hire them

"Decent but management treats sales people like a number"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Oracle (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good hours, Nice Co-workers, Good bonuses at the beginning of my employment

Cons

Commission steadily decreased over the 5 years i worked there, always finding ways to automate the job and decrease the human workforce, most of the management doesn't care about the people that work for them

4. "It's perfect if you want to clock in, clock out, and go no where"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is great, I never worried about work once I left. The managers are nice even if they feel incompetent. Working with people your age is very nice in the COE

Cons

The company doesn't know what to do with out-of-college grads, which unfortunately they are hiring for the new "Center of Excellence" model workplace. From what I saw, there is little to no focus on personal development or growth, rather an emphasis on work-life balance. This model works well for older employees who have family's to go home to, but not for college grads who hope to build skills and move on. After two years of working here, I learned few broadly applicable skills. College grads be warned.

Training when I started was simply PowerPoint after Powerpoint. After this, they expect you to do months of "self study." This loose method of training doesn't work well for everyone. Many people complained, since Oracle is a company that owns Oracle University, but refuses to use its own resources on its own employees. I found that a theme my entire two years here; Oracle will not train you, help you, or move you, despite its gargantuan size and ample resources. If you work for the COE, do not listen to your managers who tell you that "after a time" you can move here or there, to this department or this city, because while your manager might be sincere, they don't actually have any power to make that happen for you. Oracle is very limited in this way, despite its size.

There is little change in this role. I performed the same duties 4 months in as i did 2 years in. Thus, I saw no salary increase or formal title change. Suddenly you look up, two years have passed, and while your peers at other companies have moved up a ladder, you sit on the same job title, the same duties, the same pay, and the same day to day tasks as you had 4 months into the job. I asked repeatedly for greater responsibility but with a company this big, there is little room for creativity in your role.

Unless....of course.... you are a "manager favorite." As in every company.

One pro which I mentioned is work life balance. You will be pleased to know that few people actually work 40 hours here. This is great at first; you can go home and watch all the tv you want. You might even consider getting a pet. And then a few months in you realize that this gets pretty old. Because the reason you can leave is that no one will notice. The work is not important enough to keep you at work. You will rarely work overtime...because overtime isn't often allowed because they *dont want to pay you for it.* Managers simply cannot show on paper that your extra hours added any benefit to whatever project you were working on. "Let the real consultants do the work."

Speaking once more of personal development and growth- recently the COE came up with a growth model. Unfortunately, It took a year and a half for executives to even take the time to make a career path for the COE employees. And while it's touted and celebrated by the managers, its just corporate nonsense. From my experience, it's actually just a tool for managers to use to tell you while exactly you have not been promoted yet. For instance- "manager, why have I not been promoted? I seem to remember a promise." "Well, if you look at the 10 career boxes here, you have strengths in every area except this one- you simply have not given enough presentations!" There is no metric used to measure your progress other than your managers own eyes, and honestly they might not be watching you. I know at least three people that in two years never got a raise or promotion. These are people that Managers swear they want to keep, they might even be the best in their product area. But they didn't jump through the right hoop at the right time.

The different product areas are NOT the same. If you want attention at this company and decent training, you need to be either on the tools team or in procurement. The other areas have very very weak training materials. You will be expected to learn a product directly from a person who barely knows it, using materials created by people who didn't know it. You might spend a year trying to learn a product because the company won't send a professional to train you.

Advice to Management

Incompetent, disinterested managers, please LOOK UP.

5. "Pre-Sales Solution Architect"

Current Employee - Sales in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, OK pay, good products to sell. Nice offices to work in . Large customer base. Fairly good communication from managers.

Cons

No loyalty to employees, huge turnover in Sales reps every year. Oracle is willing to screw high performers by not paying the proper commissions or capping them at some absurd level. Horrible sale model for their customers. It is possible for a customer to have up to 25 different sales reps calling on them.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like they are just a number. People make their job the major focus of their lives and you cavalierly cut their jobs and their family's lives out from under them.

"Sorry on-prem customers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people; lots of training opportunities; lots of cloud opportunities

Cons

Oracle's going to the cloud whether you want to or not; Oracle customer who doesn't want cloud - good luck getting someone to listen to you

Advice to Management

90% or revenue comes from on-prem - stop ignoring them

7. "Execute, Don't Strategize"

Former Employee - Director in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bright co-workers, decent pay, broad range of products translates to broad range of opportunities. If you are comfortable with top-down management hierarchies that recognize ability to execute, but discourage independent thinking, you can thrive here. There is room for creativity if you've demonstrated some technical chops.

Cons

Company strategy is tightly held by a handful of people at the top. To change direction in a company this size requires people that simply execute on what they are told, without questioning why. This discourages strategic thinking at all management layers, creating a culture of relatively blind obedience.

Advice to Management

Corporate cultures reflect their leadership. I don't see much likelihood of change.

8. "Good Place, Overall"

Former Employee - Principal Technical Writer in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Principal Technical Writer in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere, good benefits, good work/life balance.

Cons

Since Oracle acquires a variety of companies, you have to be aware if your business unit isn't performing well enough, you may be axed. Found that out myself.

9. "Solid company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Secure workplace with very good benifits

Cons

Uncertainty regarding acquisition plans for the future

"Just a big company"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits, great health care

Cons

lots of processes, no life

Showing 206 of 15,109 reviews