Oracle Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Oracle CEO's Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd
Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is out of whack (in 262 reviews)

• no hikes , managers don't bother about growth (in 354 reviews)

1. "A Total Waste of 4 Years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work remotely and somewhat of a work/life balance

Cons

No recognition in any way of good work or accomplishments, no raises in 4 years, no career growth. I was offered one salary by a director initially, then it was cut back by $10K by the 'VP' saying I needed to 'grow into the job.' which I already had years of experience in. Pathetic way of saying, 'we're cheap' but we may employ you for a little while.

Advice to Management

You fail miserably at motivating your employees with any type of reason to stay at Oracle. Today I was told I'm laid off, with no warning, no 'improve your performance', no marks on my good work record to even justify it. Keep hiring Mexican employees at 1/4 of the salary U.S. based employees make as you have been doing and you will not have the dedicated workforce you once had. I'm sure my higher salary and age had everything to do with being let go. Shameful place to work. Wish I never joined there now. My career was set back 4 years.

"Product Management"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits for the entire family.

Good pay across all job roles in product, sales, and services.

Lots of acquisitions and other product families to move internally if your division is failing.

Cons

Poor mid-level executive leadership. CGBU is poorly run with cuts over many quarters.

Product investments are continually reduced.

Not a good company for entrepreneurs.

Advice to Management

Oracle is great at buying companies but awful at keeping talent for organic growth.

"Run as fast as you can"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Oracle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros about this place was the co-workers. Aside from them making the place bearable, the only perk was leaving at 4 since you had no work.

Cons

Unfortunately, you get absolutely NOTHING to do. Imagine sitting in a cubicle for 8 hours a day starring at a wall and that's your job at oracle. They do not train you at all and really push learning everything on your own, which is not efficient. They also tell you (after hire) that you will not move up or increase your salary for the first three years. If you have absolutely no motivation to work or move up in your career then oracle is the place for you! During my time at Oracle 5 people out of 12 team members quit in under a year... that goes to show just how awful the place really is.

Advice to Management

Utilize your employees and do not hire everyone and there brother just for headcount reasons. Stop boring people to tears and give them the career your promised them during interviews.

"Doesn't care about employeeds"

Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

lots of red tape, no room for raises, impossible quotas,

Advice to Management

fix everything in the sales organization or continue to see the mass exodus

"Get 2 years, then RUN"

Former Employee - Business Process Analyst V in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Business Process Analyst V in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people at the real worker level. Lots of diversity. Lots of experience and varying backgrounds from all the acquisitions. Was able to work from home and travel domestic and international. The first couple of years were great. But read on for the bad news...

Cons

NO RAISES. Seriously, in 7 years, nothing. None of my co-workers got anything either. And don't think this is about performance because I did get a promotion after I got a masters degree. Just no money to go with it. Executive management is VERY political and back-stabbing. Also, you can't transfer up into a higher grade or salary. It's not allowed. For someone like myself working from home in a remote location, when they stopped allowing travel, that was the writing on the wall.

Advice to Management

The bad reputation Oracle has is all about YOU. Give your employees respect and at least a cost of living raise each year. Also, when you say you're going to do something, actually do it. That's called integrity. Get some. How about aspiring to be one of the best employers rather than buying islands and racing yachts?

Advice for people considering Oracle: Don't plan to stay. Get your couple of years experience and place on the resume, but then leave. The older you get, I don't care how much experience you have or that great degree, they will not respect you.

"corporate america at its worst"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the startups they have acquired have innovative people and exciting products

Cons

HORRIFIC corporate red tape, internal systems, rigid (and often illogical) processes - a complete nightmare of an employee experience

Advice to Management

treat your staff like you'd treat your customers - their experience matters too

"Pre-Sales Engineer Comp Plans are comical"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most people that work that are not qualified to be in the position that they are in; giving you the opportunity to shine at every corner.

SE organization and leadership team is strong

Cons

Possibly the worst Comp plan to ever give the SE organization for FY17

The worst sales reps and managers to ever fill seats

Management is not in tune with the actual problems and can not seem to fix them

Advice to Management

Seriously, cut this class of program. It hasn't worked and it will not work. Since the program started we have not come close to hitting any budgets and it's embarrassing. It's bad enough that this is the only organization where the SC's basically have to hand hold the sales reps on prospecting, account planning and deal management - the SC's get zero support from the sales regional managers. Most regional sales managers have never cold called a day in their life and can not coach these class of's.

For FY17 and possibly FY18 they changed the SE comp plans with 2 buckets that are completely out of our control. This growth bucket is impossible for us to impact if the useless ASR's don't make calls. After 3 qtrs I am over 25K less in comp than I was last year. Not only that we are working 3 times harder.

By Q4 or end of Q4 get ready for the mass exodus of SE's....hopefully these incompetent executives don't replace them with class of SC's.

"So long and thanks for all the progress I made in my favorite MMO"

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Chicago, IL

I worked at Oracle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good initial compensation.
    - Benefits are confusing, but solid.
    - Customers take you seriously due to the pedigree.

Cons

- Everything seems to be getting worse all the time; benefit reductions, elimination of stipends, elimination of overtime.
    - Push you to sell extraordinarily immature cloud products.
    - Falling further and further behind competitors.
    - Because Oracle uses Oracle ERP products, tracking time or managing expenses is a massive pain. Like it can take hours to fill out an expense report.

Advice to Management

Oracle recruited me HARD from a job at which I was very happy, then laid me off nine months later because the product I supported has zero momentum in a crowded market. I was honestly involved in three sales cycles that entire time. What a joke.

If the plan is to do to Oracle what Mark Hurd did to HP - offshore the entire company to strip-mine it for profits - just do it in a hurry. Every day something gets taken away at Oracle.

10. "Application Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Applications Sales Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Sales Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you have the ability to make a lot of money only if you are lucky

Cons

terrible management that has no experience

Advice to Management

treat your employees like human peoples.

"No career growth path, no raises/bonuses, skimpy vacation with a week stolen at year end."

Former Employee - Consulting Member of Technical Staff in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Consulting Member of Technical Staff in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really can't think of any. I guess I made some friends.

Cons

Cut throat culture, very much sink or swim. There's no opportunity for career growth. After close to 25 years I only had 3 weeks of vacation, of which the company forced everyone to take a week of vacation at the end of the year. I used to think I was making a difference and developing software that was important- finding 10's of thousands of bugs, but it didn't matter. Frustration with the vacation policy, lack of raises/bonuses/stock options, and feeling unappreciated as a long time developer of the company's flagship along with watching money being wasted on building a high school all added up and caused me to walk away and retire.

Advice to Management

Oracle really needs to decide if keeping long term developers is important. Appropriately rewarding people and not stealing their limited vacation time would go a long way toward turning this around. Stop wasting money on non mission critical projects like the high school. Stop getting involved in politics and stay away from Trump.

Showing 858 of 14,443 reviews