Oracle Reviews | Glassdoor

3,903 Ratings

16,010 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You're compensated with the flexibility between personal/work life balance for that anyway (in 288 reviews)

• no hikes , managers don't bother about growth (in 394 reviews)

"It is a very fulfilling experience."

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Oracle is a large organization with a lot of opportunity and a lot of challenges. I have also grown my skills a good amount.

Cons

It is a large organization with obvious levels of bureaucracy. You need to know steps in each level in order to achieve goals.

Advice to Management

I think it is better to diversify into other business opportunities, rather than concentrating on one section.

"This is a great place to work, but negotiate a high starting salary."

Current Employee - Principal Research Scientist in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Research Scientist in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Oracle creates more than 100 complex software applications that provide tremendous opportunities for creative designers to improve and thereby improve the efficiency and satisfaction of millions of corporate professionals. Each of these applications provides access to enormous amounts of data. As a user interface designer specializing in data visualization, working at Oracle gives me rich challenges and opportunities for bringing my experience to bear on solving complex problems and designing rich interactions. The people I work with here are intelligent, professional, and productive. Management is receptive to creative ideas and free with recognition and support. On the whole, I have to say this is the best job I have had in my career of more than 20 years in the software industry.

Cons

While Oracle management provides plenty of benefits, recognition, support, flexible hours, and stock options, it remains very difficult to get raises -- even small cost-of-living raises. One of my colleagues has worked here for six years without a raise. The lack of raises has the negative effect of causing a lot of people to leave Oracle for more lucrative positions, which, in turn causes everyone else to have to spend a lot of time interviewing new job applicants. Also, because the nature of the technology industry is so complex, new people require a tremendous amount of time to come up to speed on both internal tools and systems as well as business practices.

Advice to Management

I would focus a bit less on buying other companies and instead invest some money on compensating employees.

3. "Very Good Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westchester, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westchester, IL

Pros

The people I work with are Wonderful, We have a Great Team. Everyone gets along with everyone and always willing to help each other out at anytime. I never have to worry about competition or jealousy among co-workers. I enjoy coming to work each and everyday. IF YOUR NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR JOB THEN IT MAKES IT FOR A DIFFICULT WORKING DAY

Cons

Sometimes it takes along time for Management to approve certain things but with the state of the economy today and right now I am sure that has alot to do with them being cautious about spending and budgets at the moment. I also think that sometimes things are done a little backwards, but when you own a big corporation you need to make the decisions that are best suited for everyone involved

Advice to Management

To always remember and recognize the little things as well as the big things. Another piece of advice I have is that if you have a contracted employee that really does a great job for you, let that person come on board as an employee because those are the people that will truly make a difference in your company and in productivity.

4. "Oracle is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great atmoshpere to work in, and you are around very smart people all of the time. The management is extremely attenuated about the industry and sales in general. I have found that from the lowest person in the totem pole to the highest person in the totem pole are competent and understanding of how their role impacts sales and the company as a whole. This company if focused on their customer business problems, and are creating solutions that work.

Cons

Onboarding after being hired is a slow process, like at any large company.

Advice to Management

n/a

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Great place to work. Great technology, great products, smart people. Opportunities to learn are everywhere. Good management, practical and results-oriented. Ability to define your career. Flexible.

Cons

Downsides of any huge company.

Advice to Management

- - - - -

"Great work life balance in a non-startup that's entering innovative enterprise applications built on solid platforms."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

It's not a startup. You get your work done then you go home (or you are already there); none of this working 80 hours a week. There are some very innovative products to work on. There are plenty of opportunities to move around within the company. If you are on a good development team, which I am, all these are true: everyone is passionate about developing (coding) the product, we get some product management and usability experience, we get to use all the cool tools and libraries available out there and we analyze and learn a lot from competing products.

Cons

There aren't enough innovative products to work on. Enterprise applications are catching up to consumer applications (Web 2.0, etc). There aren't enough people blogging so many of the products don't hit mainstream news. Many of the products take too long to get developed because of the overhead that is created by a big software company, but Oracle does come with many useful synergies and other products that can be leveraged, mainly the database. A few other downsides are that much of the company is middle aged (we need more young people) and food is a tad expensive but not bad.

Advice to Management

Senior Management has a good vision. The mergers and acquisitions have all been very well integrated. In their review of the direction, usability and innovation of different products they provide good feedback back down to the developers and product management.

7. "Oracle is a very large company and a great place to work."

Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

There are only 3 companies like this globally, that offers one the oppurtunity to work in all major software areas.

Cons

There are only 3 companies like this globally, that offers one the oppurtunity to work in all major software areas this is a drawback when looking at other competitive companies to find employment

Advice to Management

Keep talking to the troops on the ground.

8. "Strong Growth Opoortunities for Self-Motivated People"

Current Employee - Product Strategy Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Strategy Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Oracle offers Incredible growth opportunities, both as a company and personally. Given its numerous acquisitions and license growth, opportunities present themselves around every corner.

Cons

Oracle is a very large, complex organization and can sometimes be difficult to determine where to go or to whom to speak for information and answers. The company relies a great deal on self-service, for things like HR and benefits enrollment, expenses, etc., but sometimes can be overly reliant on this - sometimes you just simply need to talk to a person.

Advice to Management

Work through business plans and product rationalization prior to making additional acquisitions.

9. "Great place, great environment"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Burlington, MA

Pros

Great projects that really challenge you intellectually.
    Great flexibility that allows you to work in a place, time, and environment that really suits you.

Cons

The size of the team and/or company is too big to maintain overall big picture of what the company is trying to do.

Advice to Management

Have more meetings to brief us the general direction of the product.

10. "Oracle is a very nice company to work for."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Very flexible working hours and reasonable workload. You will work with other talented ppl and everyone is helpful and will share his/her ideas with you. You will be proud of your group. The time between your work and your family is well balanced. Things are pretty well planned and you will feel very stable working for Oracle. You will have enough time to stay with your family and/or enjoy your hobbies. Oracle also provides a lot of internal trainings to the employees to develop various skills. Not to mention the nice onsite gym that every Oracle employee loves. Someone likes the free lunch that is provided by some companies, but I'd rather have the time and flexibility to enjoy the lunch at home with the family.

Cons

It's a big company, so sometimes things are slow, but be patient, everything will go through finally.

Advice to Management

Keep going!

Showing 16,010 of 16,350 reviews