Oracle Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Oracle CEO's Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd
Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You're compensated with the flexibility between personal/work life balance for that anyway (in 288 reviews)

• no hikes , managers don't bother about growth (in 400 reviews)

1. "Very Poor Culture and Bad Customer Approach"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Oracle is a rich company and some of the products are very good

Cons

Very poor culture inside the company from the top down. 5 layers of VP from CEO to the Major Act Mgr level. Many product "pillars" (teams) competing within the Org driving different product solutions and engagements with the same customers and contacts. Constant internal conflict between teams within the company and confusing messaging to customers who are unable to find a trusted advisor. Sales planning sessions are little more than beating sessions for management to fault those at lower levels. Very uncompetitive base salary for an Org where sales opportunities can be killed overnight by competing sales interests within the company. Some customers have experienced multiple large scale failures of core technology in production environments and are working hard to move away.
     Oracle has some excellent people at the low levels of the Org working directly with customers and some excellent people at the top driving big initiatives.

Advice to Management

Fix your culture. Your customers and employees will thank you and you can still earn lots of money.

2. "Enterprise sales for large named Telco accounts and FSI cloud team"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The name - Oracle - that’s about it. It looks great on resumes for future jobs. People are all very smart that work there but when the average tenure is 11 months, start looking elsewhere ASAP...my advice, just cozy up internally with counterparts on your team who may be willing to give a rev share cuz that’s the only way you’ll make money in the internal department - push paper for reps on your team in the field who get deals handed to them.

Cons

Great name - that's truly it! Looks great on paper and other people outside Oracle think it's impressive, that it's cutthroat, that "if you made it at Oracle, you can anywhere"! This is true, but mainly because you got a glimpse of how awful the "dark side" can be. The good news, every job after will be amazing because it doesn't get much worse. For example: changing quotas literally 5 times in one fiscal year - especially if a rep is getting close to hitting their number. Sounds like an exaggeration or illegal? Well it is true and they are getting sued for this currently by hundreds of reps but Oracle's team of lawyers have done the math cost/benefit ratio and they've calculated its still more in their financial benefit to continue dragging out lawsuits for years, reinvesting money they withhold in paying commissions to sales reps (another lawsuit pending) and other shady practices than to actually (God forbid) do the ETHICAL thing 1)pay reps on time 2) not consistently manipulate quotas 3) don't shuffle territory's only to benefit Oracle, nobody else...seriously the list goes on but I am leaving next week to go onto a top tier organization that actually innovates and fosters creativity, hard work, great positive people NOT how to cook the books (like they did with the recent AT&T "purchases" or rely on their on-premises successes they've stretched out for the last 30+ years! I highly recommend doing your due diligence and not taking my word for it but asking others in sales that currently work there...

Advice to Management

Try to actually show some leadership and interest in employee development. Don’t treat the oracle direct team line they don’t matter and work with your team/have a pulse in the culture and listen to what your reps are saying instead of just hiring new people to keep up with the terrible turnover and morale

"Enforced Stagnation and Complacency"

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You'll always have something productive to work on. The health benefits are decent. Theres a gym I guess.

Cons

Ive been with this company for nearly 6 years and every year, I post an updated review since the nature of business has drastically changed...for the worst. Here's the cons for 2017:

Strict Attendance Policy. In the years Ive worked here, this has NEVER been an issue until recently. My manager started to reprimand me like a elementary school kid whenever I was a couple minutes late coming in, going on break, or leaving for the day. It made absolutely no sense considering my my senior level and my positive track record of abiding to deadlines. Why fish for problems that aren't there? If Ive been arriving at the time I have for the past half-decade while getting my projects completed, then why create unnecessary conflict? As long as the work is getting done, this shouldnt matter. Why does it now all of a sudden?

Unstable/Unprofessional Management. It seems like a new manager roles in every 4-6 months and lacks the basic knowledge/interest of the guidelines and protocol. In the past, there some tenure and longevity to the people in charge. Now, they come and go like a turnstile.

Speaking of turnstile, the same can be said about employees. Again, nobody sticks around as they used to and it becomes an issue to senior level people like myself who has to constantly train and micro-manage these people. Its time can be better spent innovating and brainstorming new concepts instead of being preoccupied by babysitting all these newbies.

No Events/No Work Balance/No Vacations. This is probably the biggest insult to a long time employee. Our monthly BBQs, parties, and such have been completely eliminated. When were constantly under tight deadlines and bombarded with P1 projects, you expect the company to cut you break. Provide some type of incentive or acknowledgement of our efforts. But this year, its been like working at a sweatshop. We dont even go out to company lunches anymore unless someone is quitting. Its sad how our holiday parties were held at some swanky hotel in San Francisco, with catered food and beverages. Now, were lucky if the employees pool together some cash to throw some gathering in the kitchen. Thats our holiday parties as of 2017! Potlocks and beer that WE pay for. You want entertainment at Oracle? Well....theres a ping pong table....yep. But if you want an actual break, as in PTO, then good luck arranging it. Thanks to the Summer Vacation Breakout policy, you are now forced to work through the entire summer (May-Oct) without time off. It sounds surreal and perplexing, but its a REAL policy that got approved. There's gotta be a code of enthics or labor laws being broken here cause burning people out like that is unhealthy psychically and mentally.

Pay Raises/Promotions. Dont expect them. Ive been with this company for nearly 6 years and its like pulling teeth to convince upper management about advancing your career. I work in brand and creative and was told upfront that there is no growth and career evolution. Youre stuck on a treadmill and never going anywhere. Literally, a dead end job. Hearing this straight from Oracle really shows how much they care about their staff.

Speaking of purgatory, if you hate innovation and technological progress, then Oracle is the place for you. For a company that prides itself on moving forward with cloud based..everything, they're still stuck in the mid 2000s in terms of design and aesthetics. Its almost pathetic how the assets and components used on the site are 7 years outdated. Their stubborn attitude and dinosauric ways are some of the reasons Oracle is viewed at as an oblivious grandpa who thinks he's hip. It's infuriating how many pitch meetings Ive been involve with by having fresh new concepts rejected cause they're too ambitious. Well, have fun being stuck in the pre-responsive period and wonder why our assets dont translate well on mobile devices. I go through these arguments on a weekly basis!

Advice to Management

Get a clue! Your questionable new policies and budget cuts are contributing the gradual downfall of this once great company. Respect your employees, provide the motivation to keep them around, and be more open-minded to new creative ideas. It seems oddly suspect that after Larry Ellison stepped down as CEO, things gradually went downhill and its only getting worse.

4. "Overall this company is Not recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Don't recommend this company for the career growth.

Cons

No career growth. Very poor pay package, not good benefits. Development Managers are insecured of their own roles so treat their employees poorly.

"No raise or growth. No bonus. No stock awards.Nothing"

Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Coworkers are nice. Most of them are planning to work there until retirement. If you don't care about making more money or plan on starting your own business, it is a good place to hideout.

Cons

No raise or growth at all. No bonus most of the years. No stock awarded. Absolutely nothing! They eliminated tracked vacation time to cut cost.

Advice to Management

Treat your engineers better so they will stay or do more willing work.

"Enterprise Sales Account Manager"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only positive about Oracle is the name...that's literally it. Sounds great, looks great on resume but it is the biggest facade. If you get lucky with accounts and are an on-premises sales rep, you might make some money pushing through obligatory sales, but not by driving value, working hard or doing the right thing.

Cons

The absolute worst company to work for...period. If you are interested in learning, growing professionally or making money, do not work here. If you just want the facade of the Oracle name on your resume, then work here and leave after a few years - if you can make it -the average tenure is 11 months. Most reps start at 50k base which is a joke. Directors and managers couldn't care less about the sales reps they oversee as far as professional development or providing any direction - there is no clear path to success or promotion. The KPI for success is to try to get a field rep or VP willing to share revenue on a deal they only achieved through the "buddy wink wink, shake hands behind closed doors" archaic sales model - who you know not what you do. When I started over a year and a half ago and was negotiating salary the manager responded with "this is Oracle. Figure it out. We don't need to pay high salaries or invest in our employees. If you don't like it, go somewhere else. We'll find ten other reps willing to fill your shoes". They don't even pay employees on time!!! I've been waiting over a year to receive a sales commission and still haven't received!!!! Not to mention in the middle of the fiscal year when I was about to close a deal, I received an email stating my comp plan is being adjusted and I have to sign it or I will not be employed or compensated (which is illegal and yes, they lowered the % of comp and on a side note, they are getting sued for this (amongst other matters) by hundreds of employees but have a full team of lawyers ready to delay delay delay the process in hopes people will just give up). Shocked how shady, slimy, devious and just shameless this company is as a whole. Last week they gave an award to an employee who was on leave for the entire quarter but on paper, they miraculously hit their number...that person wasn't even in the office or working! The manager pushed the customers orders through to help his/her own personal number, which shows how insignificant the sales reps role was - it was a "sale" but the customer had to buy because oracle forced the customers hand, riding the wave of Oracles previous stronghold on the database landscape. Good luck in the cloud!!! The Oracle name still carries weight though and has a good appearance to those on the outside. But what a fantastic facade they've pulled off. Kudos to their PR team and Oracle arena. Get candidates in there straight out of college, when they are young, naive, and have no basis for comparison. Work them to death so they leave on their own, don't pay them, then just hire more and more reps the next year to take their spots. They can't hire fast enough to keep up with their attrition! I obviously could write even more about the shady inner workings of this horrible excuse for a company but please just do your diligence - just ask current/former reps what their experience has been and I would bet my measly salary you will hear the same discontent. Nobody wants to share this though because if word really got out about the truth behind the flagship name, then it would threaten the one thing Oracle has going for it - the name/credibility on the resume when applying for jobs to get out.

Advice to Management

Pretend you care. Stop treating the sales team like they are glorified BDC's. Actually do something about the terrible culture and Larry's apathetic, arrogant attitude because it's going to catch up with you soon. Its only a matter of time that the reputation oracle built 20 years ago will run out and you will actually have to start caring about your employees. Stop ONLY looking after number 1 and start doing your job.

7. "Join, learn and quit"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Learning, Remote work, gym, some people are very knowledge and great to work with while others are downright stupid

Cons

no raise, no growth, inefficient & arrogant managers, bad politics, Brown nosing keeps your job safe and not your technical skills and hard work. Most managers were coders at one point and have 0 people management skills

Advice to Management

pay more to retain talent

"Polictics overflowing!!!"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are an average developer you can finish your tasks with minimal amount of effort and still outperform others. In nutshell you can go home very early, what you do with your free time is up to you.

Cons

Polictics, polictics, ..., polictics. Depends in which group you are in, but if average number of years of people in your group is around 13 years, watch your back.
    These people are lazy to learn anything and since they know they can't get jobs anywhere else, they will back stab others and play politics on a whole new level. But the bright side is since most of the developers and architects know nothing, when I decided to interview at other companies and they asked "tell me about a design decision you disagreed with?" I had tons to talk about. One interviewer cracked up saying "that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard" and an another interviewer said "no one does it like that". My patience ran out when manager hired her friend from her Chinese group who didn't work last 5 out of his 6 years and before that he was a call center manager and yet he got a high level engineer position. He was the most arrogant/stubborn person I have ever met where he refused to admit that he is wrong even when shown that his code doesn't work and what's funnier is when I presented Mozilla, HTML5Rocks, 3rd party, Stackoverflow, and etc references showing that he is doing it wrong; he replied back "they are doing it wrong and this is right". After being fed up told manager about it and she replied back "be nice to <blah>, he is nice" and I thought to myself "wtf does nice have to do with checking in broken code". Afterwards she said "he can check in his change and you can fix it, because we are a team". So of course he checks in the broken code with all the tests failing and I had to clean up the mess...yeah teamwork lol.

9. "Principal QA Analyst"

Former Employee - Principal QA Analyst in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Principal QA Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time

Pros

can't think of any pros at this time.

Cons

No promotions or pay increases.

"A Total Waste of 4 Years"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work remotely and somewhat of a work/life balance

Cons

No recognition in any way of good work or accomplishments, no raises in 4 years, no career growth. I was offered one salary by a director initially, then it was cut back by $10K by the 'VP' saying I needed to 'grow into the job.' which I already had years of experience in. Pathetic way of saying, 'we're cheap' but we may employ you for a little while.

Advice to Management

You fail miserably at motivating your employees with any type of reason to stay at Oracle. Today I was told I'm laid off, with no warning, no 'improve your performance', no marks on my good work record to even justify it. Keep hiring Mexican employees at 1/4 of the salary U.S. based employees make as you have been doing and you will not have the dedicated workforce you once had. I'm sure my higher salary and age had everything to do with being let go. Shameful place to work. Wish I never joined there now. My career was set back 4 years.

Showing 110 of 16,401 reviews