Orange County Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Barbara M. Jenkins, Ed.D

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Evaluation System very subjective (based off relationship with supervisor)" (in 11 reviews)

• "They require a lot from teachers, but the pay does not match the amount of time and effort to meet these demands" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Teacher"

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time

Pros

Supportive Administration; Great Schedule; Pay

Cons

High Stress; Performance Pay; Lots of work outside of normal hours

2. "Classroom Teacher"

Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Classroom Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job Security, working closely with co-workers, relationship building with students and families

Cons

workload, expectations from administration can be overwhelming

3. "Surplus/Supply divisions"

Current Employee - Secretary in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Secretary in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, environment, hours, and location

Cons

No overtime but four day week in summer

4. "OCPS Long Term Sub"

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time

Pros

Work school hours
    Everyday is different
    Learn other things like discipline.
    Being around kids
    Able to grow.

Cons

No holiday pay
    You don't sub everyday.
    Big company
    Compensation

5. "OCPS is an AVERAGE Employer"

Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have gotten to experience working with so many different families in different communities. It is great to get to influence and build relationships with the youth of or future.

Cons

OCPS has a lot of demands on tasks that DO NOT affect student learning, taking away from the time you could spend on making engaging and effective lessons. They require a lot from teachers, but the pay does not match the amount of time and effort to meet these demands.

6. "Media Specialist"

Current Employee - Media Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Media Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Get to work with the latest technologies in education and are the leader in the LaunchEd initiative.

Cons

Your evaluation is based on principal bias and school test scores. If your school does poorly, your salary increase will be less.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders that are great leaders that are great with people skills and embrace technology changes. Leaders that are verbally abusive and controlling reduce moral in an already difficult workplace.

7. "Okay"

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time

Pros

Good insurance and benefits for dental and vision

Cons

Not compensated for work outside of contract hours

8. "No time for teaching, paper work paper work"

I worked at Orange County Schools full-time

Pros

I enjoyed my Co workers

Cons

Told I “Was not a fit” at a school I worked at for 7 years when new leadership came
    No support from leadership

"Funding and District Trumps Education"

Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Apopka, FL
    Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Apopka, FL

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Employer Match
    Ability to reach students

Cons

Although this is a bottom of the barrel Title 1 school, I am constantly surrounded by underqualified and unmotivated teachers. The support I have received in my first year or so is shoddy at best, with much of it coming from district initiatives that are hot garbage. Admin uses scare tactics and "gotcha" moments to come down on teachers who may otherwise be doing fine.

These people up at the district are trying their hardest to reinvent the wheel and put a bandaid fix on problems that run too deep for it to work. I am being forced to keep students on a track that they are not nearly ready to tackle because they are years behind in level. 11th graders reading and writing at a middle school level cannot comprehend and analyze 11th grade texts, no matter how many close reading, chunking, and scaffolding strategies are used, because they still do not understand the very basics of the broken down parts. Even if these strategies are used, the amount of time needed for them to be effective does not exist, because heaven forbid we get behind a day on our district provided plans. I have 11th graders that struggle to complete an elementary level paragraph. I have 11th graders that struggle with basic vocabulary, and are subsequently failing all of their classes, yet somehow moved on from 9th and 10th grade. Who has stopped to say, "Wait, this student hasn't learned anything. Something isn't working, he needs help."?

Who thought it was a good idea to remove reading novels from high school English?

Advice to Management

Focus on student achievement and supporting struggling teachers. If a student has a phone out during a walkthrough, how about docking the student, not the teacher for poor classroom management. How about asking for the documentation that teacher has on that student's behaviour before questioning the teacher's classroom management or monitoring ability.

At the district level, how about focusing on student achievement, not test scores and being compared to other counties. I guarantee if money was spent on teacher salaries and tutors for students, instead of testing, student achievement would skyrocket.

"Unless you commute on a Pegasus and control the elements, it’s an uphill battle"

Current Employee - Intensive Reading Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Intensive Reading Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It’s obvious everyone is working hard to create a façade of friendliness. Everything is about customer service. Two stars for caring about creating that culture (despite how completely ludicrous it is when litmus tested to reality).

Cons

Everything is fake and fluffed, from the discipline to the support to the instructional quality. The required curriculum for intensive reading is boring and I teach struggling readers who loathe it but my evaluations suggest that I engage students more. How? With treats (but no one wants to discuss the ethics of food based rewards OR that those treats can only be funded out of my salary) and constant praise. The only exaggeration in that is my face when I praise a 14 year old for taking out a pencil without being asked.

The entire culture is to suck the life out of you then give you poor evaluations for things out of your control - not to mention what the students think you can control.

Basically, if you want to teach remedial reading at a Title I school, your best hope is to fly in on a Pegasus each morning with the vigor of Achilles and the power to move mountains. Oh, are those expectations to high?

If you have a passion for teaching literacy, don’t attempt it here because it’s the opposite of what you’ll do. My work day is all dealing with behavior problems and putting on a show of genuine learning.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending you want to hire passionate, intelligent, creative teachers when you actually want lifeless drones who live at work and love taking abuse daily to achieve nothing of significance. Nothing about this job requires intelligence, creative, or an advanced education.