Orange County Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Barbara M. Jenkins, Ed.D

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The evaluation system for teachers is subjective (in 8 reviews)

• As of right now there are no cons (in 5 reviews)

1. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Apopka, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Apopka, FL

I worked at Orange County Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, environment, colleagues, and schedule.

Cons

Paper work and child behaviors.

Advice to Management

More support for teachers.

"Great opportunity for growth through therapy training programs, if you're okay being "Overworked and underpaid""

Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist
    Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist

I worked at Orange County Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. You will get a lot of free training (see cons section) and training opportunities through the AAC department, FDLRS (free PECS, Boardmaker & Kagan Trainings!), your PLC (group of therapists) and the Speech/Language department( SGM, vocabulary, etc.). They actually teach therapy strategies in their workshops, not just OCPS procedures.

2. OCPS Speech/Language is an ASHA CEU provider, so you get free CEUs! If you need them, you could get your 30 hours in just by doing your mandatory 1st year trainings.

3. They have a dedicated mentoring staff. The mentoring staff actually come out to see you and help "get it done" when you are overburdened with the excessive paperwork. The ones I had were very kind (even though they were overwhelmed themselves!) and empathetic.

4. The other SLPs I worked with were also kind and willing to help. They shared their completed lesson plans and helped out with learning the OCPS "system" of doing things.

5. The administrative assistant, Lovie, is just a wonderful person and willing to help with what she can (if she's still there when you're reading this).

6. OCPS Speech/Language orders materials for you. They are heavy on Story Grammar Marker and make sure those materials (including the books) are on your campus. The Speech/Language department lets you borrow materials as well.

7. OCPS reimburses for mileage to workshops. The trade off is you need to take an online course and fill out additional paperwork to get the money back, but it saves a hundred to a few hundred dollars over the course of the school year.

Cons

1. Your 1st year with OCPS, the SLP department fills most of your "Non-therapy/Catch-up" days with trainings and meetings. So, don't count on those days to get your paperwork, planning, evals, make-up sessions or misc. items done each week.

2. They are understaffed with SLPs due to budget ( though they advocate for more SLP allocations every year, from what I hear). Everyone is floundering to get the work done; it's not just you.

3. As an SLP at OCPS, you'll be subjected to being evaluated according to Marzano principles, though it's not exactly a fit for SLPs. Worse, nearly every aspect of Marzano is evaluated (although at different times during the year).

4. The pay doesn't compensate enough for all the work they expect out of you, even with the higher education supplement for a Master's and benefits. You have the same compensation plight as a teacher does because you're on the same pay scale, unlike OTs and PTs. I know this field is a labor of love, but life still costs money.

5. Between paperwork, planning, meetings, trainings, therapy, observations, FTE, evaluations, inventory, office politics and just life--the load is overwhelming. Some of the higher ups seemed to have a chip on their shoulder about it and tried to convince us that the workload wasn't ridiculous and we were the ones being ridiculous for saying so. There's a reason there's such high turnover in the schools and SLPs only last a short time on average.

Advice to Management

Keep advocating for more therapists to bring the workload down to a tolerable level .

Keep the mentors; they're a valuable asset.

Stick to one or two aspects of Marzano principles, if you must evaluate by them. But, advocate for another method of SLP evaluations.

Until you've developed an SLP cloning system, be more empathetic about the workload, especially for newbies.

3. "Great district"

Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great district to work for. My first year was a smooth transition, but my AP and my mentors made it easy on me.

Cons

like any teaching job in America, pay is ok.

4. "Cogs in a machine"

Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to help kids grow as people. Raises have been steady although minimal, just enough to barely keep up with inflation. Other opportunities to make more money. Work environment can be fun with the right people. Overall its a great place to work, but you'll see that it falls victim to the same things education has fallen to everywhere else... PS with all the holliday breaks, summer, and 3-4 day weekends.... you only really work a total of 9 months!

Cons

Always seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Poor communication among and between all levels. Focus is always on scores and testing. Plenty of time wasted on meetings and useless paper work.

Advice to Management

Treat your teachers like people. Not like cogs in a machine. And tell us exactly what you want. Stop being vague and unclear. Model what you expect. And follow through with discipline.

5. "Speech Language Clinician"

Former Employee - Speech Language Clinician in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Speech Language Clinician in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Orange County Schools part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional Development opportunities and training always available.

Cons

Have to abide by state standards

6. "Teaching isn't what it used to be."

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy having summers off but not getting paid over the summer is very stressful. I am currently looking for a better paying, more satisfying job.

Cons

Not getting paid over the summer. Feeling underappreciated. The level of disrespect from parents, students and administration is real. With 10 years in the field I am currently seeking a career change.

Advice to Management

Support your teachers, we are working toward a common goal.

7. "Teacher"

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time

Pros

Average pay for teachers; Summers off

Cons

Too many hours for no additional compensation or recognition

Advice to Management

Reduce workload

8. "OCPS GREAT PLACE TO WORK"

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time

Pros

Connecting with others is empowering

Cons

none at all not bad

9. "Tech Representative"

I have been working at Orange County Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, not micromanaged. Good for entry level position or to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Too much work for very little pay.

10. "....."

Pros

It was really great being there

Cons

No major cons to report