Orbis Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Dynamic Workplace"

I have been working at Orbis Technologies full-time

Pros

Like other recent reviews have said, you learn a ton in short time, which can be daunting at first, but overall a very worthwhile experience. Co-workers are friendly, laid-back, and easy to work with- let alone being very talented at what they do. It's a dynamic workplace meaning you will learn the various aspects of the software development life cycle. which makes it a great place to start your career.

Cons

Organization and transparency could use a little work.

Advice to Management

Keep going strong.

"Great Career Opportunity - See for Yourself"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Orbis Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Orbis Technologies is a great place to work if you are looking for a challenging experience that will provide you with the opportunity to work with talented people with great personalities that are always willing to help. Furthermore, Orbis Technologies has great compensations that you will not find anywhere else.

Cons

Pay once a month; however, with that said while it may take some getting used to, it is normal operations for many companies that work directly with the government.

Advice to Management

Keep going the way you are going. Great experiences working here at Orbis Technologies

"Don't always believe what you read, folks"

I have been working at Orbis Technologies full-time

Pros

- If you are willing to work hard, be challenged, and have a positive attitude, working at Orbis will be very rewarding.
    - In addition to a tremendous benefits package that rivals anything that you will find anywhere, you will get guidance at every step of the way and have very honest feedback about your promotion prospects.
    - There have been some complaints on here about our CEO, which are understandable, yet unfair. Brian is a passionate and demanding leader, but there is nothing wrong with demanding excellence. If you're like me and ever worked for people who barely gave a damn, you'll love working for Brian and the rest of the upper management team.

Cons

- You get paid once a month, which is not a terrible con to have, but can be a problem for some people. Anyone that has worked for the government or other government contractors will be familiar with such a pay system.

Advice to Management

- Don't stop striving for greatness, don't get complacent. The sky is the limit.

"See for yourself or it will be your loss"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Orbis Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will learn in a few months what it would take years to learn somewhere else. Everyone goes to lunch and happy hours together and will help you if you get stuck on a project. You will get three weeks of vacation your first year and it goes up after that. They like to promote from within. I almost listened to the reviews and turned the job down but I'm a see for myself kind of person and I'm glad I gave them a chance. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon unless they do a 180 from what they're doing now.

Cons

The pay is good and the benefits are good as well. The only con is that you will only be reimbursed if you drive 50 miles or more one way. I don't like this but with my salary and benefits, I'm happy that's the only con.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to improve the company. You are headed in the right direction.

"Lots of Potential Completely Wasted"

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Orbis Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

Great at hiring good talent, some very bright people, teams were collaborative and all the developers I worked with were bright. The Project Leads were talented as well, and I have to applaud the work they have done in trying to fulfill unrealistic expectations of management team (mainly CEO)

Cons

As stated before, the main problems at Orbis lie within the uppermost management. Abusive CEO, almost textbook like an abusive relationship, requirements could change at a moment's notice, not being able to read his mind was punished with verbal abuse. I never was yelled at myself, but was in more that one meeting where I would see it happen. The project manager's did their best to shield and defend hard-working development team, but it was an impossible task. Inflexible policies, despite small company size and the fact that the technology industry should allow for some of the most flexible work environments of all. Long hours and overtime expected, without compensation.

It has been said better than I could possibly say it in previous reviews, but it cannot be restated enough.

Advice to Management

Stop running off some great people. I don't understand how this company continues to run as it does, but I would probably attribute it to CEOs slick way with words.

"Software"

Current Employee - Software in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Software in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Orbis Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unique small company where one can gain experience with challenging coding and development of products which is not true of many companies.
    Orbis uses many current virtual cloud technologies and has overall good processes for size. It's a great group of people, many are younger and you will get what you want out of a days work.

Cons

Could be a challenge if you are someone who is not the type to ask questions or take initiative but co-workers are always open to help out when you are stuck.

"It was okay"

Pros

Good people, work in a small company, a lot of new technology.

Cons

The management doesn't have a great strategy in place. Not a great place for professional growth.

"Employee abuse ruins potential for a truly great company"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Orbis Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology with Hadoop and other cloud technologies a staple of software development
    Wonderful customers, if you get the opportunity to brief them, with complex problems to solve
    Friendly, smart, hardworking coworkers that typically try very hard to achieve group success
    Federal government security clearance opportunity
    Some learning and certification opportunities, but only a few
    Mediocre development environment. Tools and processes are outdated. Collaborative development environment with open cubicle seating

Cons

Maniacally ranting CEO truly abusive to developers. Hyde/Jekyll split personality issue where sometimes the CEO is very praising but most times is yelling and demeaning. Similar to an abusive marriage, where the abusing spouse is very apologetic after an abuse episode.
    As mentioned in other reviews, COO is completely lacking of any personality. Rude, offensive, and aggressively intimidating to all employees, except one or two of her "pet" employees. This behavior is even worse if you are female.
    Vision and strategic goals are constantly changing, and not always a product of customer change
    CEO and COO are micro managers, even though neither have a software development background, and truly have no clue of valid software development methodologies or best practices, except what they read in magazines
    Very good talent have been run off by management and management's perspective is simply "we are better off without them"
    Horrible balance of work and personal life. Employees are expected to work through the night, weekends, and holidays if a project is delayed, even if it is not the specific employee's fault

Advice to Management

Look at the talent that has left, and how successful they are today. That success could still be working for you if you could change your management style. Employees do not want to be yelled at nor abused. Telling an employee that they don't know what they are doing is abusive. Most employees that left have left because of your behavior, regardless of what they told you. Many were too scared to tell you the truth, because of concerns that you would target them, but they have voiced their true opinions to others that have also left.
    If you truly want the company to succeed, and you cannot change your management style, then, as suggested in another review, you should fire yourself, and watch the company grow. You still have talent at the company, but it is not with the two of you

"Awesome Place to Learn and Minus One or Two Employees, an Awesome Place to Stay"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Orbis Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the employees are pleasant and fun to work with.
    Great opportunity for more junior developers to learn a slew of technologies in a short period of time.
    New ideas are welcomed and even at a junior level, you can take ownership of an entire project if you have the drive to do so.
    Easy way to obtain a TS clearance for your next move.

Cons

CEO seems to enjoy belittling people if their work does not match his constantly changing stance on how the software should work. I often felt great sympathy when watching developers demonstrate their hard work to him. Knowing that fully meeting the requirements would do nothing to prevent the CEO from screaming (yes, literally scream and pound the desk) because the new requirement that he kept in his head was not fulfilled. He has referenced on many occasions that software developers are inferior to true engineers and it is obvious in how he treats them.
    COO is surprisingly sexist against women. She made enemies of nearly every female in the company and treated them very differently. The expectations were unreasonably high and confrontations were commonplace. I am truly thankful I was not a woman working at Orbis.
    The above two cons are the cause of most other negative statements to be made. The software is primarily driven by people with very little experience because no one wants to put up with the CEO's disdain for software developers for more than a couple years. That affects the quality of the software development process and therefore the software. The COO feels employees should "feel privileged to work for Orbis" when complaints are made about inflexibility or reduction in benefits. Orbis (as a leadership team) is not capable of making a mistake so any complaints tend to be redirected back as the fault of the employee. The COO is incapable of managing individuals and would rather enact broad restricting policies than dealing with a single person taking advantage of any remaining flexibility.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and watch these reviews turn around. I don't believe the personality of the CEO or the lack of interpersonal skills of the COO can be changed. That is the root of the problem and so there is no other advice I can suggest.

"Very friendly work environment, but struggling on the development front"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Orbis Technologies full-time

Pros

- Everyone is incredibly friendly and easy to talk/joke around with.
    - Most people are enthusiastic. If you have an idea, its easy to gather interest around the office
    - If the situation allows it (i.e. no imminent deadlines), people are pretty flexible
    - Developers are 20s to 30s. Project leads are 30s to 40s.

Cons

Poor Development Workflow: Testing, requirements, and development all happen at the same time (this is hinted at in the other review). It is not uncommon to be asked to do something that will later be "out of scope" or undone by a later task. Tickets are split into sprints almost arbitrarily (if they are assigned at all). It is not uncommon for a developer to be unable to give a completion date on a task. I have never seen a true "code freeze." Code reviews are incredibly sparse if they happen at all.

No senior employees: Most developers leave the company after 1-3 years. Currently, a developer there more than a year is a long timer. Teams have been composed of people who are unaware of the technology they are suppose to use. This mean there is a lot of legacy code to decipher and a lot of it was written by people not much more knowledgeable than the new developers.

Taking work home: Work comes home on occasion. It can get severe near deadlines, but is manageable for the most part.

Travel: Most customers don't like us having remote access to their computers or access to the data sets our products are intended to use in production. Therefore, developers may have to travel to customer sites (e.g D.C. or Baltimore areas) weekly or even daily if the situation calls for it. And gas isn't reimbursed unless you are travelling more than 100 miles round trip. This is relatively rare though.

Advice to Management

The office is young (both in age and time spent in the company). There is a lot of enthusiasm, it just needs to be directed more efficiently.

A lot of time is wasted trying to figure things out rather actually doing. Besides documentation, it would be useful to actually revisit old projects. No one writes great code in a new framework/paradigm the first time. Try to replace some of the hacky solutions that were thrown in at the last minute or remove filler/artifacts from previous development work that is no longer used.