Orbit Media Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Web Design"

Former Employee - Web Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbit Media Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Orbit is a great place to work! Management does a great job hiring intelligent, hard-working, and overall great humans. The company prides itself on work/life balance and building a supportive and fun culture. It's a very process-driven company which enables the team to handle the large number of web projects that come through the doors. Very easy to ask questions and learn from fellow teammates.

Cons

Smaller company so not as much room for growth... but the small company vibe could certainly be viewed as a good thing too.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing and supporting your employees! You've created a very fun place to work.

2. "Amazing Place To Work"

Former Employee - Front End Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Front End Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbit Media Studios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The teams are awesome: Top notch devs; Designers push limits; Management is fair and understanding. It feels like a family. The work is challenging and stays at a manageable pace.

Cons

Primarily Wordpress sites. So you may not get to play with the latest JS framework

Advice to Management

Orbit is awesome.

"Amazing place to be and a great team to be here with!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbit Media Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can easily, and confidently say this is the best organization I've worked for and was certainly the best career choice I ever made for myself in joining this team. The atmosphere is electric, the people are great at what they each do, and the approach that we take to our work is ever-evolving!

Pros:
    - Management of this company is top-notch. Two partners who are at the top of their games when it comes to what we do and the foresight to hire a CEO who knows how to make the right decisions for a company.
    - Great team assemblies for the various projects we take on. Great to be able to work with so many different designers and devs.
    - Great processes in place to help write the path to project success for each phase and team member of the project.
    - I'm able to speak freely to any and all management here about anything, from project concerns to personal needs and requests. No barriers!
    - They respect the line between work and family. Get the work done at work, no need to bring it home to take away time from the fam!
    - We create a great energy for visiting clients so that our presentations and conversations are positive and progressive. Creates a great vibe for our clients as well!
    - Orbit has a good number of tools here that, from a PM perspective, gives us what we need to run a project efficiently with the ability to keep a finger on the pulse of everything going on with it.
    - You don't need to know everything about everything here. You just need the ability to ask for help. Someone in this office knows what you need and the answers are always available. This team can knock down anything.
    - Orbit allows me to make the decisions I feel are right for the project, the team, and the clients. And in nearly all of these decisions, Orbit's there to back me with what I need.
    - The activities, both in the workplace and after work (if you so choose), are fun, genuine, and just bring us all a little closer. It just makes this place feel like a family, which is an important aspect for me.

Cons

- We are going through some various process enhancements/adjustments. So there are some growing pains with accommodating new processes while continuing to manage our projects, but we're changing as we learn more and adapting to the needs of our clients. So this would be typical. This should be expected as, internally, we're always trying to make our processes and deliverables better for our teams and clients.
    - Things here can move fast! This isn't necessarily a con, depending on who you are, but it should be an expectation you have when joining the team.
    - The beer fridge. It's really terrible having a beer fridge here. Having a cold one ready for you at 5pm after a hectic day...I tell you, it's the worst.

Advice to Management

For now, to keep doing what you're doing. I can't speak for every single person at Orbit, but I know I'm happy. You're not making decisions that are making me pull my hair out...I've spent enough years going through that at my last place of employment...so thank you!

Minor note: sometimes our internal mini-projects get de-prioritized because we're so busy...and that's a good problem. We're just busy, so this is understandable, but some of our internal organizing needs completion.

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Lead Web Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Web Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbit Media Studios (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Challenging work with a lot of local Chicago companies.
    - Fun team environment.
    - Great collaboration.
    - People truly care about what they are making and results.
    - No big egos getting in the way of progress.
    - Creative freedom and leadership in my role.
    - Lots of social gatherings to hang with co-workers.
    - Respectful and encouraging management.
    - Excellent work life balance - coming from someone with kids!
    - Opportunities for training and conferences each year.
    - Growth is possible your role despite earlier reviews of it not being a long term solution. Its a small company, so teams are smaller, but you can still grow as an individual and take on new, exciting opportunities if you are willing to put forth the effort.

Cons

- You need to be a bit assertive, yet humble and confident to be a leader in this environment. No wimps allowed.
    - Some short deadlines, but doable.
    - Tedious time tracking, though it is helpful to the management of projects and future strategy.
    - Must be a good speaker and have the ability to discuss challenging topics with mid to large size groups (may be a con for some)

5. "Great Culture, Cool Work"

Former Employee - Creative Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Creative Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbit Media Studios full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, family focused, work life balance is a priority, work with well known Chicago brands, very transparent about company health and growth, smart people with a passion for digital work, your voice matters, overall just a great place to come in each day.

Cons

Can't think of any, had a great time working there, learned a lot about UX, Design and business strategies.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Good place to learn; not a long term solution"

I worked at Orbit Media Studios full-time

Pros

- Friendly, family-oriented group of people
    - Comfortable, quiet office
    - Good place to get your feet wet - the work is just challenging enough.
    - Usually have a paid holiday shutdown between Christmas and New Years.

Cons

- It was hard to sometimes figure out who was in charge. Made it very confusing.
    - People were helpful, but did not always have the ability to support if you were struggling due to their own workload.
    - Found after the fact that the pay is below industry average for the position/area.

Advice to Management

- Keep a good communication plan and a defined plan for employee support and reporting.

7. "Like family"

I worked at Orbit Media Studios full-time

Pros

Some of the most caring, compassionate, creative and wonderful people to work with!

Cons

It was hard to leave work at work, which was stressful.