Orbit Medical Reviews | Glassdoor

Brandon Bliss

"Territory Manager"

Current Employee - Territory Manager in South Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in South Chicago, IL

Pros

-You earn great money if you work hard (speaking as a sales rep). It's that simple.
    -Take a negative review written by a disgruntled driver/technician who can't spell or use proper grammar with a grain of salt.
    -Management is excellent. The "good" employees know this.
    -We are always one step ahead or real close behind the daily changes of insurance companies.
    -Additionally, we won all our bids, meaning we made it through the hardest times Medicare could throw at us. There are very few DME companies around with our reputation

Cons

You have to be incredibly thorough with each patient, from referral to delivery. However, that's the job. Frustrations lie in the world not revolving around you, but diligence with follow ups and relationship-building solve these problems for the most part.

Advice to Management

-Kicking the butts of the few people who go through the motions and/or don't understand the urgency of our top products (PWCs and Back Braces)
    -Same day preauth PWC submissions or pay for approvals.

"Not a Happy Place"

Former Employee - Patient Billing Specialist in Commerce Township, MI
    Former Employee - Patient Billing Specialist in Commerce Township, MI

I worked at Orbit Medical (More than a year)

Pros

Departments are well organized, supervisors generally do not micromanage, tasks are clearly delegated, teams are supportive of each other, well established company, great place to have a quiet desk job forever, recognition for success, always birthday cake, company social events once in a while, decent salaries

Cons

Upper management is aware of dishonesty from the sales team but won't let the truth be known for fear of compromising business. This is not a workplace where you are encouraged to speak up when you see something shady going on. You are likely to be fired for "stirring the pot." Collections department is a nightmare, as they usually are. Not very comprehensive or extensive benefit packages

Advice to Management

Taking pride in what you do and seeing your job as a means to help others would greatly boost morale. The biggest issue with the corporate office is insensitivity. Forbes' top rated companies every year are known for their professional, supportive, and encouraging relationships among employees. Learning from their example could greatly eliminate recurring issues such as high turnover rates, incomplete goals, workplace tension, and overall job dissatisfaction

3. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager/Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Project Manager/Business Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Orbit Medical (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the 9 years I was there. My old boss left in January... It just hasn't been the same since he left.

Cons

Dealing with the constant curve balls thrown at the DMV industry is exhausting.

5. "Overall, excellent experience and a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Orbit Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family oriented. Interact and build relationships with different patient's and medical facilities. You have control of your earnings potential.

Cons

Constant changes with insurance requirements and guidelines.

Advice to Management

Improve customer service. Need better communication among employees.

6. "Sales Represenative"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Orbit Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed office environment. Excellent office culture. You get what you put into this job. If you work hard, you make some good money.

Cons

Lots of companies are going out of business due to Medicare and all of their crazy rules and competitive bidding.

Advice to Management

Focus more on customer service.

7. "Territory Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Orbit Medical full-time

Pros

Good place to start your medical device career. Nice people that work there who mean well. Unique strategy. Potential to make more money (if you can afford to gamble your time). Nice company values.

Cons

Low base salary, continuous changes with government laws that will directly affect you regularly, high insurance rates with lousy benefit options (especially for families), it's a small company so your job could be terminated within a sneeze without a heads up. As you'll be in charge of all of your own paperwork so you getting paid on a sale can sometime depend solely on how fast a doctor will sign your paperwork (which can and will takes months sometimes). Takes 2 months for you to receive your commission payout from months ago. You should already know already that in this industry, you work sun up to sun down! Company value don't mean squat when your not bringing in the bacon (and, you should already know this about the industry lol).

Advice to Management

Please listen to your sales force and better adjust to market changes in the different markets (which in most markets, there are a lot of outside forces and politics involved).

8. "First step into medical sales"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbit Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The potential is there to make good money.

They give you the freedom to be creative while finding your leads and marketing your brand.

Cons

Poor training and sales support

They don't tell you that power wheel chairs have a very poor reputation in the medical community. A majority of doctors look at Power Wheelchair companies as "middle men" that are over charge Medicare and try to take advantage of senior citizens.

Healthcare reform saw that Power Wheelchair companies were getting paid too much to be middle men, so they cut the reimbursement for these companies. Because of this the compensation plan for sales reps changes frequently, usually unfavorably.

Advice to Management

Give your reps the tools they need to win.

"Great place to cut your teeth"

Current Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI

Pros

Compensation very high for those willing to work for it
    The experience can be used in so many other different job sectors
    New company to grow with
    Its a sales company so sales performance is recognized

Cons

Small company--not alot of name recognition
    HARD work--no excuses (not really a con; but if you arent willing to work hard for the high commissions then dont bother looking here)
    If you makes excuses for your lack of production--you might want to start looking for another job
    LOW base salary (but the higher than norm commish makes up for it)

Advice to Management

Invest more into the talent of your company

"Good Entry Level Sales Job"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

Pros

Your earnings are determined by your own work effort. It is a good entry level sales job for medical sales. Coworkers are extremely helpful and managers are always there to lend a helping hand.

Cons

Medicare's requirements for paperwork and working with difficult doctors. People have a bad stigma towards Powered Wheelchairs which can sometimes make it difficult to talk about with some offices

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Company is heading in a positive direction

11. "Definitely a Step up"

Current Employee - Territory Executive
    Current Employee - Territory Executive

I have been working at Orbit Medical full-time

Pros

In my current position the best thing is the flexibility. I have children and I've always been able to take be there for them. Whether they get sick and I have to take them to the doctor, or a babysitter cancels or is late, or they have a scholastic event. I've always been able to schedule my time around this. Also there is room to generate revenue on my own terms. I determine what happens in my territory with accountability, but I am compensated for my lead generation, not just a pat on the back. There are bonus's and incentives every month. I've seen the company reward top sellers or bonus hitters with everything from a GoPro to an X Box, to Apple store gift cards, and etc. They are highly incentive oriented and family structured.

Cons

It's not an easy job. The items we sell, this market has experienced some bad reputations, so it's a challenge to build that rapport and explain why our company is different. The clients we deal with many have negative personalities and you will get berated, yelled at for things that are outside of your control legitimately. There is a lot of damage control in my position, and sometimes there can be late nights, but it's not a everyday occurrence.

Advice to Management

As far a leadership there does appear to be a discrepancy in the treatment of different job titles, as far as expectations. I would try to find a way to create incentives for those job titles that don't necessarily generate money for the company, so they don't develop resentment towards their coworkers and the company as a whole. It's difficult concept to reward people for literally doing their job, but some other aspects of the job, "customer service, technicians, scheduling" they can feel left out when others are rewarded for going above and beyond.