Orbital Sciences Reviews in Dulles, VA | Glassdoor

Orbital Sciences Dulles Reviews

Dulles, VA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great cafeteria, beautiful location & surroundings, great people to work with (in 12 reviews)

• Lots of technical challenge and interesting work (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • This type of work environment fosters open collaboration between team members (in 7 reviews)

• As an engineer, you will not be provided with the time or schedule to get the job done right (in 4 reviews)

1. "Mechanical Designer"

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work was challenge and exciting many obstacles and needs for further research and development and research. More supervision was necessary

Cons

More instruction needed and responsibilities no supervision of guidance by appropriate supervisors allot of software issues and no help or guidance available

Advice to Management

Review all candidates

"Confirmation of Previous Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A place of very dedicated and intelligent people. Program Managers often (specially for small spacecrafts) mingle with their team of leads and engineers. (Please note: they are the real warriors there!).
    The environment, despite the RIFs terrorizing the Company, is friendly and progressive - even with the incompetent Upper Management.

Cons

What was written by the review entitled “Crushing schedules, demoralizing work environment, low raises, and little opportunity for advancement...” is VERY TRUE! No need to re-write what was so well expressed!
    As long as Orbital continues to let Tech Ops get away with its unrealistic and out-of-touch leadership, the Company will continue to loose its brilliancy that once characterized its achievements.

Advice to Management

Dissolve Tech Ops. Give its Management the taste of their own recommendations by "kindly" letting them go... Make the rest of the Company happy - Phoenix style!

3. "Summer Internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Dulles, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience in Orbital's internship program. I learned a lot, my manager was helpful and not overbearing at all, and I worked with a great team who were always willing to help me when I needed it. The company appreciates their interns and really makes an effort to provide a good experience for them.

Cons

I did not get a very broad experience during my internship because I was only working on one part of one project, but I think that is to be expected.

"Good place for a career"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Engineering in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Engineering in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I feel valued here, am given a great deal of latitude and trust, the company has a pretty strong benefits package, but perhaps most importantly the work is almost always challenging and cutting edge. I'm amazed at the projects I've been able to be involved in over my 10+ years here, and I expect more after the upcoming merger.

Cons

In many areas Orbital is still trying to find a balance between being a small company and competing with the big boys, while at the same time trying to adjust to new competition and cost challenges. This occasionally leads to unclear or conflicting direction from upper management.

5. "Overall a great company to work for in the Space Industry."

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and vacation package. Able to work into new and upper positions. Get to work on the entire system and not just one aspect of the design.

Cons

Program management varies from Program to Program and can change the entire nature of the Project. No sick days, need to use your vacation days.

6. "A midsized aerospace company"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Orbital has traditionally compensated it's employees well. Technology is pretty good and campus life seems active.

Cons

Management structure too heavy for this size company limiting its ability to maneuver. Moves too slow to be effective in the market space.

Advice to Management

Ask, what is the value add to all the management layers?

7. "Great company, interesting work"

Former Employee - Scientist in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Scientist in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Location, salary, benefits, interesting work.

Cons

Culture is tough, engineers tend to be narrow minded people, they need to think outside the box sometimes.

8. "Good"

Current Employee - Associate Financial Analyst in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Financial Analyst in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly relaxed atmosphere
    Good benefits
    Exciting work
    Mostly routine working hours (depending on the time of the year and your program)
    Good employees

Cons

Lots of middle management
    Could be leaner
    Can feel stuffy
    Engineer-oriented
    Little to none business training available

9. "Nice experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of your peers are talented, challenging work, good food in the Orbiteria and great medical/dental benefits.

Cons

Overkill on some processes which are redundant, time consuming, waste of resources and repetitive.

Advice to Management

Streamline your processes to avoid overlaps.

"Not the best experience you'll ever have, but ok."

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Dulles, VA

I worked at Orbital Sciences full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was a Principal Electrical Engineer in SSG for many years until recent layoffs (2013-14). As far as I can tell over 200 employees were RIFed company-wide.

Interesting work. A great experience to work with a company that manufactures communications satellites.

Most MEs at my level had more fun in the highbay and get to work with cool CAD tools. Most EEs have a more boring secondary function of managing subcontracts.

Flexible work hours and good benefits. Salary with overtime pay during some crunch periods.

It’s a pleasant environment with nice landscaping, cafeteria, workout room, attractive offices/cubes with windows.

Travel can be enjoyable to sites all over the world.

Cons

We were required to take lots self-training courses repeated over and over every year, some of which did not apply directly to what we were doing.

It can sometimes be hard to maintain healthy work/life balance, it just depends on the number of active contracts (feast or famine).

At times, middle management could be downright hostile to employees. I noticed this rubbing off between employees. At times there was some task offloading forced on one group, for example, the Mechanical group to the RF group in crunch periods.

Orbital can be a stressful and sometimes toxic work environment. Hour by hour work task prediction and task progress with efficiency scoring is required by all employees using a daily tracking program (WALT). If you’re not so good at predicting your own work load, which can include a lot of unpredictable tasks due to the nature of the work, and your honest about your hours on each task, you could be putting yourself in jeopardy of being axed from your job. I observed employees fudging the numbers in protest.

Don’t plan on doing much, if any, hands on work if you’re in the RF components group. There’s just no need for it. All build and test is done by the component subcontractors prior to shipment. Testing at spacecraft level is intentionally handled by others.

Most recognition/awards seem to be limited to upper management.

Contract wins are not guaranteed, lay-offs can happen. Orbital is now in the process of merging with ATK.

Engineers need actual training and professional development opportunities to maintain interest.

Slow salary growth and little potential for career development.

Advice to Management

Invest in the latest software technologies, training employees, and continue process improvement. Stay ahead of and contribute to the latest advances in payload flexibility as if your success depended on it. I think you know this already.