Orbitz Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

Orbitz Worldwide Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

2.0
Orbitz Worldwide Vice President and General Manager - Orbitz and CheapTickets Hari Nair
Hari Nair

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance and good culture (in 107 reviews)

• Very enjoyable work environment (top 50 on glassdoor in the past) (in 50 reviews)

Cons

"Great in the beginning, drastic changes post acquisition"

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OWW before the acquisition was a fantastic place to work in Chicago
    Fun, excellent work life balance, good work, intellectually smart co-workers and co-operative team members
    Post acquisition by Expedia, pros were new challenging opportunities, great perks,

Cons

Some issues prior to acquisition owing to information silos and lack of complete organization/consistency in the data and IT systems .. access to applications was limited and difficult to get

Lot of upheaval post the acquisition...increased politics, micro management and Orbitz office sort of degraded to "remote" office of Expedia in Chicago
    Certain director level execs and project managers extremely mean to work with ...did not have any accountability to senior leadership for the way they managed their teams....lot of micro management by team leaders who lack technical knowledge and business acumen...
    not at all a friendly work environment

Advice to Management

Make the middle managers and directors more accountable so that they don't get away with being unprofessional /less competent and get promoted despite creating a harsh work environment

"Great company to work for devops, not so much for DM!"

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work culture. Awesome environment for developers and technologists. Ideas are exchanged openly. Innovation is something appreciated by top management.

Cons

I ended up having a horrendous Boss who was a micro manager maniac. He'd ask your whereabouts if you're away from your desk for more than 30 minutes. He'd take your brain dump, and puts your idea down. He'd then go and present it to the top management claiming this is his great idea, so he could get credit for that. If you had done 99% of the time great job, he'd focus on the 1% in your annual review, when you did not out perform.

My immediate management had full control of the situation, and thus manipulated it. I took my concerns to my manager's Boss. It turned out that he is also a micro manager. Unfortunately this was my worst nightmare. When Expedia took over Orbitz, he jumped at the opportunity and eliminated my position. Thus ending my nightmare!

Reflecting back on last one year since I left Orbitz, this was the best time for me. My mental and physical health has improved. I got a chance to work with amazing people. They appreciate your work. I should probably go back to my old Boss and thank him for giving me the opportunity to explore new opportunities :)

Moral of the story: If you ever get into such a situation, do not waste even a minute. There're plenty of great opportunities out there for the right person.

Advice to Management

Please put some controls in-place, so there is accountability. So these micro-managers don't exploit the situation.

3. "Okay experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide (More than a year)

Pros

-Relaxed work environment
    -okay benefits

Cons

Management is unprofessional - gossips constantly

Advice to Management

Set a better example for employees. Be better leaders.

4. "Great for tech, not great for finance"

Former Employee - Treasury Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Treasury Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, good coworkers and internal opportunities

Cons

Focus is entirely on technology to the exclusion of company performance. There has been an ongoing exodus of finance people for years.

"Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good gaming facilities. Ping pong and other gaming tables. Free Pepsi , coffee and oatmeal breakfast. Free beer , wine and snakes on Thursday

Cons

One of the worst manager encountered . Keeps track of when people come and go . Managers are interested in micro managing people. Not a straight forward approach in dealing with issues

"Used to be a great place to work..."

I have been working at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great benefits (Travel reimbursement, $700 for gym memberships, etc.)
    -Travel is a fun industry

Cons

-Expedia acquisition of the company has dramatically changed the culture for the worse.
    -Company claims to care about developing women and then put a guy in charge who addresses women as "honey" and talks about how "pretty" various women are...he has been at Expedia for 15+ years so clearly Expedia finds this behavior acceptable
    -Most people are job searching
    -Chicago is now a "satellite" office which means there is limited career growth

Advice to Management

Instead of telling us how great Expedia is, actually show us in how you act, the people you put in charge, etc. I would expect high turn over in the business group given lack of leadership and treatment of women.

"Sad and Disappointed to read latest reviews!!"

Former Employee - Team Lead
    Former Employee - Team Lead

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

Pros

Used to be a great company to work for until the expedia acquisition.

Cons

It got bad right after the deal was announced and kept going down. From what I read here and from talking to ex colleagues still there, things have taken a turn for the worse. The incident reported in one of the reviews about a senior leader calling women "honey" and saying they are good to look just blew my mind. That would not happen in the old Orbitz and if it did happen it would never be tolerated no matter how senior the leader is. Shameful!

Advice to Management

Too late for that.

8. "Innovative organization, but not much room for growth."

Pros

innovative, think tank, open door policy, there are a lot of smart people working here. Culture is very laid back and comfortable.

Cons

Not much room for growth within IT. There are no employee development programs. Employees don't seem valued and there is a high turn over rate.

"First year was great, and then it just went downhill"

Former Employee - Former Manager-level Employee
    Former Employee - Former Manager-level Employee

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide full-time

Pros

My first year at Orbitz was great. Loved the environment, learned about the travel industry, and worked with wonderful people. Also, this is the time HR asks you to comment on glassdoor.com, when you are fresh and everything seems perfect. Very smart.

Cons

After my first year, I learned the truth about Orbitz. Not much potential for growth. Investment in training and learning does not exist. I asked many times about going to training seminars, but was turned down because of "budget" reasons. Upper management is absolutely horrible, no backbone at all. After I left the company, I realized how much I did not learn at Orbitz. I felt I had gone backwards instead of forwards in my industry. Also, after I left the company, I found out I was blocked from an internal opportunity by upper management. And I was lied to about the reason why I didn't get the job. Makes me sick. HR is clueless. My exist interview was a joke.

Advice to Management

Support the people who are on your team, and stand up for them. Do not think about only yourselves. Be honest. Do not take advantage of people. Provide growth potential.

Orbitz Worldwide Response

Jun 12, 2014 – Dir. of Talent Development

Sorry to hear you did not personally witness much potential for growth during your time at the company, but Orbitz is committed to promoting individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the... More

"Stagnant middle management, no room to move"

Former Employee - Technical Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Orbitz Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting industry and technology, global focus.

Cons

Limited avenues for career advancement; a forced "bell curve" for performance reviews makes it a popularity contest and not a real reflection of hard work and value contributed.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your ridiculous bell curve performance reviews and give the talent you have opportunities. I was easily able to get a position at the next level up, but had to leave the company to do so.