KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Orbitz Worldwide

Is this your company?

Orbitz Worldwide

Add a Review

Orbitz Worldwide Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Apr 15, 2017

Found 49 of over 565 reviews

4.1
Orbitz Worldwide Vice President and General Manager - Orbitz and CheapTickets Hari Nair
Hari Nair
Pros
  • "Good work life balance and good culture(in 107 reviews)

• "Very enjoyable work environment (top 50 on glassdoor in the past)(in 49 reviews)

• Cons
  • "work / life balance - sometimes not so great(in 19 reviews)

• "Senior management are only concerned with their own compensation(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Intern

Revenue Management Intern

Apr 15, 2017 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

My manager was awesome. Very enjoyable work environment (top 50 on glassdoor in the past). Fulfilling work and coworkers.

Cons

At the time there were no cons during my internship. However, I hear things have changed following the Expedia acquisition.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Amazing people! Great culture!

Oct 23, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Our people are the BEST… they are smart, hard working, collaborative, professional and supportive of one another. They employees form the great culture that is Orbitz. I also highly value the work-life balance, and appreciate the additional four days off we receive between Christmas and New Year. It is an invaluable perk! It is a challenging yet rewarding work environment - I really love my job and my coworkers!

Cons

For a technology company, we have an inordinate number of issues with internal reporting tools and systems. It often is a challenge to access the data and resources we need to get our jobs done effectively. There also is room for internal process improvement - particularly as it relates to working with other areas of the company. Additionally as others have mentioned, some (not all) in senior leadership positions view people as expendable, and they easily overlook the needs of their people in favor of cutting costs.

Orbitz Worldwide Response

Dir. of Talent Development

Thank you for calling attention to the company’s most important asset – our people. We take great pride in assembling a team that is “smart, hard working, collaborative, professional and supportive of one another,” just as you said. Furthermore, your point is well taken in regards to providing tools and resources that better enable our employees to effectively complete their tasks. We will continue to invest in technology that will allow our incredible team to truly excel and outperform.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee

Finally, a few reviews with the truth

Jun 21, 2012 -  in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good location, casual work environment, zero accountability means that you don't need to stress about actually meeting a deadline because it will definitely be pushed back.

Cons

The recent reviews "Promises, Promises" and “Lots of smart people but the leadership team is too detached to actually see the huge foundational problems around them” are both extremely accurate. It strikes me as very ironic that Orbitz recruits smart people and then thinks it can lie to them about how great things are within the company. Smart people can see when half their team leaves to take new jobs in a matter of a few months. They can see when two top level execs: the CFO (who was there less than 2 years) and President of Partner Services resign in the same week. They can see when Orbitz isn’t turning a profit quarter after quarter and year after year. And, they can see when bonuses are not paid out and raises are a pittance. I think that Orbitz bragging to employees about its AMAZING Glassdoor report card has actually prompted some employees and former employees to write accurate reviews about the way things really are. Attempting to pull the wool over employees’ eyes isn’t working—it’s making smart employees angry. And as a side note, the company does actively ask HR as well as the entire company to give it positive reviews on Glassdoor.

9 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Interesting technology and plenty of growth opportunity

Nov 9, 2013 - Director in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The open and collaborative working environment couldn't be better. Everyone looks to help each other succeed in their jobs and displays a positive attitude. Orbitz has a heavy focus on technology and attract top talent. When you work with so many talented people, you can't help but constantly learn from them. There is a constant drive to innovate everything from website/customer features to small process improvements.

Cons

With so much focus on innovation and new features some projects get done halfway. This leads to unneeded complexity and long standing technical debt. Solving some of these complex problems can be very rewarding, but frustrating.

5. 5.0

Orbitz - Out of This World

Feb 13, 2009 - Market Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Orbitz is such an innovator with so many firsts in the industry. The workforce is very flexible - we have to be - and there are many opportunities to 'make a difference.' For the most part, upper management is very open to ideas and initiatives from both employees and clients. Many features on the sites are the direct result of client feedback. The working environment is very modern and there are many amenities both in the office and the building. Transportation couldn't be easier; the Metra depot right downstairs. Non traditional schedules and telecommuting are accommodated wherever possible. HR practices are enlightened. The benefits offered are average.

Cons

The fast-moving environment makes internal communications difficult. There's some uniformity in the workforce (young/techie/urban) that's sometimes bothersome. There was a lot of unnecessary politicking in the recent election.

6. 4.0
      Current Intern, less than 1 year

Great MBA Internship

Aug 3, 2012 - MBA Intern in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

This was a great MBA internship: I had a high-visibility project that worked on the two main strategic focuses of the organization, I worked with a young and talented team, and I was given a lot of creative license and autonomy. Not to mention the company is fun overall--has great outings; good perks like free breakfast, coffee, and soft drinks; foosball & ping pong tables; and a casual work environment.

Cons

Sometimes you have to seek out your own challenges. It's easy to get too relaxed in such a casual environment. Secondly, the company hasn't been profitable for a few years, and so it is an "enter at your own risk" sort of experience. I believe that they will turn that around with the great things coming up in the pipeline, but it's something to be conscious of.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Orbitz is a technology focused, fast-paced company that employees talented people.

Sep 10, 2012 - Technology Recruiter in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you like a fast-paced work environment, this place is for you. There are 800+ employees at the Orbitz Worldwide headquarters in Chicago, and the office buzzes with energy during work hours. Orbitz is a technology company, so the company as a whole is very in-tune with the latest/greatest in IT, and is always on the leading-edge of new technical tools, techniques and trends. Orbitz seems to do a lot of promoting from within, so there's a lot of opportunity to grow and advance on both your team and in other departments in the company. Hard work is rewarded.

Cons

Don't have any cons just yet.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Smart people, casual work environment, mentally challenging/stimulating work

Feb 14, 2012 - Analyst in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Orbitz employees are generally smart, laid back and approachable, which makes this a great place to work -- you're always surrounded by and working with great people. The casual work environment and general start-up feel of the company/work (despite its huge size) is also a huge plus. Top-down communications explaining new initiatives and plans are frequent; under Barney Harford, company goals are crystal clear.

Cons

It's a known problem within Orbitz that it can sometimes be challenging to get things done due to the sheer size and complexity of the company and the various groups' roadmaps that compete for developers and resources. However, management has acknowledged this as a legitimate issue and is doing everything it can to get cross-departmental teams working together in order to break away from this widely-believed notion. Career development plans tend to be unclear; it's widely believed that career advancement at Orbitz requires proactive conversations with management that some (if not most) would deem awkward. Management/HR could do a better job of making sure these conversations (if desired) occur so that employees and their managers are on the same page and have similar expectations come review time.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Sr Orbitz manager - considerable career advancement opportunities

Nov 8, 2013 - Vice President in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to evolve a career - i have had many unique roles and worked on some very cool projects. Orbitz plays at the intersection of two great areas - travel and Internet. Great, talented colleagues. Great collaborative culture. The culture and work environment may be the most important attribute to me. Best mobile offering in travel.

Cons

Workload can be intense (at times); Operates in a very competitive sector so needs to be scrappy; need to be scrappy to get financial resources.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Orbitz is a friendly, laid back, treat everyone with respect, and inspirational place to work.

Dec 16, 2010 - Senior Information Architect in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The flexible work hours, casual work environment but professional and "let's make this company the best it can be" culture at Orbitz is amazing. I find it both personally and professionally rewarding to work for Orbitz. Personally because I have never had a better work-life balance in my life (coming from a consulting firm, to remain unnamed, where work weeks were typically 80+ hours on top of weekly travel, that may not be saying much - but now that I have a family it simply was a must for me to find a more flexible and less strenuous job). As a new mom I find Orbitz to be the perfect fit personally (with the flexibility to leave work early for a pediatrician appointment, or work from home some days, etc.) but also professionally rewarding as I am constantly challenged to stay on top of my game and keep up to date with the latest & greatest user experience techniques in our industry. Not to mention I love travel - most especially personal travel which I am finally doing more of than work travel now - so the job content is WAY more interesting than what I've done in the past (online information management systems mostly). I am ecstatic with my choice of employment and encourage others to consider Orbitz. It is truly a great place to work!

Cons

A somewhat unclear path on how to move to the top.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 49 Reviews