KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Orbitz Worldwide

Is this your company?

Orbitz Worldwide

Add a Review

Orbitz Worldwide Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jul 21, 2017

Found 124 of over 565 reviews

4.1
Orbitz Worldwide Vice President and General Manager - Orbitz and CheapTickets Hari Nair
Hari Nair
Pros
  • "Good work life balance and good culture(in 107 reviews)

• "Very enjoyable work environment (top 50 on glassdoor in the past)(in 49 reviews)

• Cons
  • "work / life balance - sometimes not so great(in 19 reviews)

• "Senior management are only concerned with their own compensation(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Best Place to work in Chicago

Jul 9, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work-life balance, competitive salaries, challenging work environment, international organization, lots of opportunities to move around within the company. The company always made strides to better itself, which made it a great place to work.

Cons

For a medium sized company there were more politics than I would have expected. There were occasions during my tenure that management was not in tune with the rest of the staff.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great people make the work challenging and enjoyable. The company is heading in the right direction.

Jun 24, 2010 -  in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The caliber of the team at Orbitz is the best reason to work here. I am constantly impressed by my colleagues and want to raise my game for them. The people care about the company and so they pull together to get work done, but they will also challenge each other to get things done the right way. There is plenty of interesting work to do, so it's important that everyone is on the same page. The office itself is a fun environment and most managers are flexible with employees. You can work the hours you want, from where you want, as long as you can get your job done. The company provides lots of little perks that make it a nice place to work.

Cons

There is a lot of work to do and it means that everyone has a lot on their plate. This can make the work/life balance difficult at times. It can also restrict creativity of the team. If there was a way to remove some of this pressure, it would give people more time to find creative solutions or raise new ideas to the leadership team.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Maybe, Maybe Not

Apr 11, 2013 - Former Manager-level Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Located in Oglvie train station. -Work from home options (depending on group & manager). -Monthly employee happy hours (for those that like to drink). -Certain members of Senior Leadership are very approachable and easy to work with. -There are some very talented and productive people working (and formerly) at Orbitz.

Cons

-Compensation is not that great, raises are OK. Bonus is pretty low and not competitive. -High turnover in many groups -Lots of changes due to lack of cash/money, and cutbacks/layoffs -Office is OK, kind of dated and dark; not enough conference room space -Certain Managers/Directors were promoted due to how long they worked at company, not based on people or management skills. Some are highly inappropriate and have long histories of this. -Not much available for career advancement outside of Technology. -Work/life balance is not great for high performers. Those with a good work/life balance are not high performers.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Amazing people! Great culture!

Oct 23, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Our people are the BEST… they are smart, hard working, collaborative, professional and supportive of one another. They employees form the great culture that is Orbitz. I also highly value the work-life balance, and appreciate the additional four days off we receive between Christmas and New Year. It is an invaluable perk! It is a challenging yet rewarding work environment - I really love my job and my coworkers!

Cons

For a technology company, we have an inordinate number of issues with internal reporting tools and systems. It often is a challenge to access the data and resources we need to get our jobs done effectively. There also is room for internal process improvement - particularly as it relates to working with other areas of the company. Additionally as others have mentioned, some (not all) in senior leadership positions view people as expendable, and they easily overlook the needs of their people in favor of cutting costs.

Orbitz Worldwide Response

Dir. of Talent Development

Thank you for calling attention to the company’s most important asset – our people. We take great pride in assembling a team that is “smart, hard working, collaborative, professional and supportive of one another,” just as you said. Furthermore, your point is well taken in regards to providing tools and resources that better enable our employees to effectively complete their tasks. We will continue to invest in technology that will allow our incredible team to truly excel and outperform.

5. 2.0

Great Potential Crippled by Poor Leadership

Jun 29, 2010 -  in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Depending upon your direct supervisor, the work/life balance can be very flexible and accomodating. Great location in the city, in the same building as one major train station and across the street from the other.

Cons

Since going public, management is crippled by obsession with stock price and Board of Directors - and making all decisions with complete tunnel vision. Many other important and necessary initiatives are either completely derailed or die a slow death of neglect by lack of management attention and support. Yet this obvious failure to meet the company's needs is either unnoticed or just ignored by those in highest levels of authority - the only ones in a position to make the necessary changes. Benefits, compensation and morale get worse with each passing year, yet leadership doesn't appear to care and would rather let the company lose some of its greatest talent than do anything address employee concerns. This just increases the employee frustration, causing others with talent and alternative career options to leave the company, and the rest to either give up or just coast as there is little to no accountability in job performance.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0

Great place to work for

Nov 2, 2011 - Software Engineer II in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great work life balance - Ability to work from home at anytime and from anywhere is a great plus. - Amazing group of people with a great attitude. - No one looking at you if you come late or leave early, everybody mind his business as long as you are doing your job and performing well. - Ping pong and fuzzball table are a great way to get a break. - Free coffee and fruits and soda. - Company wide and team activities and events outside of work. - This is a great place and I am blessed to be working there.

Cons

- The only issue if you let yourself stay in the same team for a long time you might get out of date on different technologies. - You always need to make sure to switch teams every couple of years so that you learn new things since teams tend to be a little static in their technologies. - Wish the bonus was a little bit higher.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great culture, great opportunity, great business

Dec 2, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Orbitz fully supports a healthy work-life balance, understanding that life happens and hours spent in a cube aren't the sole metric for gauging quality work. They support their employees by offering, and even encouraging, the pursuit of various career opportunities, even if it is in a different area of the company. Personal growth is also a focus with various groups for mentoring, for women, etc. There is an overall happy "vibe" and management is very accessible - great culture.

Cons

Salary isn't quite what of some major companies can offer. However, the company is continually growing, and the work-life balance takes a huge stress off compared to the lifestyle at some of those other compaies. Some adjustments still being made as far as company organization, but that is to be expected with a growing company.

2 people found this review helpful

Orbitz Worldwide Response

Dir. of Talent Development

Glad to know you appreciate the work/life balance at Orbitz and that you have found numerous opportunities for personal growth. Thank you also for the idea to conduct follow-up meetings shortly after a new employee has joined the team. While that is something that we currently do on an intermittent basis, we will formalize a process in 2015 and make it standard procedure within the first two weeks of onboarding. Thanks again for the helpful suggestion.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Fun, friendly and supportive place to work!

Nov 2, 2011 -  in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Orbtiz is a community! I have only been here a short time but feel like I have been here for years. Coming from the financial services and insurance industries, Orbitz is a refreshing change of pace. The mentality here is work hard, play hard. During the workday, things are busy and there is always more that can be done. However, Orbitz rewards its employees with outings, karaoke, contests...it's definitely a fun time! Additionally, they are very supportive of a work/life balance. I never feel stressed about taking a day off or working from home if I'm not feeling well. Taking normal time off is not "taboo" here unlike in other places I have worked. Overall I am looking forward to the opportunities ahead at Orbitz and love my job. It's a great place to work!

Cons

The salary for my job is slightly lower than comparable jobs with my former employers (which were larger corporations). However, I do feel the gap is somewhat offset by benefits including a company-wide week off between Christmas and New Years, solid paid time off and generous insurance benefits. Additionally, the jeans/casual dress code is a money saver for women, as only one wardrobe is necessary (no more separation of work/weekend clothes).

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Best place I found!

Oct 10, 2012 -  in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Challenges. OWW has scale, technology, and a challenging business sector. There is no time to get bored, it keeps me on my feel all the time. There is also and opportunity to work in a variety of areas within the company and you can move around and learn several different areas of the business. -Work Life Balance - very flexible place to work. Laid back, casual, and no boss breathing down your throat. Get your job done, and done well, and you will be well taken care of. Also great flexibility for those who have children and outside work commitments. -Leadership Team - very down to earth and incredibly smart. Very few offices, and the CTO sits out on the floor in a desk!

Cons

-Challenging business environment - hyper competitive industry which requires innovation and a view for the future. There is no holding still and we need to continually evolve and respond to competition.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A great culture with a fast-paced working environment.

Feb 2, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

A unique culture that allows for a laid-back, flat organization -- but at the same time appreciates & rewards hard-work, a positive attitude, and an ability to work at a fast pace. Also a very fair & respectful approach to work/life balance.

Cons

Very steep learning curve and little training to help along the way for new employees. The organization is also very lean, which makes for short-term challenges when someone changes roles or leaves the company. Also, depending on your role/area of the company, promotional growth could be minimal.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 124 Reviews