Orchard Supply Hardware Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Orchard Supply Hardware President Bob Tellier
Bob Tellier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great employee discount and access to discounted items first (in 12 reviews)

• Great people, there is a good sense of community at the stores (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low Pay, start from the very bottom and tend to stay there with promises of promotion (in 16 reviews)

• minimum wage job bad management and etc (in 11 reviews)

1. "Terrible Business"

Former Employee - Cashier/Nursery in Santa Maria, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Nursery in Santa Maria, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You may be lucky enough to work with a few cool people.

Cons

Everything else... Lousy pay, terrible morale, disgruntled employees, poor management, drastically shifting schedules, understaffed, rude supervisors & managers, being forced to do other peoples jobs, lousy raises, very little vacation time. All around terrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Get your selves together. Stop acting like you're better than everyone else and pay your employees a livable wage. You charge a high amount for all of your products but you can't give your employees a fair amout of PTO? You do nothing for the working man trying to support his family but expect everything from him. You're like the McDonalds of hardware stores. The people best suited to work for you are teenagers and people just trying to make enough money to survive while in college. This definitely is not a place to make a career out of and a large majority of your employees are unhappy and wish they worked somewhere else... So my advice? Get your act together and take care of your employees that bust their butts for you everyday in exchange for the bare minimum.

2. "Great a"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in La Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in La Mesa, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time

Pros

Great store to work, and great team to work with

Cons

Prices are to hi, and needs more and beter adbertising

Advice to Management

Listen to the customers

3. "They want more but give less"

Current Employee - Department Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Department Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love retail and have had a great time at orchard learning new things

Cons

They pay terrible, raises are 20 cents or so for a year!! They just cut our sick pay to 3 days per year and you have to earn those three by working 30 hours for 1 hour of sick pay!!!

Advice to Management

If you need to cut expenses, cut the guys at the top salaries for once. We barely make it on what you pay us. We are the backbone of the store, pay us what we are worth. We will be happier and more productive. Spend money on advertising, its money well spent. Have a coupon it brings people in, and increases sales. I never stand around and do nothing, show your appreciation in dollars. Have the managers put their phones and do something.

4. "Terrible Moral"

Former Employee - Live Nursery Specialist in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Live Nursery Specialist in Culver City, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their focus on being polite.

Cons

Worst marketing and management I've ever seen at one location 641 Culver City.

Advice to Management

Read employees resume and get to know the frontline.
    Place employees in areas where there strongest at.
    Learn to build a team, introduce yourself as new manager, look employees in their eyes. Listen to employees and don't make promises you can't keep!

5. "Communication Needs to Improve"

Former Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Goleta, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in Goleta, CA

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are the best part about working for OSH.

Cons

Most managers I have had are terrible at leading by example. They simply don't care. Safety training doesn't exist for the book-smart but common sense stupid. I see many problems that could arise down the road for these people. One of my managers was nearly illiterate (not sure who hired them). Final paycheck was received in the form of a visa rapid card. The negative side of this is that whenever this card is used there is a fee deducted from this card. There is even an even greater fee for not using the card each month. Why can I not have all my money in the form of a check? This would avoid the whole issue entirely and I am sure it is just as easy as some visa debit card.

Advice to Management

Find local managers that enjoy managing. They need to understand their job role for success for the whole organization. Also I have had managers that don't know how to deal with people appropriately. I feel they should all read the book "How to win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

6. "Not enough work hours"

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay on time and make sure you take a break and lunch.

Cons

Not enough work hours scheduled, and you never have a set hour when you work.

Advice to Management

Set up consistant work hours so you can retain employees and reduce turnover of staff.

"Demanding Environment little Reward"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1.)Growing company; incredibly powerful goals and mission about providing legendary customer centric service which will inevitably cause more growth as a company.
    2.) Customers can be nice and fun

Cons

1.) Leadership at the corporate office wants to grow the company with minimal resources and that is fine and dandy but you can't do that and also have happy employees.l at the store level. It is just too demanding for the store associates. Also happy associates means happy customers so I'm not sure what leadership is thinking about not providing more help on the floor.
    2.) Some stores to my knowledge including mine are under staffed and cause a lot of frustrations when it gets busy and even when it's not busy there is still being a lot asked of us to get done all day long which when there are small interruptions can cause even more frustrations when we are not meeting the expectations of leadership. Even more I look to leadership for support and encouragement and mostly what I get is crap about how we need more club Orchards. I get it. But there are more factors to getting or not getting enough club orchards than just asking the right way. No matter how you ask some people just don't want to sign up or some people already have them and just forgot they had one.

Advice to Management

Stop preasuring us for club Os it's just unnecessary stress on already demanding environment that is underpaid for the presure. Or if you are say GOOD job on what one has accomplished even if it is only 4 club Os in one day (which is a lot on average). That is what good leadership is all about.

The associates can have customer centric and baby sitting attitudes for customers as long as managment does the same for their associates. It doesn't just stop at the associates.

Bottom line:

Orchards leadership has some ambitious goals which I am all for but I don't believe it can be done with out the sacrifice of associates happyness because the expectation and hope for the level of service is just too physically and emotionally demanding. An associate ratio metric to customers would be a good thing to think about for optimal service.

Customers are our business and customer service is our marketing and brand but doesn't that mean the associates make the company what it is. And associates have been doing this customer centric thing before leadership just needed something to come up with that sounded good. Tbh it's just self explanatory and beating a dead horse with what associates have already been doing for years and that is treating customers with respect, kindness, and a customer centric attitude. It's nothing new and I would recommend cutting costs in other ways than at the associate level. Because associates are already somewhat unhappy.

Maybe give us a video of "keep doing what you are doing because it is working!" Or keep up the good work would be a good start.

Also I have a college degree and would very much like to grow and have been wanting to develop but it seems to be very hard in the environment that orchard is creating for their associates. It's not just me.

8. "Cashier - CSR"

Current Employee - Cashier-CSR in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Cashier-CSR in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoy the majority of customers. I’ve never worked with such a good group of people, as a whole. Look forward to going to work every day.

Cons

Management could be more in tune with employees

Advice to Management

Utilize employees strengths to their fullest.

"Great growth potential, but company has lost its identity"

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time

Pros

My customers were great, helping them made my day.

Cons

Politics, and they like to hire young, cheap managers. They don't value experience.

"What’s going on."

Former Employee - Front End Lead
    Former Employee - Front End Lead

I worked at Orchard Supply Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are highly educated.
    Customers are generally fun.
    Dogs allowed in store.
    Close to transit line.
    Transit benefits.
    Good Product Selection.

Cons

Management is inconsistent with directives.
    Store Manager rarely gives direct feedback.
    Punitive culture. Accomplishments are not celebrated. Not allowed to ask questions. Do as I say, not as I do.

Advice to Management

Embrace change. Embrace that you hired knowledgeable people who have done this job. Give Department Leads time to lead and plan.