Oregon Department of Human Services "good benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Oregon Department of Human Services Employee Reviews about "good benefits"

Updated May 15, 2019

Found 74 reviews

2.8
Oregon Department of Human Services CEO Fariborz Pakseresht
Fariborz Pakseresht
Pros
  • "Good pay , union job so good benefits(in 8 reviews)

• "Great benefits including medical, dental and vision, sick and vacation time(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "The union SEIU will protect you if you are a crappy worker but if you work hard and do the right thing you are on your own(in 3 reviews)

• "Lack of Integrity, Respect, and Professionalism (which supposedly are core values of DHS)(in 2 reviews)

Reviews about "good benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Caregiver"

Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Salem, OR

I have been working at Oregon Department of Human Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay , union job so good benefits. Work my own hours, satisfaction of helping someone.

Cons

I have A lot of responsibility . My client is disabled and requires a lot of help. I do mostly everything for my client. I am very busy all the time.

Advice to Management

I had to pass background check, including my fingerprints.

Oregon Department of Human Services2018-10-15
  2. "Pros and cons"

I have been working at Oregon Department of Human Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are good and there is the opportunity to help others.

Cons

Some of the politics can get in the way of serving the community the way they should be served. Sometimes workers can misuse their power and use a top-down approach which is very frustrating to work with when you're in the job to serve others.

Oregon Department of Human Services2018-05-28
  3. "Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I have been working at Oregon Department of Human Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fairly comparable pay and good benefits

Cons

There is an indescribable corruption among upper management and within HR. If you complain about harassment or discrimination, chances are you will find yourself being investigated; particularly if you're a woman. There are countless stories of conveniently timed investigations following a complaint of unlawful activity, and that person who complained finds themselves fired, or forced to quit. HR needs to be replaced...

Oregon Department of Human Services2018-04-28
  4. "Business overview"

Current Employee - Homecare Worker in Albany, OR

I have been working at Oregon Department of Human Services part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Benefits, hours of work

Cons

Having to bargain with the state for everything

Advice to Management

Give in, you know the money is there

Oregon Department of Human Services2017-06-27

"Glad I had medical because job made me sick"

I worked at Oregon Department of Human Services full-time

Pros

Good benefits, stable employment, FMLA and the like, sometimes you might actually help someone.

Cons

Jaded employee who hate their own clients, watching yourself get ft and your health decline while sitting in a tiny cubicle surrounded by miserable people.

Advice to Management

Stop playing fantasy football

Oregon Department of Human Services2015-11-05

"Oregon Department of Human Services"

Current Employee - Research Analyst

I have been working at Oregon Department of Human Services full-time

Pros

good benefits, pay is ok.

Cons

poor management, management not listen to staff ideas. co-workers become lazy and complain.

Advice to Management

start listening to employees

Oregon Department of Human Services2015-11-22

"The DHS is stifling, stressful and does not care about its employees."

Former Employee - HSS1/HSS3 in Portland, OR

I worked at Oregon Department of Human Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are good. Some of the other employees are friendly, though many don't hold up their end of the work. It feels good to help many of the clients who come through the doors, though some are crazy and even dangerous. There are positions within the state that are better than others--I was only an HSS1 and then an HSS3 and both those positions were difficult and felt relentless.

Cons

The management is completely top down--they don't respect the employees and treat them poorly. The computer systems are outdated and difficult. The culture is old-school--they pretend to be doing all this cutting edge updating, but basically, the job is a grind and wears people down.

Advice to Management

The only thing I can say is that people shouldn't work there as long as they do--including the managers. The stress gets to everyone and the whole place feels unhealthy. The State brings in people to discuss healthy work-life balance, staying fit, etc. but most of the employees are morbidly obese and many still smoke, drink diet sodas and sit at their desks all day. Really.

Oregon Department of Human Services2015-03-05

"Management incompetence and bad training"

I have been working at Oregon Department of Human Services

Pros

Descent salary, good benefits, great working hours, holidays and day off.

Cons

The evaluation of employee in trial services is no fair. An HSS3 they evaluate by accuracy, that means the HSS4, an other union coworker evaluate a supervise your job. Hello SEiU a union member can't supervise other Union Member. HSS4 is looking for management interests no for an Union Member. If you are HSS1 you will be evaluate by your capacity of be a great brown nose. You don't have preoccupation about accuracy...

Advice to Management

The problem with the government services are not the employees. Is management, they are not good leaders you have to take action about management like the NBA or NFL they don't fired the player, they change the coach when the team is loosing.

Oregon Department of Human Services2014-09-14