Oregon Department of Revenue Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Policy Analyst"

Pros

Great place to work. Great staff

Cons

I don't really have any. The work is learned and you're always motivated.

2. "A good gig for students"

Former Employee - Student Office Worker in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Student Office Worker in Salem, OR

I worked at Oregon Department of Revenue part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to be a student office worker is they work around your schedule. You can work about 15 hours doing data entry and basic office work which lets you put in your headphones and get things done.

Cons

As with any job at the State, politics plays a large role, and sometimes efficiency gets lost in procedures and paperwork

3. "Revenue Agent 1"

Current Employee - Revenue Agent I in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Revenue Agent I in Salem, OR

I have been working at Oregon Department of Revenue full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible if you need time off. You can send a request to your manager and it is usually approved. Friendly employees. Paid holidays, Vacation and sick leave plus 3 personal days off.

Cons

The pay isn't that great but you can apply to other departments.

5. "Public Affairs Specialist"

I have been working at Oregon Department of Revenue full-time

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and schedule. Lots of transparency and upward mobility. Great cafeteria.

Cons

Very un-social working environment with people who keep to themselves. Many people work from home much of the week so you don't really get to know your co-workers.

Advice to Management

More one-on-one time with employees for reviews and to address concerns.

6. "Average state position - lots of busy work with no real results"

I worked at Oregon Department of Revenue part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good although the state is rolling back on the cadillac benefits it once offered
    9-5 job with some flexibility
    A pro that could also is a con: there's lots of turnover so there are always open positions to apply for

Cons

Training was dismal for my position. I basically had to create my own training program. I felt that there was a lack of support from upper management. I was overloaded with work, and because I got it done quickly, it was assumed that I could handle more.

Advice to Management

Take a tip from private sector companies. Reimagine the core mission of the company and build positions around that.

"Great place for temporary work."

Current Employee - Intern in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Intern in Salem, OR

Pros

This place was very laid back and everyone I ever worked with or met was very kind. I loved that almost every other day people would bring in their home baked goods. There are many great benefits to working here including the fact that there are many cool places within walking distance. I wasn't there long enough to know more.

Cons

This place is the complete opposite of a private competitive organization. This place can be a bit too laid back depending on your demeanor. If you want a place to hide all day that has good pay and benefits then this is definitely the place for you. I must disclose that I wasn't there during tax season, so maybe I was just there during a down time. Parking for people in all of the capital buildings is very expensive. Many people are dropped off.

Advice to Management

Senior management comes up with good ideas but those ideas can easily go by the way side by the fact that so many things in most Departments of Revenue are dependent on politics and voting.

8. "Enjoy job"

Pros

Interesting work & usually ethical in dealing with taxpayers.

Cons

Union negotiates all job related pay & benefits.

Advice to Management

Get rid of bad managers.

9. "A goog place of learning"

Current Employee - Research Analyst
    Current Employee - Research Analyst

Pros

Before doing the job actually, I was expecting a typical government agency work environment in the DOR. But it was really opposite, very good working environment espeacially powered by IT. Seniors are really helpful to junior employees.

Cons

Sometimes, the scope of the work is not clearly outlined, therefore, an employee has to try to figure what should be done in the specific situation and what is the finest way the work should be done.

Advice to Management

I believe managment may attract good people by offering flexible time schedule, providing specific work scope and being more open to the feedback from employees.