Oregon State Police Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Gregg Hastings
1 Rating

"Admin Specialist"

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist II/Sex Offender Registration Technician in Dallas, OR

I have been working at Oregon State Police full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice building, great people, diverse work, interesting work

Cons

Managers don't listen to staff, staff needs are not always met,

Advice to Management

Listen to your people, they are the ones that make the agency run.

"Public Services Representative 3"

Former Employee - Public Service Representative III in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Public Service Representative III in Salem, OR

I worked at Oregon State Police (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and hopefully after trial service go to another dept or state agency

Cons

Management doesn't share any information with workers nor each other. No clear established communication. No training,support or clear expectations for new employees. Everyone is scared of losing their job which ranges from the lowest level employee to executive management with the exception of the director. It's a revolving door there that's why positions are always posted. Employees are expendable and management has no problem displaying it. The few managers that were good were treated just as poorly as non-management

Advice to Management

This unit needs a formal training program for all new employees. In addition, you need to create a position for Operation and Policy Analyst that can be referred to for technical questions. That person/s will need to collaborate with a created training dept. and create a reference manual

"My experience was informative, interesting, and good."

Former Employee - Office Specialist I in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Office Specialist I in Salem, OR

I worked at Oregon State Police full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your work is appreciated, no matter how big or small the job. Supervisors, and co-workers are more than always willing to help where needed. They are willing and ready to listen, give advice, and if you still don't understand something, they will change it, or put it differently so you can.

Cons

This was only a temporary position. When open jobs came available I was not allowed to apply due to being a temp. Even if I was fully capable or suggested and wanted me to.

Advice to Management

I didn't have any issues with management at all. All I would say is keep up the good work.

"Leadership rotates too much"

I have been working at Oregon State Police full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Command and Control organization, when the program is supported it is supported all the way. Law Enforcement can be very rewarding. If you can get support of senior administration, you'll push through changes easily. There are some really, really good people at OSP.

Cons

Too many Type A's. Everyone thinks they can do everything. Every time there's a leadership change there's a complete shake up however the agency needs consistency and institutional knowledge. Budget cuts are constant and there is always a looming threat day after day after day. Very, very little appreciation of anything non-sworn and agency puts little value in HR, IT etc. Everyone is always under investigation.

Advice to Management

Value non-sworn activities as much as sworn.....lot's of good competent people there who don't wear a badge.