Oregon Zoo Reviews | Glassdoor

Tony Vecchio

1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Admissions Associate
    Current Employee - Admissions Associate

I have been working at Oregon Zoo part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay, amazing co-workers

Cons

Very few hours, not a lot of advancement opportunities in Guest Services

2. "no"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Oregon Zoo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet lots of new people, have fun for the first couple months. See the animals on your break!

Cons

Management used to be good, now its not and all the older employees (the lower management and leads) dislike it more, and have wwaaaaayyy more responsibilites without the compensation. This company fired too many middle managers.

3. "Great Summer Job"

Pros

Great training program, happy faces from everyone, communication was great between over one hundred employees. All in all a great summer job for students.

Cons

Higher Ups were a bit hard to reach, never worked with the same person twice, hard to obtain any sort of reference letter or contact unless there often and with higher ups.

Advice to Management

No advice. This is the best training I've ever had when it comes to a part time job. Gave generous hours accommodating so many people.

5. "not impressed with my employment term"

Pros

- free access to zoo, and national parks around Oregon.
    -discount on food and other gear at gift shop.
    -kind coworkers.

Cons

-you're barely trained, which is difficult if you've never worked in food service.
    -sometimes when you're new you need a minute to learn the routine, managers don't care they just want you to help everyone without providing quality service.

Advice to Management

Train your employees better

6. "A Pleasure at First, Then You Get Disillusioned"

Former Employee - Custodian
    Former Employee - Custodian

I worked at Oregon Zoo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting to watch endangered animals, free admission and employee discounts, union access for some employees, participating in educational and conservation efforts.

Cons

Low pay, with very little appreciation for part-time or seasonal workers. Very stressful environment for the animals---many of them are chronically ill from treatable and preventable illnesses.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees' concerns (especially about safety), end the elephant breeding program, and prioritize well-being of guests and animals over aesthetic concerns. See if you can find a sponsor other than Wells Fargo for the Summer concerts, preferably a sponsor with values more consistent with the rest of Oregon's.

7. "Great!"

Current Employee - Retail/Cashier/Sales Part-time in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Retail/Cashier/Sales Part-time in Portland, OR

I have been working at Oregon Zoo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seeing the animals & happy people enjoying the zoo and the concerts that will be happening at the zoo as well, & my manager says we get to choose one concert we get to go to of our choice!

Cons

Not working with the animals since I work in retail which is a different company than The Zoo, and also not getting free passes to the zoo since my friends was hoping I could hook it up /:

Advice to Management

You're doing great

8. "Decent place to work"

Pros

Fun work environment, competitive pay for all positions, free admission year round, occasional inside access behind the scenes. Many great people to work with.

Cons

Constant micro management. No longer much teamwork between departments. Very little accountability for the people who don't work hard. HIGH TURNOVER RATE!

Advice to Management

Decipher who the good employees are and let them do their job. Get rid of employees who don't carry their weight.

9. "Lead Penguin Zookeeper"

Former Employee - Lead Penguin and Tour Keeper in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Lead Penguin and Tour Keeper in Portland, OR

I worked at Oregon Zoo (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to bring an animal in to the kitchen and see such huge smiling faces was something that I absolutely loved. I have an innate ability to speak with a crowd full of children, youth, and adults. But, having the ability to reach each age group in a completely different way. I always change my answers so that all of the group can understand what was asked and then answered.

Cons

Working just with certain or specific staff that truly don't like to have meetings to discuss what has been going on in each bird area and then put all of these thoughts and perspectives together to make work. It's hard because some staff don't like to meet, or talk about their work or discuss better ways of doing things. I'm one that likes to meet and discuss to hear different views.

Advice to Management

Be part of the team. Be at keepers meetings to know whats going on instead of relying on just paper work. It's good to get out of the office and come to where the action happens.

10. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aloha, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aloha, OR

I have been working at Oregon Zoo part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful to work with and it is a great atmosphere. I suggest anyone looking for a fun part time job to check them out.

Cons

Union has its goods and bads and some of the work is very menial. A lot of custodial type work along with dealing with rude customers.

11. "Great place to work"

I worked at Oregon Zoo part-time

Pros

Working at the Oregon Zoo gives you a real sense of purpose- you are there to directly or indirectly support the zoo's mission of providing engaging experiences and advancing the highest level of animal welfare, environmental literacy and conservation science

Cons

Hard to get a permanent, full-time position.