Orexigen Therapeutics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Orexigen Therapeutics President, CEO, and Director Michael A. Narachi
Michael A. Narachi

1. "Great company. The leadership team is top-notch. None of the politics and passive aggressiveness of Big Pharma."

Current Employee - Specialty Care Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Specialty Care Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Orexigen Therapeutics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product. Great leadership team. Focus on success and business. Little focus on arbitrary metrics. High level of bidirectional candor vertically and horizontally within company culture.

Cons

Large geographies. Not as many resources as Big Pharma but still do a great job communicating plans and timelines to salesforce.

Advice to Management

None. They are doing a great

2. "Tread Carefully"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Orexigen Therapeutics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent drug and solid staff; should be a great opportunity.

Cons

Toxic leadership and ancient top-down culture including blatant favoritism. An atypical environment for a southern CA company.

3. "Make it happen"

Pros

- great team - smart, highly professional and collaborative who want to make things happen

Cons

- a lot too do - need to prioritize and stick with plan

"Too many people with too many opinions"

Former Contractor - Receptionist/Administrator in La Jolla, CA
    Former Contractor - Receptionist/Administrator in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Orexigen Therapeutics as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

beautiful locations and facilities.

The people I did NOT work with directly were very nice and aimiable. They spoke to me frequently and were very warm.

Cons

On the FIRST day of my assignment, an Executive Assistant who had been with the company for years cornered me in the break room and gave me 137 reasons why the company was horrible and told me I should quit immediately. She gossiped about the other EA's that she worked with and gave me reasons why I would eventually not like them. (in her defense, she was right. lol)
     Three days later she followed up with a name of a friend who she wanted to introduce me to possibly a mentor, and prompted me to possibly get a job with her friend's compaany.

On day 5 this same employee was sending me job posting to my work email for other jobs. JUST WIERD!!

I supported 4 Executive Assistants and the HR Department. They all had their input on how I should do the job and all gossiped terribly about the poor girl who had the position before me. Told me she was so horrible and didn't do her job well and could not possibly understand why she would quit. SHOCKER!!!

They did things to make my job harder. Deleting work I completed, gave me pointless errands, made me run around the office getting things for them they could clearly get and do for themselves. Lots of power tripping.

The EA's are very cliquish and are act like adult "Mean Girls."

Advice to Management

Advise management that current and long term employees are warning temporary employees about how horrible the company is. This can be very off putting.

Communicate with your executive assistants that it is not okay to try to "bully" the new person or make them do ridiculous things that they can do themselves. Maybe if they treated people with respect, they would not just QUIT.

"Senior CRA"

Former Contractor - Senior Regional CRA/QQM Consultant in La Jolla, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Regional CRA/QQM Consultant in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Orexigen Therapeutics as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

At the time the compensation was $70 per hour which was the going rate at the time. I was able to reach my manager when I needed to.

Cons

Extremely disjointed group. Different groups that needed to interact i.e Clinical, Regulatory and CQM could never get it together. I worked on a project to review work that had already been monitored to insure QA. When your a contractor you can't really object to Work and Home life balance........however lets just say I worked till my fingers bled to keep up with the frantic pace in order to complete all my assigned IMV's. I was very happy to finish the contract

Advice to Management

Talk to the manager's at each of your departments ie Clinical, Regulatory, QA/QC who need to interact and get them to attend a scheduled joint meeting with the people out in the field.

"Excellent company to work. Typical start up risks but Management is top notch."

Pros

Entrepreneurial atmosphere is contagious and well received by all.

Cons

Travel schedule can ve very brutal for a virtual company.