Oriental Trading Company Reviews in Omaha, NE | Glassdoor

Omaha, NE

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sam S. Taylor

Pros
  • Most employees are great, fun to work with (in 4 reviews)

• Occasionally get to sample free toys and trinkets, flexible schedules (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • poor management, call center atmosphere (in 5 reviews)

• Low starting wages, small raises, strict attendance policy, upper management is not approachable (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent people, helpful and friendly managers. Overall a very pleasant experience"

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Great communication. The managers were extremely helpful and when I had a question they rushed to help me and provide me with all the info I needed.

The communication was great and everyone was very polite. I was positively surprised since I worked as an independent contractor and I felt like I was at home.

Actually, there is nothing negative to say. It was a pleasant and valuable experience.

Cons

There was nothing negative about my time working with Oriental Trading

2. "Clerk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Oriental Trading Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and immediate supervisors are helpful, kind, outgoing which make the atmosphere better than most office environments.

Cons

Most positions are warehouse will a handful of office or corporate positions.
    Wages are lower than industry standard.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible in waiving re-hire requirements to avoid losing qualified candidates.

3. "IT Professionals, look elsewhere"

Former Employee - IT Professional in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- 40% discount on entire catalog
    - As many free, cheap, off-season mostly broken or defective Chinese toys and party supplies as you can haul away
    - Free popcorn on Fridays... I suppose that's a pro unless you have access to a microwave and Orville Redenbacher.

Cons

- The hiring managers will lie to you about for what work you are being hired (happened to me).
    - The data center is a mess of cables, haphazardly placed cabinets, and undersized, unsupported hardware. (If I saw this during my interview, I would not have accepted the job.)
    - The entire IT department is poorly organized and badly mismanaged. This was a catalog company that just decided one day to get on the Internet and it shows. There is no rhyme or reason for how work is done. The change management process is chaos, there is no method (Agile or otherwise) for how their software is developed and implemented, there is a lot of technical debt and no emphasis on or even interest in changing that. In other words, stuff breaks all. The. Time.
    - Managers frequently argue (and I mean *argue*) with their subordinates about their opinions, knowledge and experience when you try to use it to improve the environment (do not think this is a "fixer upper" company by any means). This is as close to the legal definition of a hostile workplace as you can get without literally discriminating against a person's sex, race or whatnot. You *will not* be treated with respect here.
    - The employee discount is really a con because the stuff in the catalog/website sucks. Honestly. They gave me a $25 merchant credit and, after searching the whole place, all I got was Easter candy.
    - You will be brought in to the department and left to fend for yourself as far as learning the environment and the corporate policies on time keeping, sick time, expense reimbursement, etc. Even your role and responsibilities will a mystery. If you ask for help, you will be rebuked for not being able to figure it out yourself.
    - The company benefits are good, but not great. You won't get insurance for 60-90 days depending on when you start (you'll be paying COBRA rates to your previous employer). The 401k matching is low, you can't start contributing until after 6 months, and you won't be vested for four years after that.
    - I could add more, but this is no place for an experienced IT professional to go. I started thinking I had made a mistake a week after I started and, after just a few months, I'm sure of it now. I am currently looking for alternate employment.
    - Just one more thing. For a company that sells toys and has a vision of "To make the world more fun", the work environment is *extremely* uptight. That might just the entire IT department, but I've been in graveyards which were more lively.

Advice to Management

Corporate-level management, read the cons. Your dreams of competing with Amazon or even Party City and Dollar Tree, for that matter, are just that - dreams - until you clean house on the IT management and build a genuinely well functioning server and application infrastructure. You get most of your revenue from your website and it, and your warehouse, are supported by software held together with duct tape and chewing gum.

4. "From Print to Digital, Turning the Ship"

Former Contractor - Email Marketing Coordinator in Omaha, NE
    Former Contractor - Email Marketing Coordinator in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and relaxed culture were my favorite parts of the environment. I enjoyed the cross-department coordinated effort to build and execute toy catalogs then email campaigns. I found the transition from print to eCommerce a welcomed professional move.

Cons

The company needs a better internal mentor and promotion review process to keep talented employees and inspire new hires. Additionally, there is room for compensation and employee benefits compared to local competitors.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to keep looking for internal leaders to promote or put on special projects AND mentor them in the process. Yes, this is added effort; in my experience, it sets a company 'above' the bar related to competitors.

"A company who cares about it's employees"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Oriental Trading Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience with Oriental Trading Company has been the best from the interview process, onboarding and orientation. Since I have been with the company now over 6 months now, I have grown to love OTC even more. I was really ill and my husband was so impressed by how much my team and management cared about me and checked in with him constantly to check up on me. Our company has so many things to our employees and if you are looking for a career please go online and apply.

Cons

I have not have any issues.

Advice to Management

Go Team!!!!!

6. "Good"

Current Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Oriental Trading Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice and very friendly

Cons

The office looks a little old

7. "Growing Company.."

Former Employee - Statistical Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Statistical Analyst in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Very impressive work environment and colleagues are very encouraging
    Good Team work environment

Cons

No flexiblity for work from home
    Needs to focus on innovation

Advice to Management

Flexible vacation days

"Many lovely people, Some odd communication, a few eccentric details. All in all not a bad career segment."

Former Employee - Ecommerce in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Ecommerce in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In general, staff tend to be some of the nicest most down to earth real friendly people I've worked with in Omaha. Kind hearted and humble. Patient and not phony or preening. Team oriented. CEO Sam Taylor seems just as nice in person as he was on Undercover Boss. Really approachable. At least seems to be ethical and not just self motivated like a lot of other C levels in the news these days. I left still thinking he is actually a genuine person.

Cons

There is a certain unique style to how business is conducted. It may have stemmed from previous bankruptcy, not sure really. In any case, there is a lot of attention to each sales dollar in and each operating expense out. A LOT! Like be prepared to whip out your teams expense and return at any moment and sliced in a multitude of styles, up to what was happening 15 minutes ago, and compare it to the past five years. Be prepared to do that again and again and again. And again. The next day be ready to do it again. Try to be creative and think up the next sensation in the few spare seconds betw...uh oh time to pull the new sales numbers again and segment them.

It seemed like there were some relics of an unhappy past just stuck stuck, weighing down the overall boat like a ball and chain, sinking team morale among some really wonderful but fearful and stressed out, embittered people stewing on the team.

I saw a group of workers eager to advance the business holding their true opinions back from management, seemingly convinced that things were never really going to change, so why bother. There was a lot of frustration communicated behind management and not to them. These were nice coworkers who generally were allied with each other, but sadly in quiet fear of management, and resigned that the general processes used to conduct business would just never change, so why bother trying to rock the boat.

I saw several instances of people at all levels putting a management pleasing facade on, rushing to be people pleasers out of stress and total confusion, not realizing the after effects on the rest of the group of their over eagerness to be accommodating.

My department leadership needed more Spocks - rational analytical methodical calm deliberate procedural leaders. More Vulcans who didn't care about rushing to please but delighted in rational wise process for long term peace and prosperity.

I had a manager who wanted to change this world in a New York minute and crash bombed like a Kamikazi, then vanished. I spent the last six months after that there trying to reconcile the two worlds. I'm still not entirely sure what to think happened with that situation. There was a lot of crazy in all directions.

All that said, there's a lot of good in there waiting to emerge if they can somehow figure out how to keep the wheels turning but also get out of the reporting anxiety Culdesac, and get back on to the highway of progress. Join the others moving forward. Use the rest stops for reporting, then take that rig back out to the road. The world needs more fun, and it's your mission to bring it on, so start the bringing!

Advice to Management

Slow your request pace enough to be sure you are understood. Not everyone knows the history that drives your anxiety. Be teachers not just horse drivers. Consider your audience's intellectual and historical reference starting point, not just their current physical proximity to an Excel spreadsheet and their likely typing speed, paired with their likelihood to be able compile data before the next bell rings.

Encourage people not to be afraid to ask for information, background, rationale. You are teachers mentoring the future of your company.Share your wisdom, not just your Halloween costumes and the leftover candy ( even though that is fun). They are capable of learning.

Redecorate the basement and consider installing some Windows. Let there be light in the basement. If there's no money in the budget make a trade deal with HGTV or something. It's time to come out of the darkness. Everyone will be so much happier.

9. "Decent Job great excercise"

Former Employee - Stocker in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Stocker in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Training in the Beginning, Great for excercise

Cons

Changed constantly, be in shape before applying

10. "The job is not that great"

Former Employee - Personalization Operator in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Personalization Operator in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coworkers are awesome and the supervisors are okay. The pay is decent and the hours are nice. The benefits are okay and the bonuses are awesome if you make them.

Cons

You gotta break your back to make the bonus to not get fired. They move you around instead of helping you get the bonus.

Advice to Management

Help your employees. Stand up for them. Don't make the bonus their live or die. Don't be so write up happy!