Oriental Trading Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sam S. Taylor

Pros
  • Most employees are great, fun to work with (in 4 reviews)

• Fun product line, good hours, decent benefits, and enjoyable co-workers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • poor management, call center atmosphere (in 5 reviews)

• Low starting wages, small raises, strict attendance policy, upper management is not approachable (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent people, helpful and friendly managers. Overall a very pleasant experience"

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Great communication. The managers were extremely helpful and when I had a question they rushed to help me and provide me with all the info I needed.

The communication was great and everyone was very polite. I was positively surprised since I worked as an independent contractor and I felt like I was at home.

Actually, there is nothing negative to say. It was a pleasant and valuable experience.

Cons

There was nothing negative about my time working with Oriental Trading

2. "Clerk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Oriental Trading Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and immediate supervisors are helpful, kind, outgoing which make the atmosphere better than most office environments.

Cons

Most positions are warehouse will a handful of office or corporate positions.
    Wages are lower than industry standard.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible in waiving re-hire requirements to avoid losing qualified candidates.

3. "Great pay, but very demanding physically"

Former Employee - Order Picker in Lavista, NE
    Former Employee - Order Picker in Lavista, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You got an incentive bonus every payday based on your performance.

Cons

Long hours, mandatory overtime, little focus on how to improve your performance

Advice to Management

Teach warehouse employees how to perform "better" and make a better wage.

5. "A company who cares about it's employees"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Oriental Trading Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My experience with Oriental Trading Company has been the best from the interview process, onboarding and orientation. Since I have been with the company now over 6 months now, I have grown to love OTC even more. I was really ill and my husband was so impressed by how much my team and management cared about me and checked in with him constantly to check up on me. Our company has so many things to our employees and if you are looking for a career please go online and apply.

Cons

I have not have any issues.

Advice to Management

Go Team!!!!!

6. "Good"

Current Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Oriental Trading Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice and very friendly

Cons

The office looks a little old

"Okay, But Not Great"

Current Employee - Marketing in Ralston, NE
    Current Employee - Marketing in Ralston, NE

I have been working at Oriental Trading Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees are great, and they truly do care a lot about the company.

There are lots of food days and small rewards.

Employees are encouraged to “have fun”.

Cons

Pay is okay. Annual raises are at or below cost of living.

Annual bonuses are pathetic. They find creative ways to hold you back so that it is impossible to earn a decent bonus.

Benefits, vacation time, holidays are below industry comps.

Internal promotions are hard to come by. Company tends to hire from the outside more than promoting from within.

There is a definite “good old boy” network in place, especially in Ralston. If you’re not part of the internal circle (i.e. former Hayneedle employee) you will never get ahead.

There is a lot of turnover. OTC is a good “C-List” employer, but anytime someone finds a better opportunity (which isn’t hard to do), they jump ship.

Backfilling open positions takes a long time. This is because of budget restructuring, departmental shuffles, and finding someone willing to (or desperate enough to) accept the below-industry pay and benefits. There are frequently workers who will go a year or longer without a direct manager.

Technology is woefully out of date. Execs are against spending more on infrastructure and technology, but the websites are way out of date, many of the online features don’t work, and the back-end database breaks on a regular basis. At this point it’s like putting duct tape on a leaking dam.

Directors/VPs rarely leave their office, and almost never speak with their underlings. Employees are far below them.

The annual awards ceremony is primarily executives patting one another on the back. Rarely is any recognition given to those who actually do the work.

Advice to Management

Spend the money on a decent infrastructure. You “penny wise, pound foolish” method of patching 15-year-old technology isn’t working. You can’t get gold from a copper mine.

Talk with your employees – not just at them. Listen to what they know. You spend a lot of time guessing why sales are down – why not ask the people who live & breathe in that world every day?

Offer honest, achievable goals for raises and bonuses. Adjusting the numbers and/or fudging the results so that you can cut the percentages just leads to low morale.

Stop trying to imitate every competitor. Be yourself, be unique, and give your customers something original and fresh.

8. "Order filler"

Former Employee - Order Filler in La Vista, NE
    Former Employee - Order Filler in La Vista, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a good workout working here.

Cons

They have unrealistic productivity expectations and hardly anybody can reach them. Will put you into positions that will make you fail. First shift never does any work and will leave everything for 2nd shift.

Advice to Management

Get head out of your rear end. Start firing people in first shift they never do any work. Listen to your employees loyalty is a two way street.

9. "Growing Company.."

Former Employee - Statistical Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Statistical Analyst in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Very impressive work environment and colleagues are very encouraging
    Good Team work environment

Cons

No flexiblity for work from home
    Needs to focus on innovation

Advice to Management

Flexible vacation days

10. "Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, GA

I have been working at Oriental Trading Company (More than a year)

Pros

Many great activities that the employees do throughout the year. There is the Turkey dinner, Valas just for OTC employees, Halloween costume contest, Holiday shopping event and many others.

Cons

Projects are not fully thought out and planned for. Many things fall through the cracks. All parties are not engaged when projects are started.

"Many lovely people, Some odd communication, a few eccentric details. All in all not a bad career segment."

Former Employee - Ecommerce in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Ecommerce in Omaha, NE

I worked at Oriental Trading Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In general, staff tend to be some of the nicest most down to earth real friendly people I've worked with in Omaha. Kind hearted and humble. Patient and not phony or preening. Team oriented. CEO Sam Taylor seems just as nice in person as he was on Undercover Boss. Really approachable. At least seems to be ethical and not just self motivated like a lot of other C levels in the news these days. I left still thinking he is actually a genuine person.

Cons

There is a certain unique style to how business is conducted. It may have stemmed from previous bankruptcy, not sure really. In any case, there is a lot of attention to each sales dollar in and each operating expense out. A LOT! Like be prepared to whip out your teams expense and return at any moment and sliced in a multitude of styles, up to what was happening 15 minutes ago, and compare it to the past five years. Be prepared to do that again and again and again. And again. The next day be ready to do it again. Try to be creative and think up the next sensation in the few spare seconds betw...uh oh time to pull the new sales numbers again and segment them.

It seemed like there were some relics of an unhappy past just stuck stuck, weighing down the overall boat like a ball and chain, sinking team morale among some really wonderful but fearful and stressed out, embittered people stewing on the team.

I saw a group of workers eager to advance the business holding their true opinions back from management, seemingly convinced that things were never really going to change, so why bother. There was a lot of frustration communicated behind management and not to them. These were nice coworkers who generally were allied with each other, but sadly in quiet fear of management, and resigned that the general processes used to conduct business would just never change, so why bother trying to rock the boat.

I saw several instances of people at all levels putting a management pleasing facade on, rushing to be people pleasers out of stress and total confusion, not realizing the after effects on the rest of the group of their over eagerness to be accommodating.

My department leadership needed more Spocks - rational analytical methodical calm deliberate procedural leaders. More Vulcans who didn't care about rushing to please but delighted in rational wise process for long term peace and prosperity.

I had a manager who wanted to change this world in a New York minute and crash bombed like a Kamikazi, then vanished. I spent the last six months after that there trying to reconcile the two worlds. I'm still not entirely sure what to think happened with that situation. There was a lot of crazy in all directions.

All that said, there's a lot of good in there waiting to emerge if they can somehow figure out how to keep the wheels turning but also get out of the reporting anxiety Culdesac, and get back on to the highway of progress. Join the others moving forward. Use the rest stops for reporting, then take that rig back out to the road. The world needs more fun, and it's your mission to bring it on, so start the bringing!

Advice to Management

Slow your request pace enough to be sure you are understood. Not everyone knows the history that drives your anxiety. Be teachers not just horse drivers. Consider your audience's intellectual and historical reference starting point, not just their current physical proximity to an Excel spreadsheet and their likely typing speed, paired with their likelihood to be able compile data before the next bell rings.

Encourage people not to be afraid to ask for information, background, rationale. You are teachers mentoring the future of your company.Share your wisdom, not just your Halloween costumes and the leftover candy ( even though that is fun). They are capable of learning.

Redecorate the basement and consider installing some Windows. Let there be light in the basement. If there's no money in the budget make a trade deal with HGTV or something. It's time to come out of the darkness. Everyone will be so much happier.