Orion Group Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 3, 2019

3.3
Orion Group Holdings President and CEO Mark R. Stauffer
Mark R. Stauffer
  1. "Excellent Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I have been working at Orion Group Holdings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Orion is an excellent place to work with great compensation, top-notch benefits and wellness programs. The company is going in the right direction and the people I work with are absolutely fantastic. But the main reason I enjoy working at Orion is because of the positive work environment where people feel valued and appreciated.

Cons

I can't think of anything at this moment.

Orion Group Holdings2019-11-18
  2. "The latest reviews are fake..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Houston, TX

I worked at Orion Group Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked there for more than 3 years. Started out great, but in the end I realized the entire company did not share the same values as our department. We watched while other departments were destroyed by poor leadership and toxic management. When those managers were promoted to executives, the virus spread. Our management shielded us from the chaos as long as possible, but eventually, it spread. Over a... period of 3 months, the our entire department was terminated for some made up cause or left found a new job (50/50). Is there any possible reason this could happen other than bad management?

Cons

Does everyone have a long commute? Is that the best fake con you could come up with that sounds innocuous? Here's a real con: They'll find a reason to deny your unemployment before they decide to let you go because taking your job isn't enough, they have to take your dignity as well. I guess with all the turnover, they couldn't afford unemployment insurance rates if they didn't.

Advice to Management

Whats the point, they won't take it. The failure at this point is on the board of directors.

Orion Group Holdings2019-12-03
  3. "Onboarding"

Current Employee - Process Technology Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Orion Group Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive atmosphere. Upper management is very engaged. Onboarding process was very thorough.

Cons

The commute is rather long.

Advice to Management

Onboarding process was 5 stars

Orion Group Holdings2019-10-10
  4. "What a great decision!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Orion Group Holdings full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sound, competent, committed and caring leadership Collaborative and friendly workplace "People individually and collectively doing their best" is the shared expectation

Cons

My commute is long, but that's on me ... and I'm gonna fix it!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Orion Group Holdings2019-10-10

"Run Away."

Former Employee - Senior Management in Houston, TX

I worked at Orion Group Holdings full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For many years Orion was a great place to work, stable, good work life balance. 2018/2019 changed all of that.

Cons

In 2019 the company is in an extremely volatile state with very poor outlook.

Advice to Management

The current 2019 CFO has no clue how to manage a business at the level he is at, can only focus on what is sitting in front of him at any given moment, is allowing consultants (which he hired) to make terrible decisions - all while the CEO sits by and watches. In 2019 all but one of his senior management either chose to leave or was fired/laid-off (citing fabricated reasons), in some cases they went 2-3 levels deep... firing people . Employees in the corporate office are leaving in droves due to all of the uncertainty.

Orion Group Holdings2019-09-14
  6. "Good place to work with lots of career opportunities!"

Current Employee - Houston Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Orion Group Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very easy to find work-life balance with flexible schedules offered to employees. You are held accountable for what you contribute and produce . The pay is competitive and there is ample opportunities for growth and development.

Cons

While the company has made great strides in recent years in training, more standardization in this area would be good.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in people, culture and career opportunity.

Orion Group Holdings2019-07-02

"Operations good, Management Bad"

Current Employee - Peon

I have been working at Orion Group Holdings full-time

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

over paid upper management not concerned about operations

Advice to Management

Time for a change

Orion Group Holdings2019-06-26

"Stay Away!! Toxic environment especially for men"

Former Employee - Manangement in Houston, TX

I worked at Orion Group Holdings full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I can't speak for the field operations only for the corporate office. They pay decently and the benefits are not bad

Cons

A toxic environment following a full on purge of upper management by the new CFO. The HR department is virulently anti-male and has a spy network that puts the Chinese to shame. They befriend young female staffers and dig for any whiff of disloyalty to the CEO/CFO. It's a keep your head down and mouth shut environment where no one trusts their fellow worker who just may be a informant for HR. Do yourself a... favor (especially if you are male) and stay far away from Orion.

Advice to Management

Get rid of The CEO/CFO and clean out HR

Orion Group Holdings2019-06-27

"Change in top management is needed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Orion Group Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free soda and coffee in the office

Cons

Top management does not have the capabilities or qualifications to run a public company of this size. The CEO never leaves the corporate office to meet or communicate with operational locations. The new CFO lacks any qualifications of the role - does not understand his role or others he supervises. CEO, CFO and even General Counsel all lack any ethics or moral values. The company continues to face extreme... financial decline and the only explanation is "weather". Top management and the Board need to be replaced so the company can flourish. Exceptional employees are leaving in droves because top management is horrible.

Advice to Management

Top management and the board should be replaced so the company can actually have a chance to grow and be profitable again. I've never seen a company with so much potential be run into the ground so quickly. Nothing but losses since Mark Stauffer was appointed CEO in 2015. TAS was a highly profitable company, and only 3 years into Orion owning it and having Mr. Stauffer as its CEO, it has experienced more... financial losses than its entire 30 year history prior. Mr. Stauffer simply lacks the capabilities to run a company this size. He doesn't communicate with employees and is out of touch. He should step aside for the good of the company and let someone else run things. The Board has no diversity and has been the same Board since 2007 (except for 2 new members this year). New, fresh leadership should be appointed to allow the company to realize its potential.

Orion Group Holdings2019-05-29
  10. "Solid"

Current Employee - Captain

I have been working at Orion Group Holdings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very competitive pay. Competitive benefits. Family oriented

Cons

Too many people complain about a company providing a solid work environment.

Advice to Management

If I knew how to do it better, I'd have a position in management.

Orion Group Holdings2019-02-20