Orion Health Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Orion Health CEO Ian McCrae
Ian McCrae

Pros
  • They really look after you as an employee with work/life balance & benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Autonomy and ability to really make a difference and have an impact (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This is obviously a New Zealand centric company, far from "global (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management push a great sounding set of values but don't believe in doing it themselves (in 12 reviews)

1. "Sr Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Orion Health full-time

Pros

very good company,
    The best in HIE
    Promotes work life balance
    Promotes further education
    Able to work remote

Cons

Remote work, have to work harder to establish work relationships
    Lots of work - have to be up for the challenge
    Not a lot of hand holding
    Great expectations

Advice to Management

none

May 31, 2017 – VP People

Thanks for the comments and feedback. There is a lot to do, and lots of opportunities to get involved in a variety of activities here. But the rewards on offer are immense. Knowing you can really ... More

"Lots of opportunity, great people - hang on for the ride!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing, intelligent people. Great discussions and collaboration.
    Autonomy and ability to really make a difference and have an impact.
    Global company with different challenges in different regions.
    Visionary CEO. Approachable and readily makes time to talk.
    Leadership maturity (since I started)

Cons

Lots of growth and change.
    Create more avenues for feedback.

Advice to Management

Focus on the employee's experience when going through change.

Aug 25, 2016 – Head of People

We are very proud of the talented staff we have working for us at Orion Health and thank you for acknowledging this in your review. As you rightly point out, when you have a bunch of smart people ... More

"Schizophrenic Company"

Former Employee - Applications Engineer Level III in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer Level III in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Orion Health (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great snacks and beers/wines kept in the kitchens.
    Macbook Pro and iPhone issued to each employee (if you like Apple products).
    Trying really, really, hard to use awesome modern technology.

Cons

Macbook Pro and iPhone issued to each employee (if you hate Apple products).
    Company can't decide what direction it wants to go in (hence the title). Management is divided off into a tribal mentality, with each group going their own way and doing their own thing without regard for or communication with other departments. And that's the best of the worst. Fact is, most management doesn't know what direction to go in and so just stagnates...with things needing done and processes needing fixed. It is often left to the employees themselves to figure out resolutions to large business issues that management should be tackling. Most managers at Orion would be perfectly fine managing a Best Buy or something similar, but since they either have no technical background, or flat out refuse to learn about the Orion product platform, again, it's left to the employees to tackle technical issues across departments. So I guess in summary, at BEST management is INEPT/INCOMPETENT, and at WORST they are completely NEGLIGENT/DERELICT in their duties.

Training/onboarding for employees is a joke. When I was onboarded we did a week of basic intro into just about every aspect of the company, with only 1 day devoted to the product I was to be supporting. after that week I asked my manager for more training to be a better, more competent employee and was told numerous times there is no official training other than the online academy (which is a joke and seems more geared toward a grade school level of understanding). This leads to many support employees not having the technical skills to do their job and those that do have to work that much harder while others coast by without any repercussions.

Promises to clients are way overblown, with impossible to meet deadlines. This causes a lot of unneeded stress and frustration across the board which results in finger pointing and blaming other teams for work not getting done on time. The fact is, the time frame for the projects is too short to be completed satisfactorily and was set up for failure from the beginning. Due to the poor culture at the company, this is never addressed, blame is just assigned to which team was left holding the bag in an unending game of "hot potato". This style created a lot a animosity between teams that should have been working together.

Orion is very concerned about their Glassdoor image and actively ask employees to write glowing reviews of the company. Several prospective clients have turned down contracts due to poor reviews. The problems with this company are systemic and deeply cultural, if you're reading this please take with a grain of salt all of the positive reviews of this company.

Advice to Management

Own the issues with poor management and fix them. Get a proper training program instituted so your employees are empowered to support your product and keep the clients happy. A rigorous training program will also weed out and employee not up to the challenge of supporting the software and give you an early opportunity to end the relationship with them early, instead of having them drag down entire teams with their ineptitude.

Sep 1, 2016 – Head of People

We originally posted a short response to this review, but on reflection we thought it would be more helpful to provide a more detailed response addressing some of the points raised in this review ... More

"Hi firing rate!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Orion Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One star for benefits (100% covered medical insurance, paid parking in city, etc)
    Second star for providing cool work tools (OH is an Apple shop)

Cons

1. Definitely the NZ influence -- they are the boss.
    2. High churn rate, even before an employee thinks to look elsewhere he/she is more likely to be fired for no reason. Ask US Leadership or search for ex Orion Employees --I would say 90% were involuntarily terminated.The includes VPs, CISO, Directors, Infosec Managers/Leaders, Lawyers, Project Managers, you name it.
    3. Blatant mis-handling of sensitive customer data (Can OCR please audit OH)

Advice to Management

Stop playing with people's lives.

"The negative reviews are largely true"

Former Employee - Services Group in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Services Group in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

OK Benfits, as long as you don't plan on using your time off.

Rhapsody is a great product and fun to work with/on.

The office space was very nice (Santa Monica)

Cons

The entire company is run by one man - the CEO. Everything from entry-level Hiring Decisions across the globe to development plans and feature sets is personally reviewed by him.

Seemingly incompetent senior leadership is out of touch with the day to day lives of frontline employees, and any attempt to elucidate them as to the conditions on the front lines is met with willfull ignorance and avoidance. You can see examples of this in the replies to some reviews on this site.

Employee concerns are constantly invalidated and picked apart, even when supplied with supporting data.

The company has no drive to deliver better services. This ties back to the CEOs approach that Orion is a 'product company'. They are a product company, but they are a product company that has sold millions of dollars in services and has no service organization infrastructure to implement the product in accordance with their contracts. Frequently, work is not filtered down to the service organization until after the promised delivery date. Services is left holding the bag and there is no effort to rein in the sales team or to create a working symbiosis between the two in order to deliver world-class services.

Advice to Management

To the board: It's time for Ian's role to be pruned. He's built a profitable company, but it takes a team of superstars to take it to the next level. Trim his power and find executives loyal to the board who can execute strategies that make sense.

Aug 3, 2016 – Corporate Marketing Manager

We take customer projects and our staff work environment very seriously and we are disappointed that this former employee has experienced otherwise. For example, we have just completed a global ... More

"Run, Run Far Away..."

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Orion Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good Benefits (paid healthcare)
    - Incredible environment(s) to learn and grow in. (Development, Engineering, Support)
    - If you interview well, or if you are considered a favorite the compensation is very good.

Cons

- Really bad culture going on in NA. (Favoritism, Overloaded working conditions, lay offs)
    - Extremely poor management in NA and NZ regions.
    - NZ runs the show. (This really hurts, and isn't obvious at first)
    - No career paths
    - The recent lay offs have really hurt. Lots of people leaving on their own accord now.

Advice to Management

Not sure what you can do to save the burning ship.

Jul 18, 2016 – Corporate Marketing Manager

Orion Health has 24 offices globally and we work hard to create an innovative, exciting culture throughout. This review is correct in saying that our US operation has had cultural and other issues in ... More

"From Great to Awful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Not sure, everything that was a pro no longer exists.

Cons

Went from collaborative, team friendly environment with management who backed the work force to Type A micro-managers who would not even trust the managers they hired. It happens when a company goes public. Bleeding money in North America and it's the staffers who get blamed for it.

Senior management push a great sounding set of values but don't believe in doing it themselves.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots.

"Potential, Lots to do, poor direction and decisions."

Former Employee - Network Engineer III in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer III in Boston, MA

I worked at Orion Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work on a lot of technology, both newer stuff and established standards. Most of my direct coworkers were a joy to work with while I was there.

Pay is good Benefits also good. Room for advancement. Respected my personal life boundaries.

Cons

I was working on what was the largest project the company had for the year and right when it started a key member of the team took a 3 week vacation (Holiday), meanwhile there was massive issues discovered. Major deliverable were not even close to being solved, yet the only person who had the authority to direct the change, and redesign was away for 3 weeks. I and other members of my team, didnt even know about the project until the 1st phase was already 3 days over due when I started working on it.

New Zealand arrogance. This is where all of the decisions are made and direction is set in the organization. With compliance, security, and daily manageability of systems coming second to seemingly arbitrary choices made by NZ management. Even costs are ignored, and as a result, there was recently a fairly sizable US employee layoff. (I am fairly certain some very poor design and implementation strategies were significant cost factors that lead to this)

Due to some of these decisions for 3-4 months i was putting in anywhere from 55-70hour work weeks.

To get a good feel of it read the comments on the article about the recent US layoffs. (since i cant post the link directly) Google search "orion health stuff nz wields knife" First link should take you where you need to go.

One Comments reads as follows...
    "There needs to be greater cuts to US workforce to give Kiwis jobs. In general Kiwis are much more skilled than their American counterparts - year for year, and profession for profession although Kiwi firms are too easily fooled by their over-hyped CVs and fancy titles given in the US for a lower level job by NZ standards."

Advice to Management

Respect those hired to do the Job. If you hired someone for the experience and expertise, trust it. Constantly doing Re-orgs to the US Operations Group because you go through management like some people change their underwear, is not good. Most of this happens because you hire people that want to affect change in a positive way. But if they clash with NZ Management they get fired.

"Improving Organization with Loads of Potential"

I have been working at Orion Health full-time

Pros

Managers that really care for the people. Ambitious and motivating vision.

Cons

Growth and change has been challenging

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the people and the customers.

"manager"

I worked at Orion Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, provides MAC and Iphone

Cons

Lack of team communication, leadership and structure.