Orion Health Reviews in Santa Monica, CA | Glassdoor

1.4
Orion Health CEO Ian McCrae
Ian McCrae

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance - work from home when you need, flexible travel (in 10 reviews)

• First time in an organization I've worked for where I feel I can really make a difference, and where fresh thinking is welcomed (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • This is obviously a New Zealand centric company, far from "global (in 18 reviews)

• Senior management push a great sounding set of values but don't believe in doing it themselves (in 14 reviews)

1. "Challenging, Rewarding and Fun!"

Current Contractor - Consultant in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Contractor - Consultant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Orion Health as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The biggest Pro for me while at Orion has been my enjoyment in the task.

I have been working on very difficult projects while at Orion Health but I can say that I have had enjoyment in all my tasks. This enjoyment comes from the positive outlook I received from internal colleagues and a clear understanding of Orion Health's vision. I have received insights into Orion's vision by an approachable and consultative Executive Leadership team. No where else in my career have I been able to have such a clear understanding on how my day to day work is affecting positively the growth of an organization in line with Executive Leadership's vision.

I have also enjoyed working within Orion Health Global environment. Executive leadership is willing to bridge the gap of geography to create personal relationships which has been very motivational for me.

Cons

Being a Global company in the dynamic changing health-care industry please consider that you will need to roll your selves up to be successful at Orion Health. Many positions demand employees to wear multiple hats. I have found this rewarding as I get exposure to different departments.

Advice to Management

Please come up with a business reason to fly me to New Zealand .... I would love to see the Head Quarters!

"The negative reviews are largely true"

Former Employee - Services Group in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Services Group in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

OK Benfits, as long as you don't plan on using your time off.

Rhapsody is a great product and fun to work with/on.

The office space was very nice (Santa Monica)

Cons

The entire company is run by one man - the CEO. Everything from entry-level Hiring Decisions across the globe to development plans and feature sets is personally reviewed by him.

Seemingly incompetent senior leadership is out of touch with the day to day lives of frontline employees, and any attempt to elucidate them as to the conditions on the front lines is met with willfull ignorance and avoidance. You can see examples of this in the replies to some reviews on this site.

Employee concerns are constantly invalidated and picked apart, even when supplied with supporting data.

The company has no drive to deliver better services. This ties back to the CEOs approach that Orion is a 'product company'. They are a product company, but they are a product company that has sold millions of dollars in services and has no service organization infrastructure to implement the product in accordance with their contracts. Frequently, work is not filtered down to the service organization until after the promised delivery date. Services is left holding the bag and there is no effort to rein in the sales team or to create a working symbiosis between the two in order to deliver world-class services.

Advice to Management

To the board: It's time for Ian's role to be pruned. He's built a profitable company, but it takes a team of superstars to take it to the next level. Trim his power and find executives loyal to the board who can execute strategies that make sense.

Orion Health Response

Aug 3, 2016 – Corporate Marketing Manager

We take customer projects and our staff work environment very seriously and we are disappointed that this former employee has experienced otherwise. For example, we have just completed a global... More

"They are overwhelmed and scrambling..."

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are is such dis array that there is no real accountability. it is hard to be fingered for a major lapse, so you will not likely be let go for cause.

Cons

If you are really good, you are not recognized for it because they have no systems to identify who is performing and who is not.

Advice to Management

Make up you mind!!! You guys keep going out and getting contracts for things because the "customer wanted it". It might be nice to actually have some products that you can sell based on the actual product performance? Get out of the vaporware business!

"Like Family"

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, opportunities for growth and to marry creative with intellectual. Challenges abound for those willing to take the bull by the horns

Cons

Growing pains of a company expanding very quickly. Trying to keep the quality found within a close-knit group of smart people and replicate that with rapid growth creates communication hurdles that cause trickle down effects. But with all issues you can either complain about it or do something to try and fix it. (See Pro about challenges!)

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff.... sometimes the 'in the trenches' feedback should be paramount in deciding how to approach issues.

"Has poor leadership, and is simply overwhelmed with all the contracts they have won."

Former Employee - Executive in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Executive in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Orion Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits (100% paid health care premiums).

Cons

Top leadership has constant turnover, and it is a sales driven leadership. All they care about is revenues, and do not care much for their employees. This is a New Zealand company that is focused on promoting New Zealanders and New Zealand culture.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people that you have, and invest in systems and tools that are actual enterprise level tools rather than using tools like Woki and SugarCRM. This company has no forward thinking management, and has cowboy executives.

"Great Company But too Busy and Understaffed"

Current Employee - Team Lead Applications Support Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Orion Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Product to Use and Great Company

Cons

Not enough employees - lot and lots of hours - no overtime pay

"People don't like to do hard work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

See another world's culture at work.

Cons

There is no quality control in this place of work and everyone expects a hack to fix problems. People who realize this avoid this kind of work like the plague and shove it onto someone else who doesn't know that poorly built products are being released regularly. One of the most political workplaces with backstabbing everywhere. Does not pay a salary/benefits representative of the market.

Advice to Management

Hire some technical people who know what they are doing and control the workplace deviance. Reward those who are efficient and competent. Take them out of the grind of working with other employess who are jealous of their abilities.

"Low ball pay"

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Casual work environment and the view of the office from office.
    Nice co-workers and you do not have to wear buisness clothes.

Cons

very bad Pay package and lots of politics.
    the career growth is also very restricted.

Advice to Management

pay ur employees please