Orion Telescopes and Binoculars Reviews | Glassdoor

Orion Telescopes and Binoculars Reviews

Updated Jun 9, 2018

1.9
Orion Telescopes and Binoculars CEO Peter Moreo (no image)
Peter Moreo
  1. "Work Experience"

I have been working at Orion Telescopes and Binoculars part-time

Pros

Great environment, positive feedback, patient training

Cons

Disorganized at times with information available.

Orion Telescopes and Binoculars2017-03-28

"Accounting Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Orion Telescopes and Binoculars full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only good thing about this company were the people I worked with whom are no longer with the company because upper management creates an unbearable toxic work environment

Cons

I have never been treated in any job the way I was from my boss the CEO. I was often berated and humiliated in front of other employees in meetings. The entire management team is self serving with no empathy for any of the employees

Advice to Management

Nothing to say that would help they don't care about the employees

Orion Telescopes and Binoculars2018-06-09

"If I could give them minus five stars-it would be justified"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at Orion Telescopes and Binoculars part-time for less than a year

Pros

None come to mind at this time

Cons

They treat their associates like children, for example if a person needs to go to the bathroom they have to ask for permission. The pay is abysmal relative to the amount of knowledge that's required. Notable is their dependence on a 40 year old database which as you'd might imagine is horrible. Your skill set will be held back using this stuff which will become an obvious problem when you attempt to advance your... career. They're operating on nickels and dimes.

Advice to Management

This is a sunset enterprise that has seen better days & has been phenomenally unsuccessful in growing its business. Most of the associates know little about the subject other than what nuts and bolts go to which telescope at best-most are temps pulled in off the streets. Management are willfully ignorant and running the company into the ground .

Orion Telescopes and Binoculars2017-09-19

"Don't do it unless you have no other alternatives"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Watsonville, CA

I worked at Orion Telescopes and Binoculars part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you like astronomy, you'll get a cool discount on hardware

Cons

Butt low pay, you'll make more at In-n-Out Burger. CEO is clueless & has zero interest in the hobby or products.

Advice to Management

Revamp your headquarters, provide better pay, get outside funding.

Orion Telescopes and Binoculars2017-04-10

"Orion is a dead end company to work for"

Customer Service Representative in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at Orion Telescopes and Binoculars

Pros

If you enjoy astronomy there is associate pricing on Orion branded products. My coworkers are some of the nicest people to be around.

Cons

1. Absurdly LOW PAY. $11/hr. in the Santa Cruz area-which is an expensive place to live-guarantees you'll be still living with your parents, grandparents, or shacking up somewhere else. 2. After 1 year of very productive work. I received a .28 cent raise per hour. 3. Inconsistent work hours each week. 4. Unable to work more than 25 hours per week, lest they provide some form of benefits. 5. No dedicated work... area or desk. It's a free for all, & the beginning of each work shift is a hunt to find missing items from desks, proper chairs, and so forth. 6. Overall, one of the dirtiest places I've worked at, e.g.-from absolutely filthy carpets, dirty walls, to a bathroom that can sometimes be disgusting. There is ample evidence they have not spent any money inside a very old building for a long time. 7. Management pretends to take an interest in subordinates opinions & feedback. It's an act. They really do not care. 6. Extremely high employee turnover. We used to have a door code change almost every week. They've now transitioned to every employee having their own unique door code which allows us to not have to memorize a new door code each and every week. 7. Our managers spend weeks, usually about 1.5 months training new associates about procedures/technical training re. telescopes, etc. After two months people leave, which seems like an incredible waste of company time which could all of been prevented had they initially offered people a more realistic wage. It's an endless cycle and they're constantly trying to get warm bodies in here to fill these seats, which leads to the next problem... 8. Not enough coworkers to cover inbound emails, inbound phone calls, plus web chats with five or more people at the same time. It can get crazy. 9. Break-room amenities such as coffee, water, tea, cups, plates, Friday doughnuts are calculated into our overall compensation. I don't drink coffee, nor do I eat doughnuts, and could stop using other resources in there for an extra dollar ot two per hour easily.

Advice to Management

This is a company where there's a very small handful of people that have been around for decades which is almost unbelievable or impossible, or everyone else is new & scrambling to find work elsewhere. The CEO is a socially awkward fellow that seems to understand spreadsheets & the nickle & dime owners but not much else. He does not mix with nor does he have a desire to understand his employees. He also seems to... know absolutely nothing about astronomy nor the market for these products at all. Orion does itself and its employees a great disservice by hiring a third party to assess the salaries of its employees by averaging the wages of someone working in a very expensive area such as Monterey-where I happen to live, with someone in say for example, e.g.-Tulsa, Oklahoma, or Fargo, North Dakota, where the cost of living is 1/3 what it costs in Monterey, California. If Orion dumped this process, they could keep excellent people around a bit longer & spend their resources on other things rather than constantly having to train new people every single month. The owner's might think they're saving money but the constant employee turmoil is costing them money and efficiency. Orion needs to treat their employees with more respect. Case in point, we get pestered every week to get more cross sells on each phone order that we process. We get "rewarded" $1.25 regardless if it's a $9 lens cleaning cloth, or a $250 pair of binoculars added to the order. Only Orion branded products, on a very narrow list qualify us for commission. Orion needs a commission structure that actually makes some sense. The current practice offends most people and I feel sorry for our managers when they have to look us in the face explaining this to us. $1.25 doesn't buy anything in 2015. The owner's want more cross sells, but they don't want to pay people for it, which is why no one really takes it too seriously.

Orion Telescopes and Binoculars2015-09-25

"Not Recommended"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watsonville, CA

I worked at Orion Telescopes and Binoculars full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Orion has many good people that I enjoyed working with. Commuting from Santa Cruz was much nicer than when I worked in San Jose.

Cons

It's all about the bottom line. When I first joined it was privately owned and the priorities were on quality products and customer service. The current owners only want to see a profit on their investment. This means that the overall mix of products is larded with cheap money-makers, and employee workload is constantly being increased without comparable increase in benefits. Now the hierarchy is investor return at... the top followed at a distance by customer satisfaction and employee consideration way down at the bottom. At the end of my stint I felt completely unappreciated. I feel sorry for the people still working there.

Advice to Management

There is nothing to be done until ownership changes. The CEO is completely in agreement with them and that means that middle management can only carry out the profit-at-all-cost directive. Rearrange the deck chairs on this boat any way you choose -- it won't change anything.

Orion Telescopes and Binoculars2015-06-23

"Aggressively Self-Examining and Improving"

I worked at Orion Telescopes and Binoculars

Pros

Management culture of challenging the status-quo. Continually pursuing to maximize financial profits and operational efficiencies.

Cons

Located in a remote southern area of Santa Cruz County.

Orion Telescopes and Binoculars2015-04-17

"Awful, I have never been treated like this in all my work life."

Former Employee - Director of Product Development in Watsonville, CA

I worked at Orion Telescopes and Binoculars full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was a subject matter expert; I enjoyed the market and products line.

Cons

The President is not skilled working with people. Does not listen even though he knows nothing about the market or the product. he has not grown the company in 7 years.

Advice to Management

This is a product oriented market - like cars or audio gear or any other consumer hobby product. Until you embrace the development of new products, you are closing the door on significant growth opportunities.

Orion Telescopes and Binoculars2014-05-13