Orlando Sentinel Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Loved the Company"

Current Employee - Sales Support in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orlando Sentinel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the Company, enjoyed my co-workers

Cons

hard to move up - everything was lateral

2. "Working at orlando sentinel"

Former Employee - Packaging Operations in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Packaging Operations in Orlando, FL

I worked at Orlando Sentinel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits were good .401k match,

Cons

like in all places there are some lazy people but that's not orlando sentinels fault

Advice to Management

managment was good to me can't complain

"Many talented people work there and the reduction in workforce was a constant."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Orlando Sentinel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Years ago, I would have recommended this place. This company used to be thriving and a great place to work. It celebrated diversity and had very talented people working there. My experience there was positive for most of the years I was there, most managers did not micromanage you. You could move around to different departments within the company. I was part of an excellent team and would have stayed there longer if not for the constant layoffs. The office was pretty casual, and you didn't feel confined. There were company wide community events such as Days of Caring and there used to be company sports teams. I miss it as it was.

Cons

The downsides included being owned by Tribune/tronc. It felt as if any time our team was successful at a new business idea, our parent company would take it away and take it over. They would take away the customer service part, price us out of the market and we'd lose customers. They regularly outsourced everything, leading to customers' dissatisfaction and these decisions were made overnight without any thought to how it would be implemented or the impact it would cause locally. They decided to charge rent on each of the buildings, further siphoning money away from the local properties. We were supposed to be "One Company" but it seemed as if the money constantly moved up and not down. We were tasked with ways to save every penny, even so much as installing toilets that barely flushed anything. Over the years, benefits were removed, even something as trivial as a free soda machine. In our Town Halls, even if it seemed as if we were on the up and up, raises weren't on the table. They always introduced new and improved ways to manage your career track. This really meant a time-consuming self-appraisal every year that never lead to a merit increase. It's very sad what has happened over the years. I don't necessarily blame Orlando Sentinel. They were always dealing with declining print subscribers but not given the resources needed to try new things. This latest layoff was hard because so many of those individuals had worked there many, many years. Again, this was due to tronc who seems only to be interested in putting money into shareholders pockets.

Advice to Management

Local management has done everything they can to keep their employees working and happy. So I will not unfairly point the finger at them. I've had great managers that kept us employed by doing everything they could with what they were facing. I will say that Tribune/tronc has taken a once thriving company and managed to take as much away from it as possible. The Town Halls never seem to address when, if any raises will be awarded. Most employees have taken on triple the workload but have not had any merit increases. It's a shame that the employees are not treated as if they were valuable to the success of the business.

Aug 30, 2017 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for your service and for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. Our management team believes all our employees, at all levels of the organization, are vitally important to our... More

4. "Sales"

I worked at Orlando Sentinel full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Dying industry with no future

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

Aug 30, 2017 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your acknowledging your outstanding colleagues. We are proud of the work that is underway towards growing our digital audience and have also made critical... More

5. "Press operator"

Current Employee - Press Operator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orlando Sentinel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and pay. Management is also good. Have worked here a long time and have enjoyed the experience. Good job

Cons

Newspapers are on their way out. Have always worked nights and will never get off on holidays. Overtime is required and also work weekends.

Advice to Management

None

6. "Wonderful people to work with"

I have been working at Orlando Sentinel full-time

Pros

Fantastic group of employees, always willing to help anyone out. Excellent team environment and management has faith in the employees doing the job.

Cons

Declining industry on the print side. There are frequent cutbacks and layoffs so any job there is not that secure

Advice to Management

Don't focus solely on the digital customer. There are many who still see the value in the printed product every day.

7. "Reporter"

Current Employee - Senior Field Reporter in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Field Reporter in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Orlando Sentinel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

editors never fact check your work

Cons

I publish a lot of b.s.

Aug 30, 2017 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We remain committed to maintaining the highest integrity of our award-winning journalism and follow a thorough review process ensuring the credibility of our reporting.

8. "Disappointing overall, executives are entitled and clueless"

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Orlando Sentinel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for the Orlando Sentinel is the brand name. Since its basically the only newspaper in the metro area everyone knows the name. That can help a little.

Cons

Newspaper business is dying a slow certain death. The executives at the sentinel have known this for many years and still they are clueless as to how to effectively create new business models and turn things around. Finally, the executives seem to dump on the reps out in the field. The lower level employees are always to blame. Management needs to stop and take responsibility for the mess they have created.

Advice to Management

Treat your field level employees better. First by paying a much more competitive wage. Secondly stop blaming lower level employees for bad decisions made by management and finally hire real creative people stop using the same old tired strategies expecting a different result. Oh one more thing management start taking responsibility for your mistakes, own it and do better.

Mar 30, 2017 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for the feedback. Our company, and the entire media industry, is confronting a rapidly changing business environment. We strive to create a dynamic environment where all employees can take... More

9. "Great people, dying business."

I worked at Orlando Sentinel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are passionate about what they do. A lot have great ideas and are knowledgeable about their field but not a lot of those ideas are implemented or even heard.

Cons

Low pay. Little to no growth opportunity. Men are typically promoted over women. Not a very diverse newsroom. More focused on stories that are mainstream rather than actual news pieces.

Advice to Management

Value the people that work hard and make sure you do everything to keep the ones who contribute and go above and beyond.

Dec 7, 2016 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We believe that strong talent is a differentiator and that the best ideas come from a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences and cultures. We strive to provide... More

10. "county editor (assignment and content editor)"

Former Employee - County Editor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - County Editor in Orlando, FL

Pros

Very satisfying work mentoring a sharp group of young reporters and putting out some excellent stories -- both on breaking news and enterprise/investigative projects.

Cons

Company had a lousy business model for handling competition with the internet to keep readers and advertisers. As a result, painful downsizing of the editorial staff became necessary. While still a good product, the newspaper today is a shadow of its former self.

Advice to Management

Don't give away your best editorial work product on the Web without making people pay at least something small for it.

Oct 14, 2016 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for the feedback. We remain committed to maintaining the highest integrity of our award-winning journalism, while experimenting with how to enhance and deliver engaging content. We believe... More