Orrick Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Orrick Chairman Mitchell Zuklie
Mitchell Zuklie

Pros
  • wonderful benefits and work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• The benefits are good and offer opportunities to spend time with family especially after having a child (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, which is standard for this type of position (in 10 reviews)

• Lack of direction from management; lack of work life balance; people who aren't qualified to be managers are (in 4 reviews)

1. "Legal assistant"

I worked at Orrick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People were friendly and the work was interesting. A lot of opportunities to work on interesting documents. The benefits are good and offer opportunities to spend time with family especially after having a child.

Cons

Management was poor. Direct manager acted unethically and requested questionable actions. Same manager was also incredibly rude and expected one to work off the clock without pay.

2. "Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Practice Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Practice Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Orrick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful mentor who was not selfish with sharing the tricks of the paralegal trade. The attorneys are kind and willing to provide guidance for prospective law school applicants.

Cons

Most of the assistant work is document review and records management. Not much exposure to legal theory or compelling case work.

3. "Okay experience- standard biglaw"

I worked at Orrick full-time

Pros

Salary, nicer attorneys than other firms

Cons

Standard biglaw cons of the job (hours, unpredictability, etc)

5. "Staff raise and bonus are practically non existent"

Former Employee - Business Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I worked at Orrick full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I feel they do care about the staff Moral in the office. We were treated well while working.

Cons

My raise for 5 years was less than 2%. My bonus for hard work was $1500. Then I was told I was maxed out for salary and would never get a raise again. Ever. And then I was told my bonus would NOT reflect the deficit of no raise. So it makes no difference if I stay late or put the extra effort to get projects out. I always work hard. But if I slack or go above and beyond it makes no difference.

Advice to Management

Value your staff more. Your maternity policy is amazing ......for attorneys. You made a whole big deal about how the new policy values the women in the organization, how you want to make sure that women having children get a lot of time off and then get eased back in. But that's only for attorneys not staff. Its actually embarrassing when your CTO has a baby and she is treated like the staff. Much shorter maternity leave. But then again she gets bonus, raise and I bet making over a few hundred K a year.......

"I manage big client data"

I have been working at Orrick full-time

Pros

I mainly work independently. There is no one looking over my shoulder and I have the flexibility to complete my tasks as I see fit.

Cons

They are a very liberal company and are proud to push liberal causes. They have very strict policies set in place that govern departments as a whole and often do not fit a specific situation or person.

Advice to Management

Give managers and workers more freedom to handle situations and people as they feel is best. When making company wide decisions pull lower level people into focus groups to understand how decisions effect different positions.

7. "Marketing Specialist"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Wheeling, WV
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Wheeling, WV

I have been working at Orrick full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

wonderful benefits and work-life balance

Cons

professional growth opportunities lack in areas outside of legal positions

8. "Billing and Collections Manager"

I have been working at Orrick full-time

Pros

Great Firm that cares about their employees and stands by their core values.

Cons

Hour long commute to get there.

9. "Associate Attorney"

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Orrick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Base Salary and Bonus Structure are competitive and the firm has been recognized as a top 100 company to work for by Fortune and the most innovative law firm in the U.S. by the Financial Times. Senior Management has done an excellent job of channeling the firm to focus on a few practices, such as public finance, energy, and technology companies. The firm has excelled in those areas. The IP litigation and employment litigation practices are also excellent.

Cons

The Bonus Structure is only competitive with Vault 20 law firms if you hit your billable hour requirements. Orrick doesn't give billable hour credit for training or firm contributions hours. Billable hours are not spread evenly among associates but that is likely a similar problem at most law firms. You'll get better benefits such as health insurance or 401k if you go in-house.

Advice to Management

Consider removing the billable hours requirement for associate bonuses in order to become more competitive with Vault 20 law firms in attracting talent, and providing billable hours credit for training and firm contribution. Adopt a better workflow process for associate attorneys.

10. "Great place to be an associate"

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Orrick full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative environment
    Excellent substantive opportunities
    Early responsibility
    Reasonable work-life balance for big law
    No screamers
    Interesting and complicated cases

Cons

Difficult to establish mentoring relationships for non-traditional associates
    Numerous lateral hires make for a patchy office culture at times
    No partner buy-in for supposed firm initiatives (e.g. diversity initiatives, associate initiatives)

Advice to Management

I think the real issue is lack of partner buy-in for supposed firm priorities. For example, there are tons of associate committees and affiliate committees and such, but there is little to no partner involvement so it feels like a lot of lip service to supposed firm culture without any actual impact. That said, the firm has identified good priorities and initiatives, it's just failing to execute at the moment.

11. "Don't do it."

Former Employee - Paralegal in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Orrick (More than 5 years)

Pros

The attorneys are absolutely great.

Cons

The administrative folks are a nightmare to deal with.

Advice to Management

They need new management.