OrthoCarolina Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Patient Specialist"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Mooresville, NC
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Mooresville, NC

I worked at OrthoCarolina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO
    Health Insurance
    No late nights or weekends

Cons

No overtime
    Need to recognize employees more

Advice to Management

Give more raises

2. "Patient Services Coordinator"

Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Patient Services Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at OrthoCarolina full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sometimes there are raffle tickets to sports games, 1 hr lunch breaks, PTO, occasionally free food from drug reps

Cons

This is the most ridiculously disorganized hot mess I have encountered. The left hand never knows what the right hand is doing, which is confusing considering how many different hands they have in everything. Everything is way more complicated than it needs to be, which frustrates the patients and the staff but the patient's at least get to take it out on you since you are the only ones they can get a hold of. And believe me when I tell you, just because you are hired to be a PSC in a particular office, that does not mean you just work for that office and just answer their phones. You basically work for a poorly run, short staffed call center. Except unlike a call center where you just answer phones. They also want you to call hundreds of people a week for referrals and only give you 48 hrs from the time you get it to call them 3 times. You also have to call the 50 patients that got bumped from the doctor's schedule if he decides to go fishing on Friday. But let's not forget that there are only two of you who are responsible for answering "your" incoming calls. So while you are calling your half, that leaves your partner to answer back to back calls that are definitely going over 2 minutes which means the ones that they missed while on the phone with someone else are rerouted to the overflow queue and are then counted against your stats. This also happens if one of you are out and someone from the actual "call center" has to "help" your office answer calls or if the Physical Therapy scheduler is out, one of your two people has to answer those phones as well, leaving you to miss the ones you are actually "graded" on. Your calls are also recorded for quality assurance even though they never gave you an actual guideline or script before they started doing it.They did mention they would start doing it in the only staff meeting we have had in like 2 years. You are supposed to keep your calls under 2 minutes but are not allowed to transfer a patient to the actual office they are requesting so you then have to use a spreadsheet with physician and physician assistant scheduling preferences which may or may not even be updated, to fumble around some other office's schedule while trying to field questions about some place you've never been to, again, while staying under 2 minutes.
    I came to OrthoCarolina because it was a smaller company than the huge corporation that I was used to. I thought they would care about their employees, be more organized with smaller staff and that there would be better benefits. But the doctor's I work with, barely acknowledge we exist, everyone is so busy trying to tattle on each other or get a patient off their phone by foisting off on you, whether you can even help them or not, no one helps anyone. The insurance is terrible, I can't wait for this to go on my credit report, because I definitely can't afford my doctor's visits. Also, please never email anyone to ask a question. They will attach 5 other people to it and none of them will have an answer and if they do, you'll find out it was wrong when you get an email blaming you for a mistake you made. Save every email you are sent about changes in policy or guidelines.
    Luckily my doctor just gave me something for anxiety to get me through the day until I get out of here.

Advice to Management

Ask your employee what they think about their department and how it runs. There are breakdowns and confusion literally every where. No one knows who does what, there are no uniform answers to anything so we all look like idiots to the patient. Someone from the billing department just transferred a patient to me to get an estimate on how much her appointment would cost her.

3. "Radiologic Technologist"

Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist
    Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist

I have been working at OrthoCarolina full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great environment
    -Love my hours
    -Best coworkers (teamwork)
    -Job duties
    -Activity in community

Cons

-Terrible benefits
    -Pay
    -Finding coverage
    -No sick time

4. "Test and surgery scheduling"

Current Employee - Tss
    Current Employee - Tss

I have been working at OrthoCarolina full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, hardworking people. Coworkers always step up and offer to help whenever they can even though everyone in the clinic is drowning in their own work.

Cons

High patient volume and super demanding patients. Disorganization due to high volume. Constantly set up for failure because patients are given timeframes we would never be able to meet due to high volume causing hysteria among patients. High turnover rate. Patients that throw temper tantrums are treated the best no matter what the situation.

Advice to Management

Help your employees and keep them happy to lower turnover rate. Stop bending over backward for irate patients that treat staff poorly.

5. "RN"

Pros

Nice offices and multiple locations

Cons

Don't value RNs that work there; they use CMAs mostly

6. "Great company!"

Former Employee - PostSurgicalSpecialist in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - PostSurgicalSpecialist in Charlotte, NC

I worked at OrthoCarolina (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and wonderful group of people to work with. Clearl expectations and plenty of growth opportunities. The employees all feel like a family instead of just co workers.

Cons

Not many cons. With my position the biggest con would have been the miles I put on my car driving around a lot, the damage to my car from the equipment I had to carry around and being on call.

7. "OrthoCarolina Business Office"

Pros

Well known company in the community. Lots of growth on the horizon.

Cons

Beyond entry and mid level opportunities, your chances of getting a job here without knowing someone are slim. Departments do not collaborate or work together well. Pay is below market for the nature of work and volume. Decisions a remade at the top with little regard to majority of employees and much regard to the pockets of the owners and upper level management.

8. "PSS"

Current Employee - PSS in Boone, NC
    Current Employee - PSS in Boone, NC

I have been working at OrthoCarolina full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in day to day schedule

Cons

Diversity and lack of cultural competency outside of Charlotte Area

9. "Axxount Support Coordinator"

Former Employee - Account Support Coordinator in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Account Support Coordinator in Charlotte, NC

I worked at OrthoCarolina (Less than a year)

Pros

Additional Experience in Collection account and Applied Revenue Cycle Management

Cons

Lack of team working environment and training department

Advice to Management

Need additional peer review process

"OrthoCarolina Hip and Knee Center"

Former Employee - PSC in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - PSC in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Overall, OrthoCarolina offers great healthcare insurance coverage, bonuses are available for the PSC position if you meet quarterly goals, the doctors and PA's are nice and welcoming and the center is very clean and well kept.

Cons

The criteria to meet the quarterly bonus for this position almost seemed impossible to reach at times due to the high volume of patients the center has.