Orvis Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Perk Perkins Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employee Discount, easy to sell product, flexible hours (in 12 reviews)

• great staff great benefits and amazing customer service everything you would want in a company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The Fly-Fishing departments of the retail stores are handicapped by a corporate holdback on supplies (in 4 reviews)

• Pay scale attracts part-time transitional candidates or those who are semi-retired who are motivated by the discounts (in 3 reviews)

1. "Amazing oportunity"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Orvis Company part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cons

truly can't think of many cons wish I could have worked there forever

Advice to Management

keep it up jimmy

2. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at Orvis Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team of associates in the store I worked were a fun group of hard working people that took their goal's seriously and pursued them with passion.

Cons

My position's potential for growth is particularly slow.

Advice to Management

Scheduling associates on inconsistent days, on a weekly basis, was frustrating and limiting.

3. "Retail Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Orvis Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid time off, Commission, Store Discount

Cons

consistent weekend hours, other than that not many cons

4. "CLASSY COMPANY"

Former Employee - Outlet Store Manager
    Former Employee - Outlet Store Manager

I worked at Orvis Company full-time

Pros

I didnt spend much time with Orvis as my family and I moved out of state about 6 months after I started there, but I must say this company is ALL CLASS. From the interview in Vermont (paid for me to travel as well as stay in a great Bed & Breakfast... as well as giving me a $50 GC to secret shop a store with!!) to the training period spent there as well as in my Home Store... this company cared about me and adding me to the team. They give you some creative control as a manager and support your business decisions. AND... I wasnt open at midnight for Black Friday! A company concerned about me and my family! WOW!

Cons

None really. Perhaps adding an assistant management position...

Advice to Management

Keep doing what youre doing. Nothing is perfect, sure. But you have the right idea and are growing.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Cherry Grove, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Cherry Grove, OH

I have been working at Orvis Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are able to see several customers dogs during the course of the day.

Cons

Unfortunately it a position where at my location I was treated very poorly by customers and Management.

Advice to Management

Learn to build sales without using a broken sales structure. Sending out coupons and continually discounting items in a catalog that is mailed monthly not only educates the customer to shop less, it also devalues items when they are at the peak of their life cycle. The Print catalog is costly....the mailer is costly. There is a growing sales business of drop ship programs and as well as online sales. Retail is shrinking and loosing it's unique sense of Community...In order to do that we need to be proactive in that specific community.

6. "Key Holder"

Current Employee - Key Holder
    Current Employee - Key Holder

I have been working at Orvis Company full-time

Pros

Employees and Management really do act like family. None of the normal cattiness of retail work.

Cons

Poor pay, poor scheduling. They "prefer" a college degree, but only pay $12/hr or so for that degree. Additionally, they tend to schedule me 40 hours a week, but over 6 days so I only get one day off a week.

7. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Sussex Unit, WY
    Current Employee - Manager in Sussex Unit, WY

I have been working at Orvis Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good product discounts. Family Owned. Good job stability.

Cons

No weekends off. PTO is doled out due to constant blackout dates. Poor employee retention. Poor pay raises. The Orvis average advertised salary or hourly wage is 2 dollars above my wage per hour... after 8 years of busting my rear for Orvis. H.R.... don't get them involved either. They exist to fire people, not support them. Promotions come with more and longer hours. You promote the brand to the detriment of yourself. You lose any individuality in the corporate culture which is defined and promoted as a positive thing but never trickles down to my level. Work really hard, a wage increase of 10 cents an hour or 30 cents an hour... more and more duties and responsibilities and a lack of support from management. Praise is whispered, criticism is shouted. You will be not valued if you fall afoul of one of the great awesome leaders of the company through rumor, and not your actual performance. Top down management means you will never have the resources you need to get the job done. Tasks such as merchandising, shipment, floor sets, sale set-ups will be commanded even if you have no resources. Just get it done! No over-time allowed. Result? You bust your rear to get things done, no time off, no fishing, no vacation unless it is approved... and it seems limited to when the waters are frozen. Burn-out is rampant now, and the plans of corporate to turn the company around are all over the map and not focused. I have been a customer for 30 years, and know the product and the brand better than most, and it is losing it's focus, even as focus on the brand is a priority at Orvis. The Fly-Fishing departments of the retail stores are handicapped by a corporate holdback on supplies. If you don't invest in the business. it will fail. What you plant will grow. Don't invest and reap a diminished brand.

Advice to Management

Employee asset management starts with retention. PAY people, and don't overwork them. Nobody likes goals and key measures that are unattainable without cheating. The Orvis culture was a reaction to poor employee internal reviews. Lip-service is just that. Lipstick on a pig. Promise and deliver, love your employees and support them. They are your best assets.

8. "Past employee"

I worked at Orvis Company full-time

Pros

Open communication channels, teamwork approach to projects, and plenty of independence

Cons

Challenging and competitive time for retailers

9. "Great"

Pros

Wonderful group of people to work with! Other sales floor associate were always willing to explain products of their expertise.

Cons

There was a "system" where you needed to share the customers. This made it hard at times because if you were working with a customer, and another customer ask for your help it came off as hogging the customers.

Advice to Management

This company was wonderful to work for and the manager was doing a great job!

10. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Orvis Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Orvis offers great products and has exceptional customer service

Cons

Some of the customers act as if you owe them something.

Advice to Management

not much