Oscar Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Oscar Health CEO Mario T. Schlosser
Mario T. Schlosser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Incredibly mission-driven and collaborative work environment" (in 22 reviews)

• "Great Co-Workers, fun environment, free food" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "With every new start up company you have growing pains" (in 19 reviews)

• "Treated customer service horribly" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Over a year and still so happy"

Current Employee - Clinical Reviewer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Clinical Reviewer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Oscar Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have SO many.

-programs for everything! (basketball, students, parents, inclusivity, etc)
    -amazing benefits you get day one (life, AD&D, health, vision, dental, and others you can sign up for- even backup care for kids)
    -great atmosphere
    -fun, unique and hardworking people
    -free bagel Thursdays. EVERY THURSDAY
    -random events like poker night, movie knight, karaoke night, and free lunches/drinks all the time
    -free drinks and snacks, even cereals and juices
    -WE GOT A SELTZER MACHINE... WITH FLAVORS
    -Iced coffee. On Tap.
    -hot coffee made through all day every day
    -staggered shifts
    -awesome bosses that work with your life, whatever the circumstances
    -amazing pto, sick time, Holiday pay (if you work some Holidays, its x2 pay!) and so on. There is even paternal leave! Who else does that?
    -hide away comfort areas
    -a game room (so many things in here, even a ps4)
    -the pay. Lets be honest, Oscar KNOWS how to do right by their people. They take care of us and make sure we are happy in our outside lives and here. I love working here, and I actually mean this.

Cons

-not many
    -there is still construction going on- but that's because we are getting a new second kitchen and stuff - so this isn't even a con :)

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Oscar Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Take the leap! If there were a Most Wonderful Company list, this company might be at the top. I worked at Oscar for four years, so I think I can bring some insight/synthesis from my experiences.

*As many have commented before, the team is built of brilliant and mission-driven people. My coworkers not only inspired me but often became lifelong friends over the course of building the company.
    *It's a fun, free-spirited environment that values intelligence, tenacity, and ability to foster partnerships with colleagues. It's easy to become a brand ambassador.
    *Senior leadership represent some of the best talent across their industries, and many of them will go out of their way to mentor and get to know you. Also, I don't know anyone who doesn't think that Mario is a truly exceptional, one-in-one-hundred-million kind of person.
    *Very iterative, feedback-oriented environment. Leaders display and value in others a quick adaptation to the needs of the team and business that keeps the company nimble.

Cons

From my point of view, there aren't really any "cons." However, I would say common pain points are:
    *Many have at some point, felt the impact of unclear career-pathing at least in the early days. In some instances, changing roles or achieving goals can involve a large component of networking. This is a con for some.
    *As many have commented, there are many junior people managers, as is the case with most young companies or start-ups. It's to-be-expected, but it can create some challenges in the Oscar experience, as well, considering the enormous amount of transition many employees experience.

Advice to Management

I don't know if I'm in a position to give any advice! Maybe someday :)

"RN"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Oscar Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative and exciting work in health care.

Cons

There are no negatives for Oscar.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Office politics / bullying / sociopaths on Product"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Oscar Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Standard startup traps that appeal to kids 25 and under:

- snacks
    - beer
    - ping pong table
    - lots of money for Eng, they essentially run the show

Cons

- Turnover: so many good people left this year, including talented people in Design and Marketing.

- Bait and Switch: you’re promised one thing, but end up working on something else. You stay doing it because hey, this company is “mission-driven”

- Leadership is failing: Mario is a visionary but most other c-suite folks are there sweating under the immense pressure. They all hate the work but love the paycheck.

- Culture is a joke: recruitment will tell you about how great the culture is. It’s not. It’s sad and siloed. Once you stop drinking the Kool-Aid (which is green and made of paper) you wake up and realize you’re working at a health insurance company with a large marketing budget for cute millennial ads. That’s it.

Advice to Management

- Of course you want to make your number and goals - but stop promoting mean people with low emotional intelligence. It’s discouraging and sends a bad message to the rest of the company. You’re losing your humanity and it’s palpable.

- Focus on HR that is kinder to people and can be used as a resource instead of a police task force.

- People are crying in the bathroom stalls. Do some mental health checks on your employees. Less “ice cream days” and more interpersonal communication.

"Clinical"

I have been working at Oscar Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review is an update to address the recent concerns and accusations by former Oscar employees about their work experiences. First of all, there were several comments about favoritism and unfair treatment. This is inaccurate because everyone can email directly to our CEO Mario about any concern and it will be heard and dealt with. Oscar has a zero tolerance of any type of harassment or bullying.
    When I was on boarding in the NY office several months ago, Mario took the time to speak with me and showed great empathy towards me during our interaction. Mario is passionate about Oscar’s development and growth and he continues to share updates with total transparency. The Oscar culture is about visibility and accountability. The best work environment.
    One opinion that is misdirected is that Oscar does not provide enough feedback or direction. Oscar expects you to contribute and take the initiative for your professional development. Oscar is supportive. Recently, Oscar implemented several manager training and mentoring programs for professional development.

Oscar embraces a culture of inclusion. Time management skills are maxed, and must be thrive in a fast paced changing environment. Metrics driven, customer service satisfaction driven. The rewards personal are great and will carry forward into all other job and life experiences. Oscar's culture is for diversity and acceptance for everyone where people are willing to help when asked. At Oscar we feel like a family and we make sure that we all succeed together. Working in such a great environment with other great employees make you feel good about coming into work everyday I work with great people and for a company I admire. Oscar has helped my professional and personal development .
    Tempe AZ operations are huge and engaging with dynamic passion! Everyone works hard and I have the greatest respect for clinical team. Everyone cares about Oscar members and strives to give the optimum experience. Oscar's clinical vision is Helping people, resolving challenging issues.
    Management varies from location to location, but you will always feel welcome. Yes, there have been times that I do not understand certain department practices and experienced frustrating situations, however, my Oscar team has given me direction when needed. Emphasis on being polite and nice. There is a ton of feedback given in a positive manner.

Cons

This not place if you expect for company to give you constant feedback and praise. Expect stellar personal development that stays with you. The Oscar experience on the whole will reset the bar. Expect changes all the time which might not be for everyone!

Advice to Management

Management team thanks you for the opportunity to be an Oscar employee. Looking forward to the future with Oscar!

6. "Care Guide"

Former Employee - Care Guide in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Oscar Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, doing good things

Cons

Terminated for a very wrong reason, weird schedules, no instruction

Advice to Management

Make things much more clear to your newer employees who are just starting out. Oscar says it is all about teaching moments and nobody is perfect but fired me because they said I "cheated" on the training test which was not the case. I actually got to meet the CEO of the company and he is great and the company is great but the management who decided to fire me was not so great as they have no idea what went on in the training room.

"It's corporate and political. It is not a start up anymore."

Former Employee - Care Guide in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Fun environment.

Cons

Internal politics are more important than work ethic. It's quite subjective, if you don't fit the mold, don't expect to go places here.

8. "The right hand does not talk to the left"

Current Employee - Team Member in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Team Member in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Oscar Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO, Sick days, unsick day, 401k (although they only match 1%) and bagel Thursday’s.

Cons

The company is very disorganized. They defend this by hiding behind being a “start up” but it’s been six years and it’s time to stop playing that card. Real processes and procedures need to be put in place to avoid putting the blame on the employees for failed metrics. Management is very cliquish and there is a high school vibe typical of most call centers that they are trying to set themselves apart from but are failing miserably. Don’t expect to get a straight answer from anybody there, especially leadership. They often promote giving their employees good work life balance but don’t trust it. If you are sick and miss work you will be on their radar. There is tremendous attrition especially during open enrollment where they mine as well hold a sign outside the office and hire any warm body to fill a seat then suddenly groups of people are being called into an office for a mass firing. In the past year, since the company has grown, there is less and less value on the employees that got them where they are today and more emphasis on their own objectives. They are no different then most greedy corporations and do not hold value to what’s important.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your employees. Get organized and do what’s right. Hire quality over quantity. Don’t treat employees like a number and if you want to be different from the rest be able to speak to that and truly be different.

"Concierge"

Current Employee - Concierge in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Concierge in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Oscar Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very challenging position where you get to work closely with members. Helping fix their issues. That part is very enjoyable.

Cons

When I started here there were many perks. Free coffee and drinks, once in a while you would get free snacks. Now the coffee urns are empty most of the time. The free drink cooler is always empty and the free snacks are very far and few. Once you are released from training and on the floor then management will forget about you. You have 140 hours of PTO to use but Management will never authorize it. All they want now is to hound you about wrap up time and call volume. It's a shame. I was hoping for better.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the company values and why the company was started.

"Product Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Oscar Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, Great Health Benefits

Cons

At times a very toxic work environment with extremely junior people leading teams, EQ is minimal or non-existent. Engineering much like other parts of the org are extremely understaffed. No investment in diversity programs. Most employees that work here are carbon copies of each other - rich and white. No value is not placed on employees that are innovative or improve processes. Rather, value is placed on employees that follow marching orders and do as their told, even if it's to the detriment of the company.

Advice to Management

Great product can truly innovate healthcare. But you need to grow up, VERY QUICKLY - and more importantly value employees of color more who appear to be some of the hardest working people at the org, but are often overlooked for promotions and disrespected.

Oscar Health Response

Oct 12, 2018 – Talent Brand

Thank you for providing that feedback. We're so disappointed to hear that your experience with us thus far has been less that positive. While we know that we have a lot of work to do to achieve the... More