Oscar Health Reviews

Updated May 26, 2020

3.7
Pros
Cons
  • "Oscar paid me to get my license to sell health insurance(in 40 reviews)

• "Growing pains are always going to be apart of a fast-growing company like this(in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to be a software engineer and do good for the world!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Oscar Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are tons of things that make working at Oscar great as a Software Engineer, but I'll try to give my main points. - Everyone is so nice and easy to work with. It must just be because the company is so small, but I've only had pleasant interactions with other people on my and other teams. People are so quick to help that it just startles me compared to other places I've worked. This extends to social issues too - everyone I've talked to is very liberal, especially on LGBT issues (and obviously healthcare). This makes it really easy to "be yourself at work," which a lot of companies claim is what happens, but I really believe it's actualized here. - Everyone seems more or less excited about the product we're building. It's legitimately cool that Oscar is working on refactoring healthcare, and everyone I talk to is legitimately impressed by our app, and the fact that we process claims in-house. And besides the tech behind it, the idea of a low cost health insurance plan has great social implications to making sure that Americans can afford healthcare - and people at the company seem very driven by this mission. Not to say that it's culty like the stereotype of other startups - people are extremely quick to ask the hard questions to upper management, and have pretty reasonable expectations of what Oscar is. - The tech stack is very clean - people care very much about code quality, and making sure everything in the infrastructure is solid and clean as well. All the internal and external apps are held to high standards, both in terms of code quality and design standards. There's also a big culture of writing out internal posts to share tech information to better the whole company. - Management is especially extremely easy to work with. I've had some not-great managers, but the ones I've worked with at Oscar are amazing. They will listen to you, trust your judgement, not over-work you, and generally make you feel good about what you do. They'll work with you to make sure you're working on good things for you, and in my experience have made working here easy (as well as keeping my blood pressure down). I feel like I've always been put on the most important projects and issues, and only things that will help my career growth. It helps that managers are expected to be technical, and contribute to the codebase as well as perform people management. There's probably more I'm not thinking of, but I hope this paints a good picture.

Cons

One (minor) issue that comes to mind is the fact that the tech stack is still on Python 2, which is set to die in 2020. It's understandable that moving over is a lot of work, but it has to be prioritized.

Oscar Health2019-06-09
  2. "I liked working at Oscar"

Former Employee - Care Guide

I worked at Oscar Health full-time

Pros

Bagel Thursday! My team threw me a HUGE potluck when I left! I liked it when I got super good at my job and did some amazing customer service stuff for our members.

Cons

Oscar paid me to get my license to sell health insurance. I learned a bunch about health insurance while working with my Concierge Team. Our office space was way nice, and we had lots of natural light on the North side of the building. Nice sidewalks and landscaping. Standing desks. Locker room with showers. Lots of free food and drinks, FREE FOOD TRUCK FOOD! Cool break areas could be found throughout the building. Fantastic company parties! Training classes at the Tempe Hub were really fun to attend, and I learned a lot. Mario would come out often and speak. Covered parking. Located close to lots of food places and stores. Sometimes we would get to pet puppies on breaks. I learned how to meditate in a meditation class they provided this one time.

Oscar Health2020-05-20

"Get your act together"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Oscar Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Collaborative and team work oriented culture.

Cons

- Elitist approach to hiring. The company would rather have someone with an ivy league school on their resume than a qualified candidate. - Quantity over quality. Oscar focuses on rigorous expansion of their network gives little time or resources to any role responsible to managing it.

Oscar Health2020-05-26

"Be Careful Here"

I worked at Oscar Health full-time

Pros

Great pay, beautiful modern office. Friendly people (to your face). Very diverse and welcoming.

Cons

A lot of the decision makers haven't been leaders or managers for very long and it shows. For many of them, Oscar is their first managerial role. (Look them up on LinkedIn. Not exaggerating) Unfortunately, they're not spring chickens. They're stubborn and refuse to change or even learn from their mistakes until a wildly expensive penalty occurs. A week later and they're back at it again. The April layoffs could have been prevented if anyone at the company had any foresight to see they were heading towards disaster. Their need to pay people well above market value probably also contributed.

Oscar Health2020-05-07

May 12, 2020Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback. Oscar has hired many senior leaders and managers to lead our teams here, in addition to our team members who have grown into leadership positions within Oscar. All managers participate in a mandatory manager training to ensure they are equipped to lead their teams, and we have a 360-degree performance review process and multiple employee engagement surveys per year to ensure a culture of feedback for all our employees, managers and leaders here. As you note, last month Oscar made the difficult decision of letting go of about 5% of Oscar employees and reducing our costs overall. This decision was in response to COVID-19 and the profound economic uncertainty it has caused us, our members, and everyone going through this crisis. We did this because, now more than ever, we need to make sure that every dollar we spend goes towards the improvement of our members’ health, their healthcare experience and the costs they bear for getting excellent health care. Our mission is to make healthcare more affordable and accessible, and we need to make hard choices now to ensure we have the financial resources available for our current and future members - especially when we do not know what the future holds.

5. "Customer service rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Oscar Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

greay benefits and very relaxed enviroment

Cons

No Cons in my opinions

Oscar Health2020-04-14

"Be Careful"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Oscar Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees seem friendly...but only to your face.

Cons

Lots of layoffs...April was not the first time this has happened. Full time Employees do not get “unlimited PTO” as boosted...its very micromanaged and departments have very stringent policies on its use...don’t be fooled by Recruiters. Leadership is way too young not enough years of experience in the insurance industry and that’s throughout the departments as well. Most Managers went straight from school into Management positions never climbing the ladder. CEO and COO drive blindly...both have never worked in the insurance industry prior to this. Salary is below market..most employees take at least 8-10k paycut. The insurance is awful...very micromanaged..allot gray contracting areas. Quick to setup in markets but little bandwidth for members to receive proper care. I see foresee many lawsuits down the line. They boost being high market value with telemedicine and apps...so does every other insurance company hate to tell you Oscar. Hard to listen to all hands when those that are talking haven’t even been out of highschool less than 15 years. If they make it it will be because it’s bought by a larger competitor and torn apart. Allot of whispering and talking behind each other’s back. Managers tell people they abuse unlimited PTO..then why have unlimited PTO...because they use it as a scam!!!! Be very very careful..if you don’t plan on being here long using it as a stepping stone it will work in a pinch other than that...sorry Charlie.

Oscar Health2020-05-14

May 20, 2020Recruiting

We’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a negative experience at Oscar and have shared your feedback with our leadership team. We offer competitive compensation and benefits to all employees, as well as opportunities to develop and grow their careers. We also offer unlimited PTO for our exempt employees and a tiered range of PTO for our non-exempt employees. We review all offerings every year and make adjustments to different programs offered at Oscar to fit the needs of our employees and the company. As part of our commitment to pay equity, we benchmark compensation offerings every year to ensure alignment with market standards and are continuously learning from candidates by collecting data around market value as we hire. These programs allow us to ensure fair and structured growth within Oscar, and provide competitive offerings. Oscar has hired many senior leaders and managers to lead our teams here, in addition to our team members who have grown into leadership positions within Oscar, and we’re proud of the breadth of experience our leadership team brings to Oscar. All managers participate in a mandatory manager training to ensure they are equipped to lead their teams, and we have a 360-degree performance review process and multiple employee engagement surveys per year to ensure a culture of feedback for all our employees, managers and leaders here. As you mentioned, Oscar made the difficult decision of letting go of about 5% of Oscar employees and reducing other costs last month in response to COVID-19. We did this because we are a mission-driven company with a vision of making healthcare more affordable and accessible. Now more than ever, we need to make sure that every dollar we spend goes towards the improvement of our members’ health, their healthcare experience and the costs they bear for getting excellent health care. We need to make hard choices now to ensure we have the financial resources available for our current and future members - especially when we do not know what the future holds.

"Interviews"

Former Employee - Complex Case Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Oscar Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Appears to be a great company to work for

Cons

Communication is terrible, no updates

Oscar Health2020-05-12

May 13, 2020Recruiting

Thank you for your feedback and for dedicating your time to our interview process. We’ve shared this feedback with our Talent Acquisition team to ensure we provide transparency around our hiring timeline and that we are more communicative, broadly. We wish you the best of luck!

8. "Fun, caring"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Oscar Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, decent salary

Cons

I don't have anything to share

Oscar Health2020-03-13

"Deceptive Company"

Former Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Oscar Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ping pong table Bagel Thursday’s Casual atmosphere

Cons

Unlimited PTO is “prorated” at hire and it’s 4 weeks, not unlimited Flexible schedule is a blatant lie Frequent large turnover in staff at all levels No true opportunities for promotion, only lateral moves Your stock options are literally worth $0.00

Oscar Health2020-04-08

April 14, 2020Recruiting

We’re sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at Oscar. In regards to benefits and compensation, we review our company benefits every year and make adjustments to different programs offered at Oscar to fit the needs of our employees. We have 360 yearly performance reviews to allow for merit-based promotions and have benchmarked compensation offerings to ensure alignment with market standards. These programs allow us to ensure fair and structured growth within Oscar, and provide competitive offerings. We offer unlimited PTO for our exempt employees and a tiered range of PTO for our non-exempt employees. Oscar is a private company, and many employees have the option to purchase shares in the company as part of their compensation package. As the fair market value of Oscar increases, so does the value of our shares.

"Oscar Health"

I worked at Oscar Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

With the company if being so new, at that time things were not set in stone just yet. So they offered a lot of flexibility.

Cons

Management at that time was horrible.

Oscar Health2020-03-31

April 6, 2020Recruiter

We appreciate your feedback. As with any start up, there can be some growing pains as we continue to scale, but we are always working to ensure our employees are supported by the company and their managers. All Oscar People Managers go through an in-depth management training to ensure they are equipped with the skills and training to support their teams effectively. We are always striving for improvement, and we will communicate your views to our People Strategy and employee experience teams.

Found 277 reviews