Oscar Health Reviews

Found 368 of over 399 reviews

3.7
Oscar Health CEO Mario T. Schlosser
Mario T. Schlosser
Pros
  • "Great atmosphere and work environment(in 24 reviews)

• "A ton of mission-driven people who really care about improving healthcare(in 20 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Oscar preaches acceptance of all view points but does not do that in practice(in 44 reviews)

• "It still is a growing company and with that come growing pains(in 27 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Oscar Health and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Amazing Company

Oct 25, 2020 - Human Resources Business Partner in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Oscar has a very strong culture that is really fueled by its mission. The people who work here are passionate about what they do and are the best and brightest to work with.

Cons

The company is constantly growing and evolving. One must stay very adaptable.

8 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Love this place

May 22, 2021 - Operations Associate in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Family vibe, great benefits, above average pay

Cons

Not a fan of being a public company and new restrictions

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Incredible mission and team but sometimes a lack of innovation

Jun 11, 2021 - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Exceptional team, particularly on engineering - Very adept software and infrastructure stack that is easy and fun to build on - Passionate and mission driven team that is really trying to solve some of healthcare's biggest cost problems - Poster child of all things great in modern healthcare - Truly a fun place to work

Cons

- Growing pains that slowed decision making - Growth of the business is held in very few hands and based on traditional insurance rules. Not product or innovation driven - Often grueling hours although this seemed to be getting better as the team grew

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company, Hit or Miss Teams

Apr 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, admirable mission, great colleagues, the culture they seem to *want* to have is great, but not all team members actually follow it, if you’re hired to the NY office they get treated amazingly

Cons

Absolutely ZERO work life balance (may be ok for someone young with no kids which I am, but even then it was too much), leadership positions given to people who don’t know how to lead/don’t have people skills, don’t promote internally- then hire external hires who have no idea what they are doing. I worked with someone who’d worked on several departments, and know plenty of people here. Some departments are amazing, others are absolutely horrible. They also keep taking on more and more members (which means more work) while expecting the same amount of staff to be able to handle all the work (with the exception of care guides who they hire literally hundreds of) Hint- if you’re dealing with “prior authorizations”- RUN the other direction. They will work you to the absolute bone, mandate overtime, chastise you for going unavailable on the phones even to run to the restroom, and generally be borderline abusive.

4 people found this review helpful

Oscar Health Response

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear about your negative experience while working at Oscar, and we’ve shared your thoughts with our People team for review. We know employees may be feeling the strain of working from home for over a year, during a pandemic no less. Our leadership team, and department and team leaders, are working through company-wide and team-specific initiatives that create more work/life balance, and provide employees with much-needed space, flexibility, and time away from work. Additionally, we’re continuing to work with managers and department leaders to ensure they’re equipped to lead and support their team as we continue to grow, welcome new members, and begin our transition back to the office.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Sinking ship with a culture of incompetence

May 27, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefits (401k, health, etc.) but nothing remarkable.

Cons

Fundamentally, this is a deeply unprofitable health insurance company purporting to be a "start up" via the use of a lot of marketing gloss . Organization is hemorrhaging money with no clear path to profitability and razor thin margins. Mgmt. is seeks to plug cost holes by having employees performs 2-3 jobs each, often in areas in which they are not qualified. This approach might work for a photo sharing app, but this is a highly regulated health insurer. The result is a confused, flailing organization with a culture of incompetence that is constantly playing whack-a-mole with (rightfully) pissed off and often baffled regulators. Talented employees are exiting left and right. Expect this to accelerate dramatically once 6 month post-IPO lock up expires. Mgmgt. talks a big game about culture, "caring about policyholders" and all the other typical start up rhetoric one might expect, but in reality it nickels and dimes its people as any unprofitable business is forced to. Strong pressure not to take any of your "unlimited" vacation days.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Current Employee

Worst leaders I’ve ever worked under

Mar 3, 2021 - Operations in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Analysts are very hardworking and smart - I’ve stayed as long as I have due to the friendships I’ve created here. There are pockets of sanity throughout the company.

Cons

I’ve never worked under worse leaders in my life. Divisions can’t collaborate because each area is too busy playing politics with each other. Managers are corrupt and only care about their image and how they are being perceived and not about actual results. I’ve seen multiple managers throw their analysts under the bus to save face. No support or training/ development for lower level employees even after they escalate they are underwater. I’ve watched multiple new hires leave in less than 3 months. I can name a handful of middle managers that they could fire tomorrow and the day-to-day operations would not change at all. Agree with other reviews on Glassdoor that the All-Hands have basically turned into time for the C-Suite to preach about American politics and virtue signal. Your performance review won’t be based on the results you produced but how much you chose to suck up to your manager who sits back and relaxes while taking credit for the work that you do.

9 people found this review helpful

Recruiting

We appreciate your feedback, and we’re very sorry to hear that you had a negative experience working at Oscar. We’re powered by smart, hard working people, and we want to make sure our employee experience reflects that, and that employees at all levels and across offices feel supported. It’s why, for example, all managers participate in a mandatory manager training to ensure they are equipped to lead their teams, and we have a 360-degree performance review process and multiple employee engagement surveys per year to ensure a culture of feedback for all our employees, managers and leaders here. That being said, we’re always striving for improvement, and we’ll be sharing your feedback with our People Strategy team.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great Company to work for!

Jun 1, 2021 - Associate in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

High visibility to senior leadership, growing company, young workforce

Cons

Still figuring out the kinks of running a business, not clear guidance on promotion cycles

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing people held back by growing pains, mediocre management, and difficult organizational structure

Apr 1, 2021 - Associate Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Incredible, hard-working people; ambitious mission that could redefine healthcare, if accomplished; inspiring CEO

Cons

Non-transparent compensation principles; very difficult to advance internally- emphasis on hiring externally rather than elevating internal talent; difficult to strike work-life balance; very political upper level management, and little incentive for leaders to actually be good people managers and invest in their reports' growth; tons of reporting for the sake of reporting, but leadership doesn't care to lift the hood and understand what's actually going on with their teams

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Exit evaluation of OSCAR

May 5, 2021 - RN Case Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home Friendly staff and colleagues Above average team leadership Adequate salary

Cons

Micro management through out Poor orientation Findings resources and procedures was very time consuming and many times not helpful PTO should be at least 3 weeks for all due to the high stress that the job entails.

Oscar Health Response

Thank you for your feedback. Every manager at Oscar participates in mandatory manager training to ensure they’re equipped to lead their teams and develop their team members, so it’s disappointing to hear that wasn’t the case for you. We want to ensure every employee (and manager!) feels supported, empowered, and set up for success from day one. We will be taking your feedback into account, and if you have more feedback you’d like to share, please feel free to reach out to any member of our People team.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good

May 28, 2021 - Administrative Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, people, clean, nice place.

Cons

Management, salary, the different shifts they have.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 368 Reviews