Oscar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Oscar Group Director Matt Holmes,Andy Morrell
Matt Holmes,Andy Morrell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A company growing in all the right directions!"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Oscar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started working for Oscar right after I graduated from college. Although I only worked for the company for 6 months I learned more from them in that short amount of time then 4 years in college. I loved the men and women I worked with they made me feel accepted and cared about you as an individual and wanted to see you succeed. Oscar as of right now has an office in Houston, TX but they have plans to grow to other cities in Texas and the US in the next few years. I did really like the office size because you really get to know your fellow coworkers and are able to hear how they interact with candidates and clients.It was very helpful when you are a trainee because you can learn from the people around you and better yourself.

Cons

We were going through some upper management changes but I believe in the long run they are for the better. One thing I did find most annoying about third party recruitment is how long it took to get feedback from clients.

"Overpromise under deliver"

I worked at Oscar full-time

Pros

Classic start up. Free food. Underpay.

Cons

Over promise. Under deliver. Pretty much in every way. People Covering their backs constantly

"3 years, 2 locations, 1 company."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Oscar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Oscar Associates in 2011, shortly after graduating from University. Within 9 months, I had successfully completed the development programme (with great support & management) and was expatriated to Houston to help Oscar get off the ground in America. I cannot speak highly enough of the career progression and opportunities that Oscar Associates' offer motivated & driven individuals. This is testament to their structured training from the offset and the ability of their senior staff to implement it effectively.

I have worked in both OAs Manchester and Houston offices - both have been equally enjoyable for different reasons. The Manchester office is very established but was also very welcoming when I first joined. There are a number of different personalities but the overriding feeling is that of a productive and successful environment.

The Houston office, having only been established in 2012, has more of a start up feel. We are going where no-one previously with this company has gone before. It's a small group of individuals, a good blend of British & American employees and although facing our fair share of problems, we have continued to overcome them and the future looks very bright.

What Oscar Associates essentially offer is a career, not just a job. I would highly recommended this company to anyone coming out of University who are keen to challenge themselves, work internationally, develop strong relationships and be financially rewarded.

Recruitment is certainly a challenge.In my mind, it makes sense to join a company that can allow you to flourish, who can help support you and also guide you. For me, that company has been Oscar Associates.

Cons

The challenges I have faced working for Oscar Associates have been products of their own success.

After spending 7 years with one UK office, the last 2 years has seen Oscar branching out and setting up offices in Houston and Singapore. This has come with a number of issues - having to understand new markets, hiring new people that have not quite aligned with the business model, management changes, logistical issues of finding housing, office buildings etc...

These however are all problems that we expected to face and we have managed, despite maybe taking a little longer than expected. This has undoubtedly made the business stronger and, as mentioned earlier, the international opportunities which have opened up for existing staff are invaluable. There are further plans to open up additional international offices (Brazil & Canada spring to mind) and hopefully we can learn from, and take heart from, the experience of establishing the first two international offices.

"Recruitment consultant"

I worked at Oscar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In the heart of the city centre - close to the pubs, bars and restaurants.
    A largely young demographic working there.

Cons

Management actively encourages you to decieve clients to secure business in the short term but in the long run this means that you never establish a client portfolio - no one will trust you after working with you once. Someone quits or gets fired every couple of weeks so there is an extremely high turn over of staff. There less than 10% of the consultants were women and there were no women in management.

Oscar Response

Mar 17, 2014 – Director

Whilst feedback from ex-employees is appreciated, this review is off the mark factually in a number of areas:

Oscar staff are categorically never encouraged to deceive clients in any way; in fact... More

5. "Excellent Training"

I worked at Oscar full-time

Pros

If you're new to recruitment, the training at Oscar is excellent.

Cons

Long Hours, but if you don't mind that, you will do well.

6. "Hard work, dedication and success"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

I have been working at Oscar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great support and training from the get go.

- Structured plan to get you to become a consultant working with both a training manager and directors, through practical and theoretical sessions.

- Continuous improvement with consultants all the way up to managerial level to make sure you are at the top of your game.

- Great commission structure. The tiered system of how it works really goes to show that the more you put in the more you get out, and the fact it's uncapped means you can make a lot of money in a short period of time.

- Very strong culture. Surrounded by a team which is supportive and fun to work around. Also there is no feeling of control, your directors get just as involved in the social aspect as your colleagues, trust me there is no better example of this than Andy donning the "Fresh Prince style shorts" of a consultant with poor fashion taste.

- They listen to people. Since i have joined Oscar they have become more and more reactive to they way employees feel. This means activiely engaging consultants to ask how they can change the business for the better and working towards better benefits packages, more company days out, more incentives to help people achieve further and new locations for offices to allow people to progress there careers in new ventures.

Cons

- Working hours can be long. But it's recruitment, it's not a 9-5 job, don't come into this industry expecting your work to be done for you; if you put in the effort you reap the rewards.

Advice to Management

- Keep doing what you are doing and keep evolving as you are. With the guidance you give and decisions you make as long as you listen to the consultants your business will continue with the evolve in the right way as it has in my time.

7. "Believe the hype. This is a special place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Oscar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Excellent training and support infrastructure.
    - Unrivalled career development and progression opportunities.
    - Great working atmosphere with the right balance between 'having a laugh' and 'cracking on' with the work.
    - Brilliant group of people. Everyone from the Senior Management team down to new trainees joining the business is approachable and really easy to get along with. We don't have managers or directors who sit in ivory towers here. Everybody is integrated and sat with eachother on the same desks on the shop floor and the directors especially like to go the extra mile to offer advice and help you out with your business.
    - As soon as the hard work is done when you start out as a trainee, the work life balance for the most part tends to be really good. We have 4pm finishes on a Friday, incentives for holidays, early finishes, flexitime, duvet days, etc. The Directors tend to do all that they can to ensure that we enjoy our lives both inside and outside of work.
    - Great commission structure that can see you start earning good money very quickly as long as you apply yourself.

Cons

Every day has its ups and downs in recruitment but I don't think this place has many cons at all, none that I'm aware of anyway. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time here over the past 3 years or so and here's to many more!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing as there are plenty of people achieving things here that are out of kilter with the rest of the recruitment market.

8. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Oscar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I spent 3 years working at Oscar across different teams and couldn't say a bad word about my time there.
    I was given first class training, able to work on a daily basis with one of the best managers I've ever worked for and was part of a fantastic team!
    I've been able to go abroad with Oscar and made some friends for life.
    If you're looking to work for a company where the senior management team genuinely care about your day to day work and how they can assist, I'd have no hesitations about working here.

Cons

The Director is a Bolton fan.

Advice to Management

Keep up what your doing!

9. "Oscar"

I worked at Oscar full-time

Pros

Oscar provides great training and a lot of tools you need in order to get things done.

Supportive and hands on management.

Regular social events

Supportive with your external commitments including sports

Modern office

Great staff.

Cons

Can be a high pressure environment, but that is expected in any recruitment role.

Oscar Response

May 16, 2017 – Group Director

Hi there. Thank you for taking the time to review Oscar. We're delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and your feedback helps us to improve our workplace even further.

We wish you the very... More

"brilliant training, supportive and challenging environment"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Oscar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The training is the best out there, delivered by directors who have 10 years plus experience.

Great team atmosphere with brilliant incentives.

Real opportunity to earn great money.

Quarterly socials

Daily treats in office from directors

Great people

Cons

All to be expected but...lots of pressure to win new business, it can be long hours and of course lots of rejection over the phone from clients.