Oshkosh Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Oshkosh Corporation President and Chief Executive Officer Wilson Jones
Wilson Jones

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The People first culture is starting to take roots which has endless possibilities as we move forward (in 38 reviews)

• Flexibility as it relates to work/life balance is strong (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge at times (in 11 reviews)

• Can work some long hours, work life balance could be a little better (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A rare, cool place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm not sure how many people outside of the Oshkosh family comprehend the scope and reach of this organization. We have offices and factories in dozens of countries, each focused on building a variety of difference-making equipment for customers all over the world. How many other jobs can you say your work helps save lives or push the boundaries of productivity and innovation? And because of the global nature of Oshkosh Corporation, team members have a very real opportunity to travel and even transplant to places most could only dream of.

Cons

Oshkosh Corporation is a very large Fortune 350 company and with that comes the expected stress, politics and upheaval. It can leave you feeling a little adrift at times, but many would consider this con to be an exciting challenge and the rewards to be worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! A vast majority of team members feel that this company is experience a renaissance at the moment, primarily because of CEO Wilson Jones and the People First culture he is trying to bring to this great company. It's never going to be easy, but you're definitely on the right path.

Sep 19, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you are feeling the impact of our People First culture. If you have any further feedback to share... More

2. "Oshkosh is Going Through a Beautiful Transformation"

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people transformation started about two years ago and has shown no signs of slowing down. Servant leadership, flexible working, a new corporate headquarters, cutting-edge technology implementations to make life at Oshkosh easier for team members are all examples of putting people first.

Cons

Getting buy-in from all Oshkosh companies for enterprise-wide work can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Continue to push People First and lead by example

3. "An Old Company Re-Invented"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a 100+ year old company that is re-inventing itself in a great way. Under the leadership of W Jones, this is not the "truck" of old in terms of how people are valued and treated. Caring for the people means caring for the business, and the outlook is positive. Great people, great products.

Cons

Still some corp functions that display a bit of arrogance; some info systems needs updating

Advice to Management

Stay the course on the people first journey. It's a breath of fresh air for the team members and the community. Be brave enough to remove those leaders who don't share the people first vision. Ensure the corp functions try to support the business segments instead of making more work for them.

"Day to Day is OK - but Political"

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generally family friendly, nice people, good customers, great mission. People work so, SO hard to make things right, despite all that management puts in their way. As the largest employer in the Fox Valley, it certainly stands above other large companies in the area in terms of pay, benefits, and management who are asked to listen.

Cons

After a certain level, it no longer matters how good you are, how much business acumen you have - all that matters is your political abilities, your schmoozing, and your ability to get along in "the boys' club." There's a lot of talk about "People First", which is somewhat working at the lower levels, but once you're in middle management or above, you'd better be a white man with no family life to advance.

Advice to Management

Walk the Walk. Diversity brings profits, but you have to seek it out and be pro-active in encouraging it. The "Wisconsin-only" mindset is hella lame.

Jan 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

We pride ourselves as being one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies and a People First organization and take these types of comments seriously. If you would... More

"Not as great as you might think"

Current Employee - Production Worker
    Current Employee - Production Worker

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, overtime available. Wages move up quickly. Typically safe work environment. Union membership helps to ensure fair treatment and accountability. Having fair number of former military workers is a plus.

Cons

The recent switch to an HSA insurance plan is not a plus. If you have a family, or have health issues, you are going to throw down alot of cash. There also tends to be some fairly toxic employees in this company. Anywhere else they'd be fired, but here they seem to thrive. Extremely cliquey. If you don't like working mandatory overtime, vetting up at 3 or 4 am stay away.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers, we are smarter than you think. Communicate effectively. Lead from the front.

Jan 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We value our team member’s opinions and would love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at... More

6. "My opinion"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get to work with some amazing people and it was a good experience as my first job.

Cons

There were not enough hours and the work was very tedious. It was something I do not see a future in and I want to pursue a career in which will help me grow as an individual with the experiences I gain.

Advice to Management

More professionalism with the things they said about other current or former employees .

7. "Quality"

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time

Pros

Good compensation, advancement opportunities, Good people

Cons

Level of transparency at times could be improved

"A different perspective"

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time

Pros

The products produced are world class

Cons

You will hear lots of interesting concepts that sound great and will motivate you at first but if you have an opportunity to work with the corporate governance you will see the dysfunction and double standards.

"Everyone matters" is a great concept that the CEO parades. Just like the circus, the parade and excitement comes to a grinding haunt to a stark reality.

The HR department has been a revolving door? You can't keep up with all the turn over. It starts with the CHRO position; how many has it been over the past 5 years? You hire externally for these positions and what do you get? Why aren't you promoting within with a known quantity? You have the talent. How many good people have left because of your internal promoting practices? How many Presidents has Defense seen? Seems like the judgement and ability to recognize talent and potential isn't the organizations strongest quality.

People have been terminated with more than a decade of consecutive "exceeds expectations" rating year after year without one single negative or corrective action from the boss. This is grossly unjust. If people are put first how can you term employees in such a fission? Simply wrong.

Dysfunction on tops of dysfunction and honestly the board of directors are responsible. This is a typical good old boys and girls club. Nominate and elect Directors that will not hold the ultimate people accountable as long as numbers are made. People first, not from my perspective. Just a bunch of words from a very talented guy who knows how to get people rallying behind him. How long that last is questionable. The previous CEO had a mission statement; customers first. Now you hear people first. No Sir, when it’s politically correct or convenient then sure I agree.

Your core values are great. I live and breathe them every day always striving for continuous improvement and doing what's right. It's time you start doing the same and correcting your actions

The company will teach life lessons about people and their character.

They have great core values like doing the right thing and being ethical. Unfortunately, these two concepts aren't always applied in every situation.

Advice to Management

Time to clean the swamp

Jan 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

"Ethical company with good intentions and not much accountability."

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced and many employees want to make a difference.

Cons

Long hours especially for the production crew ; at the director level management doesn't have a clue what some of their reports do; company is better at communicating than executing strategies; poor promotion structure

Advice to Management

Allow managers and directors to reward top performers instead of giving everyone the same raise. You may see a drop in high attrition rates. Change that cannot be sustained by people that care is a waste of time.

Jan 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

10. "Just getting better and better.....!"

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People First Culture, Team Environment, A CEO who cares, Flexibility

Cons

certain training, although improvements are happening

Advice to Management

Hard to say, it's different in different segments. Allow your people to grow and seek out new opportunities.

Nov 20, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We value team member input and are happy to hear you're seeing improvements. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at... More