Oshkosh Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 8, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Oshkosh Corporation President and Chief Executive Officer Wilson Jones
Wilson Jones

Pros
  • Good pay for engineering interns, variety of work, fun atmosphere (in 13 reviews)

• Great people to work with at a company that really makes a difference in many lives (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance lacking at times (in 10 reviews)

• Can work some long hours, work life balance could be a little better (in 6 reviews)

1. "OK, Communication between everyone needs to b e much better."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oshkosh, WI

Pros

Good hours, Decent Pay, goodfeeling of helping our men and women here and overseas.

Cons

Horrible communication between everyone. No respect for personal issues. had to distunguish between home and work life.

Advice to Management

Communicaion needs to be better, I don't understand why everything has to be a secret.

"All in all I am happy to have a good job. !!"

Current Employee - Hourly in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Hourly in Oshkosh, WI

Pros

I am proud of the trucks we make, and who we make them for. It's nice to know we make something worth while. The benifit package is good. I am happy with my co- workers we really have a good repore. All in all I can say I am so proud to work for a company that provides a living.

Cons

Not known for thier compassion, or ability to treat employees in a fair manor. I really wish they were more family freindly.

Advice to Management

Please listen to us. We want to help make a difference. Treat us as individuals, we are all Not the same.

3. "Review Of Oshkosh Truck"

Former Employee - Senior Defense Financial Compliance Analyst in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Defense Financial Compliance Analyst in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company builds trucks for the military that saves lives. In addition Oshkosh builds fire trucks and snow plows. All of the trucks are the best.

Cons

The company does not have current state of the art business systems. Their accounting, billing, estimating and purchasing systems are weak.

Advice to Management

Purchase an ERP system such as Oracle or SAP.

5. "I met a lot of good people there, but due to their contract with my staffing agency no chance for a permenant job ."

Former Employee - Janitor in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Janitor in Appleton, WI

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Simply put it was the co-workers , good people & hard workers.

Cons

Product, both incoming and outgoing was priority one, workers were replaceable , on a daily basis if required.

Advice to Management

Give the people working for you the feeling that they mean as much to the company as the products they move, load, and unload . Keeping 98% of the core work force on a permenant yet temporary status fails to foster personal pride in the jobs being performed or to the company they are working for. Lack of health care and benefits due to non permenant employment is also very negative among the work force.

6. "Great company but work life balance isn't the best"

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with great strong values. The CEO is very good for the company and trustworthy.

Cons

Work life balance is impossible, you will be required to work 60 hours weeks and weekends during busy months without notice.

"General assembly"

Pros

Pay and insurance are good. Hours are normal.

Cons

Bad management decisions. Each employee is "just a number".

Advice to Management

Utilize and listen to mire talented employees.

"Mixed reviews"

Current Employee - 201 Assembler in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - 201 Assembler in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for the area as a blue collar worker. Fairly clean environment. Great pride in building Awesome trucks for our military men and women!

Cons

Employees treated poorly on a daily basis. Safety was not a priority unless brought to the attention at a higher level of management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and follow suit to their issues. Clear to see that the major problems were never heard by the higher Brass until the employees said something at the quarterly meetings. Then the issues were miraculously resolved within 15 minutes!

"It was a very enjoyable experience."

Former Employee - Material Coordinator
    Former Employee - Material Coordinator

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people were very friendly and the compensation and benefits were outstanding. The working conditions were above average, the facilities were clean and heated in the winter.

Cons

Employment availability was totally dependent upon the US Government. They would award the company contracts and then cancel them, leaving you without a job. There was no open door policy there, you had no way to speak to upper management, and at times lower management could be very unfair about things. They would sign an employment contract and then brake every condition of the contract possible. Would take years to resolve grievances.

Advice to Management

Spend more time paying attention to what is actually happening on the floors of your company. You need to make a greater effort to get along with the workforce.

"Time to get out"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When the going is good things are great.This is a company that has so much potential to grow and develop its units. Still hiring people - so many corporate opportunities.
    Have great social life with co-workers but there tends to be a very loose policy especially drinking.
    Opportunities ( in the past) have been fantastic for rapid promotion.

Cons

Working conditions - verbally not good ??? To much abuse down the chain. I have personally seen the transition into the business of new divisions only to be talked down and squashed by corporate administrators here in WI. We were ONE Oshkosh - remember!
    Leadership is weak. Senior executives get away with a lot and are not punished while mid levels are crucified at every turn. This company is underachieving and hurting its own assets.

Advice to Management

Grow some! Get on top of your senior management who talk smack and act like bullies. If the Exec turns up to a meeting hung over - kick their butt !!
    I think I have put it out there well. You have quality people working for you but some senior executives are more concerned with smear campaigns than getting on with the job.
    Oh and CEO - Take a weekend off!

"Long-term advancement potential if you're an "Oshkosh person", otherwise quick turnover"

Pros

The compensation is reasonable, most co-workers are pleasant, my direct managers were competent people-managers, and I learned a great deal from my involvement with the company.

Cons

Oshkosh's corporate structure is bureaucratic, rigid and paternalistic; essentially an "old boys club". Perhaps this mirrors the customer's expectations, but it makes change difficult to implement and creates a situation where only people with similar backgrounds and mindsets get promoted. If you're not an "Oshkosh person", you have limited potential at the company regardless of your capabilities and qualifications. Furthermore, the company's heavy use of contract workers creates a morale issue, as a large number of employees do not feel as though they are true Oshkosh employees.

Advice to Management

Look at the long term more with regards to talent identification and development, as well as corporate strategy. Be more proactive about identifying "bugs"; don't let them fester and then try to use a sledgehammer to take care of the problem.