Osram Sylvania Reviews in Versailles, KY | Glassdoor

4.2
Jes Munk Hansen
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Interesting technology, good people, potential (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits, global organization (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • High demand on time and work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Old Boys Club" and favoritism runs rampant (in 4 reviews)

1. "Engineering Co-Op"

Current Employee - Process Engineering Co-Op in Versailles, KY
    Current Employee - Process Engineering Co-Op in Versailles, KY

I have been working at Osram Sylvania (Less than a year)

Pros

Job related skills training, continuing knowledge of manufacturing process

Cons

Distance from my current residence

2. "Staying Alive dispite the decline of sales and being "Harvested" and "Carved Out" for the auction block."

Current Employee - Engineering in Versailles, KY
    Current Employee - Engineering in Versailles, KY

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging projects, always on your toes. Plenty to do and more to learn. Pay is above average for the area. There is a real effort in keeping the facility in good shape and showing that we can still have manufacturing in the US of A. Employee involvement in improvements, safety is a priority and participation is mandatory. A good place to be employed and hopefully finish my career.

Cons

We are a declining industry with little to no product development. Lots of changes happening which is where I shine but difficult for the old guard. We are in full survival mode, the fat is being trimmed, budgets cut, lines closing and competing against our sister plants.

Advice to Management

Local management, stay on course and keep us competitive. Expand and take advantage of opportunities that are good for our facility and our workforce. Keep us flexible and on our toes for the next change in the lighting industry and make us the best option for manufacturing. National management, I have very important information that will grow your business tremendously before carving us ou.............

3. "No regard for families."

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Versailles, KY
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Versailles, KY

I worked at Osram Sylvania full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the fluorescent Lamp plant in Versailles, KY. The town and geography are fabulous, which was a component of why I decided to take the job.

Cons

The culture is one of fear and pressure. Layoff after layoff has resulted in only older employees with no reason to work hard remaining.

There is no future at this location, ESPECIALLY for engineers. Not only is the product technologically obsolete, but they have no idea how to hire, train, or treat their engineers. Stay away.

Advice to Management

Learn how to weed out bad employees, even the ones who have "been there forever". The answer for "Why do you do it that way?" should never be "Because we've always done it that way."

I hope a growing company buys this place soon.

"Sinking ship"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Versailles, KY
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Versailles, KY

I worked at Osram Sylvania full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people, friendly, good technologies to work with, evolving technologies make it more interesting.

Cons

European company bought Sylvania and is trying to run it their way, while US is attempting to run it their way. Cultural differences are a problem. Salaries are low. No real job descriptions. Some Managers have job security issues and take it out on subordinates. The end of incandescent and halogen bulbs is not helping the industry. It had the potential for making the new LEDs in the US and gave it up in favor of buying crap from China. They are their worse competitor. If R&D comes out with a product, Sales gets Marketing to find a Chinese made product of the same kind to compete with what they are manufacturing-only they call it having a range of products. You can have a career there if you have the right manager, and are aligned with the right project of the month; you better be ready to travel anywhere they send you- no matter how dangerous the location.

Advice to Management

Give it up. Management at the upper level has gotten worse these days creating chaos with all the arbitrary changes, and all the opposing and external influences. It sometimes appears as if the CEO Jess is not in charge, otherwise he wouldn't have allowed some things to have happened, particularly with LEDs. There are few company values left, just survival.

5. "How to make money at the expense of your employees."

Current Employee - Associate in Versailles, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Versailles, KY

I have been working at Osram Sylvania full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers are knowledgable and care about each other. Higher than normal pay for the area.

Cons

Healthcare cost are higher offsetting the pay. Unrealistic expectations of work force. Upper management find it easier to cut the work force's benefits than to find savings in areas that need to be cut. (IE, outrageous salaries of executives and those who've sucked their way up)

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees fairly and listen. Promote from within.