Ossur Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Customer Service Review"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Ossur full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for Össur for one year and I loved being apart of their corporate office (Foothill Ranch location). Everyone is really nice and easy to get along with. The facility is nice and well kept. It's obvious that the company truely cares about their employees and provides lots of benefits. For example, there is always free food or snacks; there is a free yoga class Tues./Thrs. in the lunch room after work; there are always employees playing pingpong; etc etc. I also felt that the compensation, in my department, was very fair. This is probably one of the best Customer Service departments to be apart of.

Cons

I didn't have any cons to working at Össur but I am required to use 20 words minimum:

Sometimes patients accidently call the Customer Service line. And patients require patience.

2. "Clueless company"

Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Lake Forest, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at Ossur (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, competitive benefits, company makes products that make you feel like you are actually working for a decent company

Cons

They hire & figure out if you are right for the job later. A lot of turn around, they promote unqualified people & terminate those who are too good. Desks offer no privacy. You have to go to a phone closet to make calls.

"Area Manager"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Ossur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, transparent, motivating, culture, management

Cons

Benefits, Travel, Salary, Bonus, Expenses

4. "A great place at one time, now a sad working environment"

Current Employee - Shipping Clerk II in Mantua, NJ
    Current Employee - Shipping Clerk II in Mantua, NJ

Pros

I loved working hand in hand with great people and helping customers was also a great fulfilling mission I enjoyed.

Cons

They take the best workers break them down with no incentive to move forward, you can work hard or not and still get the same raises. You have to basiclly be best friends with the boss to get a raise or title change. They don't care for their employee's and treat them like trash. Put people who have been writen up for racists comments in Lead rolls, keeps people who make bigoted comments and lets problems linger until something bad happens. If you dont work in the office area you are treated like crap. Don't work here if you have other options. I thought i loved to work here but They broke me down. I am out of here ASAP

Advice to Management

Listen and help the people on the lower end and not just on the upperside. Have conversations with the people and stop ONLY looking at your bottom line. We all work hard to see the horrible raises you give us.

5. "Good"

Former Employee - Market Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Market Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ossur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enough innovation ; Enough innovation ; Good interaction with different cross functional teams and disciplins.

Cons

Limited scope growth : This is too much, why I need to write 20 words cons? I don't have ny more.

Advice to Management

Respectful to innovator

"Loved this place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Ossur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I took a pay cut and the Ossur position along with a 2.5 hours commute each way away and gladly put up with it for 2 years, because I truly l loved what these people do - help people who are amputees, have chronic pain, wounds, and other post surgery pain. I contributed tremendously, saved the company millions of dollars, helped every facet of the company on several continents, and learned a great deal too. I felt I was making a difference. I loved working with the people in Iceland - engineers and managers.

Cons

No matter what you contribute or do - even save millions of dollars, teach people, add to IP,learn Icelandic - there seems to be an unavoidable purge of people that comes in waves every two years. 35 people were let go with no warning on a Thursday along with me, including the president and a VP. 15 more later on. This company could be fantastic, but they kill the momentum every two years and kill morale as well as reinvent the wheel every time a new group starts. Working for Ossur is not a career choice - it's a job for now, as constant restructuring and layoffs creates an insecure career choice and lack of forward progress. Very glad I did not move to Orange County - two months before the lay off.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your greatest asset. There is so much knowledge lost in these purges it's difficult to go forward. Very self defeating - saving a couple dollars or pennies in the short run, but much effort is wasted. I saw first hand digging through files, boxes and the desks of my predecessors. We would move mountains for you and the clients we serve. Working with the entity in France is a tail wagging an Icelandic dog. Unbelievably stubborn people at the French facility are stuck in a time warp technologically and even when handed world class new technology on a silver platter, choose to stay in 1983. Frustrating. I agree with the previous poster about middle management doing the most harm to the company - per my experience as well. I put that on record in the exit interview - please review it.

"The experience was great in the beginning and has gone south in a hurry"

Former Employee - Sales in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Ossur full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The one and only reason is LIFE WITHOUT LIMITATIONS. People loose or have no limbs and we put them back together.

Cons

The mid management is what is driving the company morale down and the reason great employees are no longer there.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the horrible middle management and so called directors and the company once again be a great place to work.
    People used to love this place and no one can say that anymore.

8. "...."

Current Employee - N/A in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Ossur part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good and professional interview with HR

Cons

No cons, recommend this company

9. "No chance for Advancement unless you an Icelandic or are in Marketing or Sales"

Former Employee - Engineer in Foothill Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Ossur full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus structure is good where they are making money.

Cons

Lots of married people work here. Management acts like they are making a ton of money for a small company. And for such a small company they are top heavy. No chance for advancement. Watch 5 layoffs happen without notice. They only get rid of people who are outspoken. To much sucking up to get promoted. It's a travesty. Icelandic pay is way off the chart.

Advice to Management

If Iceland is unhappy with the way Americans run the business. Let them take it back to Iceland and see how that works out.

"Lack of professional growth opps and internal cultural conflict outweighs rewarding work on products that help people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foothill Ranch, CA

Pros

Ossur has a great vision of helping people lead a "Life without Limitations". Hard work is rewarded through the idea that the end result is helping others. Ossur is a global company with lots of opportunity to travel if your job requires, including Iceland which is a fantastic place to visit. Icelanders are great people and my comments below are limited only to my experience with management in a business environment.

Cons

There is a cultural disconnect between Icelandic management and the non-Icelandic workforce. For example, Ossur management preaches the value of launching new products and how much they spend on R&D, but they do not believe in awarding bonuses for the hard work of R&D design teams resulting in successful new orthopedic products b/c bonuses should not be necessary to motivate the workforce. However, Icelandic R&D managers DO receive bonuses. In addition, career advancement opportuntities are slim to none, and when a promotion is offered it usually means your old job responsibilites have been expanded to include those of someone who has left. Ossur is very good at spreading everyone as thin as possible which is commonly joked as another form of Ossur's "Frugality" value. Finally, R&D management appears to have a lack of trust and/or belief in the capabilities of the R&D workforce. This is evident through severe micro-management and lack of interest in the ideas and input that comes from the design teams. The approach is very top down.

Advice to Management

If you want to be the #1 orthopedic company in the world you should: 1) Don't take frugality so seriously - spend some money on people and for your people; 2) What worked for you in prosthetics won't necessarily work in orthopedics - listen to and trust the human capital you acquired when you entered the ortho market (if there's any left...) and 3) Don't impose your culture in a U.S./global business envirnment - learn to listen, adapt and sometimes compromise.