Otis R Bowen Center For Human Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The Bowen Center provides a flexible schedule for employees and competitive compensation (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible hours, benefits begin right away (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I would have preferred that I focused on one specific element in the mental health field (in 4 reviews)

• The emphasis on service hours is so great here that that is all anyone cares about (in 4 reviews)

1. "Bowen Center"

Current Employee - RSP in Columbia City, IN
    Current Employee - RSP in Columbia City, IN

I have been working at Otis R Bowen Center For Human Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great place to work if you like helping others. For the most part you create your own hours.

Cons

Pay is low. Productivity is required which is hard I'm this field due to cancellation by clients. Training is not that great. Most learning is just by figuring it out for yourself.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the coaches that talk negatively about Bowen as well as those that do not really offer services while working. Many are on their phones or visiting while they should be with their clients.

"Good Entry level job"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Warsaw, IN
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Warsaw, IN

I worked at Otis R Bowen Center For Human Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good entry level position. Had the opportunity to work on many exciting projects and new system roll outs. Worked with many very intelligent co-workers.

Cons

Typical business restructure. Bring in new VP and the new VP brings in his own crew therefore cutting several existing positions and pay for remaining employees. Total lack of transparency during the process. Otherwise I would have given 3 stars.

Advice to Management

If you're not satisfied in which IT is moving don't axe the staff on the bottom which have no say in policies and procedures, start from the top.

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Case Manager
    Former Employee - Case Manager

I worked at Otis R Bowen Center For Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule depending on where you work. They will tell you that you can have flexible hours when you come in at orientation, but in reality it's up to each specific location. So if you work at a location that doesn't allow it then you can't.
    It's basically a guaranteed job, they'll hire about anyone due to turnover being so high.

Cons

If you like making less money each year then this is the place for you! They don't give out cost of living raises (or any regular raises for that matter) so each year you literally earn less money.
    Also, if you miss the drama of high school, join the Image Committee!! Or join it if you want to spend 5 months deciding the color of one shirt. It's very clique-ish and the person in charge has obvious vendettas towards other executives. This is just a small example of the environment at the corporate office. There are some offices that have been able to avoid having such a toxic environment, but all that can change with the revolving door that is leadership.
    My advice I give to anyone coming to me regarding working at Bowen is always "let's see what else is out there. "
    People congratulate others who get to quit and go work somewhere else. It seemed strange to me when I first started working there, but I quickly realized why. They have a Retention Committee (do you see the trend? A committee for everything because no one wants to take responsibility for any decisions) but they are able to convince themselves that salary isn't a main reason why people leave a job. The new CEO is incredibly good at only hearing/believing what he would like.

Advice to Management

Really listen objectively to employees and don't twist it into what you would like to hear

4. "Management will exploit staff"

Former Employee - RSP in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - RSP in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Otis R Bowen Center For Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, benefits begin right away.

Cons

Bowen Center will slow down the progress of a client to keep them in the system in order to provide services for eternity. They will move clients who are making progress to another clinician in order to drag services out forever. It's a scam and they should be ashamed of themselves.

5. "RSP"

I worked at Otis R Bowen Center For Human Services full-time

Pros

Resources were easy to attain, Therapists were amazing.

Cons

Crazy work hours, On-call weeks

"Bowen"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Warsaw, IN
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Warsaw, IN

I have been working at Otis R Bowen Center For Human Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere among regular workers. Helping people is still a corporate value.

Cons

Becoming extremely money driven - getting almost too big and too policy driven.

"Was a good entry level job but they expect so much from their workers."

Former Employee - Rehabilitation Service Provider in Albion, IN
    Former Employee - Rehabilitation Service Provider in Albion, IN

I worked at Otis R Bowen Center For Human Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved my clients and seeing the changes they would make. Loved seeing the smile on clients faces when you were with them or you made their day just by talking to them and letting them talk to you about what was going on in their life. Loved building friendship with coworkers and brightening clients day.

Cons

Was a good entry level job when I first started several years ago but then began to go down hill. They expect so much from RSP's and when you don't hit your expected hours you get written up and as many times they want until you hit it. If you don't they cut your pay. You put a lot of miles on your vehicle and pay out for mileage does not always cover the gas you put in your car. Hours were long and sometimes had to work Saturday's to cover visits.

8. "The optimistic review"

Pros

Some managers are great
    They are improving the onboarding training
    Definitely working to improve themselves

Cons

The last few years have been lacking in development, but they are genuinely trying to reconcile this

Advice to Management

Treat your employee the way you would treat your clients, with respect, integrity, and transparency.

"Rehabilitation Services Provider"

Current Employee - Rehabilitation Services Proviser
    Current Employee - Rehabilitation Services Proviser

I have been working at Otis R Bowen Center For Human Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits that attempt to make up for the lack of quality leadership in the company.

Cons

-management treats RSPs poorly.
    -In interviews say they are flexible, but are not.
    -Corporate Staff do not care how RSPs are treated
    -Management will Write up for no reason.
    -Management will not support staff

Advice to Management

-Remember how they wanted to be treated when they were in an RSP position.
    -Don't insult your staff.
    -Don't schedule so many team building events, your staff wants to have a life outside of work that does not involve Bowen Center management.

10. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Otis R Bowen Center For Human Services full-time

Pros

I have been working at Bowen Center for a little over two years. I enjoy working with my co-workers and feel supported by my manager. I feel as if the company as a whole has been making great strides in growth. Sometimes it feels as if the company is growing a little too fast. Your first year of employment you will receive three weeks of vacation and 10 paid holidays. Overall benefits are decent. They give the option to choose from a High Deductible plans or a traditional the vision insurance is including in the medical so it is technically free. You also have the option to get dental insurance. There are a lot of great benefits that most employees do not take advantage of.

Cons

Things are sometimes done before being thought completely through. It is more of an act now think later mentality.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with new hires, they are the ones that need most of your time. Do not micromanage your employees. If you give them the knowledge they will use it correctly.