Otsuka Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Kabir Nath

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits (very competitive 401k) and great people" (in 11 reviews)

• "Very talented and professional team work environment" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is absolutely no chance to have a work-life balance" (in 8 reviews)

• "New management emerged from "behind the curtain" after the layoffs and some senior management left or was let go" (in 6 reviews)

"Medical Science Liaison"

Current Employee - Medical Science Liaison in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Medical Science Liaison in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Otsuka full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Superb culture, great colleagues, abundant resources, management wants you wo succeed.

Cons

Have not encountered any yet.

2. "Solid Company, some challenges"

Current Employee - Director in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Otsuka full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cultural tenets - if you like working on projects that you come up with, Otsuka will let you run with it. They support you're ideas in a way that no other company does.

Cons

Your experience depends on the team - there are teams that are highly dysfunctional and fail to collaborate effectively. These teams consider themselves high performing teams. Others work incredibly effectively and produce great things. I've been on both types. Leadership fails to address the former in an effective manner.

Advice to Management

Address the dysfunction on certain teams because it chases away key talent who otherwise loves the company.

3. "Former employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Otsuka full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative company with a great mission, smart employees, and a decent pipeline.

Cons

Senior leadership has no accountability to its employees, they don’t treat them fairly and fear bringing in younger talent. They have a huge generation gap which is due to lack of programs to support and develop millennials.

This company also pays lower than average for the industry and companies such as j&j and bms snatch up the good talent.

Advice to Management

Senior management in finance is ruining this companies reputation. Before the new cfo came and brought his friends the administration was respected. Now employees walk around talking to each other about how leadership doesn’t value them. They push out good employees just to hire their friends from other companies with little to no experience in the industry.

4. "Marketing Diector"

I have been working at Otsuka full-time

Pros

It is Good size small to medium. Currently it not process oriented, and more content oriented. Overall good culture

Cons

They do not invest enough on resources. They can do somewhat better with their recruiting as talent pool is not so great.

Advice to Management

be more present as you are not well connected with your employees givenn the size of the company. You have to understand that Otsuka is a global company so you have to have some decent global group

"Specialty Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Otsuka full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great retirement, fantastic co-workers and a great CNS pipeline.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive and the company does not shut down during the holidays like other pharmaceutical companies other than that is a good company to work for.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"National Sales Director"

Former Employee - National Sales Director in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - National Sales Director in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Otsuka (More than a year)

Pros

Innovation and creativity. May attract talent but management insecurity leads to intense backstabbing.

Cons

Cold, sterile work environment. You're either in or your out, and when you're out, you have no access to senior management.

"Readynow Program"

I have been working at Otsuka full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The readynow program is a unique and industry leading program that provides unparalleled training for new industry sales professional to develop them into high performing reps quickly. The company puts a significant investment into this program including but not limited to public speaking coaching, managed markets training, as well as disease state training.

Some other reviews on here have had a negative outlook management and I would like to be utterly clear. The management of this team is fantastic. They absolutely do not force an undesirable permanent position on you. Management works with you to find a position that both the employee and the company are happy with.

Cons

You could travel a lot in the program, however, the company is abundantly clear about this expectation up front.

Advice to Management

Continue to challenge convential thinking in our pursuit of better health outcomes worldwide.

"ReadyNow Account Manager"

Current Employee - ReadyNow Account Manager

I have been working at Otsuka (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity of a lifetime, get into an industry that is very competitive to get into otherwise, sell a great product, great opportunities all over the country. This program is what you make of it, if you work hard and perform well, you can get the job you want. If you do not work hard and take the advice of people around you, it will be difficult to land the position you want.

Cons

Hard work, ambiguity, some managers are very difficult to work for.

Advice to Management

try to be understanding that ReadyNow reps are new to the industry and help, rather that scrutinize them, when they make mistakes.

"Nueroscience Account Manager - Sales Development Program (READYNOW)"

Current Employee - Neuroscience Account Manager
    Current Employee - Neuroscience Account Manager

I have been working at Otsuka full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The READYNOW program gives professionals who may not have a healthcare background the opportunity to break into the industry and start a new career in a specialty field. I am grateful for this program and the opportunities and experience that I have had.

Otsuka embraces change and is always open to new ideas, this program brings a fresh prospective to the field. READYNOW provides employees with extensive training which has helped me grow both personally and professionally. The support does not stop with the program either. I also receive positive feedback, constructive criticism and mentorship from my tenured peers and district manager.

The company is invested in this success of this program. I have received positive feedback, guidance and mentorship from my peers, tenured account managers, district managers, HR department and regional director. I truly feel lucky to work for such a great company with a wonderful support system that is helping me succeed.

There is a clear path for growth and opportunities to work cross functionally throughout the company. Otsuka is patient focused, I love going to work everyday knowing that our products make a world of difference to improve others lives.

Cons

100% travel (if you aren't a fan of traveling)
    ambiguity (if you don't like dealing with change and fear the unknown)

These are both pro's of the program as well.

Advice to Management

The ReadyNow program is continuously evolving, I think that upper management is doing a great job of implementing feedback provided.

"Common Small Family Own Business"

I worked at Otsuka full-time

Pros

Fair compensation and benefits

Cons

No career plan career, incentives, no training, too much family decision making, excessive micro management