Otsuka Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Kabir Nath

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits (very competitive 401k) and great people (in 8 reviews)

• Freedom to make your mark, take on as much responsibility as you want, and are given the tools to do so, unlike many big pharma companies (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is very, very bad (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management decisions and opinions are not always transparent (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Full of growth and opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Promotional Program Specialist in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Promotional Program Specialist in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Otsuka full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Otsuka, there is a large emphasis on promoting and supporting a work/life balance. We are encouraged to take time off when needed with a generous amount of time off per year. There are many opportunities for growth and cross-functional collaboration. All are encouraged to professionally develop through amazing tuition reimbursement program and attending conferences related to your role. If there is a desire to do something different, learn about something new and rise in the organization you will get the support to do it here.

Cons

There are many opportunities to collaborate cross departmentally, but you have to ensure you stay focused on your core responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the emphasis on culture and promoting from within!

2. "Good Benefits"

I have been working at Otsuka full-time

Pros

great benefits and vacation time

Cons

company doesn't have a large pipeline for growth and has been downsizing

"They talk the talk but stumble when trying to walk the walk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Otsuka full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Office is pretty nice
    - Work/life balance is mostly good
    - There are a few dynamic leaders who are really making things happen. Get with one of them and you'll be fine - as long as they stay.

Cons

- Touts "innovation" but most (not all) parts of the organization are too conservative to actually do real innovation.
    - Parts of the organization are very "cliquey" and if you're not one of that senior leader's group of insiders you can pretty much forget getting very far.
    - Culture of company is bizarre and driven by Japanese HQ, less so since previous CEO passed away on a business trip at a young age but still rather bizarre. Head of HR personally told me it takes two years to really understand the company.
    - Pipeline of new products is suspect even though senior leadership constantly talks about how "robust" it is.
    - Company is struggling to regain its groove since Abilify patent expiration. Budgets have been slashed, first layoffs in company history in 2016. 2017 is expected to be the "trough" year before things move back into growth but that depends on the pipeline, mentioned above.
    - HR is pretty clueless and reactive for the most part.

Advice to Management

I hear new management is doing some of things needed to turn things around so my advice is "don't hold back."

"stressful work environment"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Otsuka full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there are really none to speak of. Salary is OK, benefits average. Lot's of vacation days, but don't expect to be able to actually use them.

Cons

Senior leadership has no vision, claim to be innovators, but are really following the pack.
    Work life balance is very, very bad.
    It is not how you perform it is who you kiss up to.
    HR department is a disaster.
    It seems just about everyone has a directory title, but no direct reports or department.
    IT department has been a mess since last CIO left the company.
    The company depends on contractors and in some cases they get better treatment and opportunities then the direct hires.
    Very high turnover rate, causes heavy workload on those who are staying.

Advice to Management

Learn to listen and don't just talk the talk. People are trying to speak out and let you know how bad it is, but you refuse to listen. You are all great at putting buzz words out there, but they have no meaning or actions behind. You want to be an innovator, start by looking at your own in-house talent before they all leave. Every answer should not from a high priced consultant.

5. "Finally making the right changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Otsuka full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After a few years of stagnation, Otsuka has committed to making positive changes, starting with leadership. A new CEO and head of sales will go a long way toward fulfilling Otsuka's lofty aspirations.

Cons

Improvements, even obvious ones, take a while to occur. There is a strong affinity for "what we have always done", which makes little sense given the pace of change in the portfolio and revenue streams.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to act decisively!

6. "Employee Review"

I have been working at Otsuka full-time

Pros

Otsuka has it's patients at heart. They really do it the correct way with requesting parity with all other similar products on formularies, expressing the idea that it should be up to the patient and provider on which medication is right for that patient.

Cons

Otsuka is too conservative in many business decisions. This allows our competitors a leg up in the market place.

Advice to Management

Trust you employees and you direct report's matrix teams. We know what we are doing in the field and creating roadblocks does not help us or the company.

7. "CNS District Manager"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Otsuka full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Otsuka is a company that listens to its employees in order to become an even stronger company. Employees that work here feel they not only have a voice but a voice that is listened to in order to make their job experience more enjoyable. In addition, the company takes employee development very seriously and is always expanding on ways that employees can continue to develop in their career.

Cons

Otsuka is high on technology and their systems don't always work as flawlessly as you would hope. But what I appreciate about the leadership at Otsuka is that they will address. If a system implementation does not yield the desired results they will try something else rather than continuing to force a flawed system just because money was spent on it. In my experience that is unique in the Pharma industry. Otsuka will work to improve in any areas that need to be improved upon.

Advice to Management

Otsuka continues to grow and with growth comes change. Change can be good but sometimes in Pharma it can lead to becoming 'Big Pharma'. What has attracted so many people to Otsuka is that it strives to do things differently from 'Big Pharm' and to continue to listen to its employees on how to continue to make Otsuka better. Don't ever lose that 'edge'. That is what make Otsuka special.

"Knowledgeable People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Pros

I worked with very knowledgeable colleagues in a service department that supported the rest of the company. My coworkers were very enthusiastic and developed a great reputation for my group throughout the organization.

Cons

Obviously, it could sometimes be difficult to establish close connections and productive relationships with colleagues who worked in other locations or countries.

Advice to Management

With the proliferation of mergers and acquisitions in the pharmaceutical industry, work more on building the company instead of buying other companies to improve the product pipeline.

9. "Otsuka - A Place of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Manager CNS Marketing in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager CNS Marketing in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Otsuka full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

positive attitude among colleagues
    colleagues are friendly and helpful
    employees are respected regardless of position or title
    everyone has a voice

Cons

management doesn't recognize workload so what is expected is unrealistic
    movement from one position/department to another can take forever through HR process.

Advice to Management

Allow people to take PTO and step away from email, etc.
    Once per quarter have a "building-wide social" on the lawn/in cafeteria with the band that plays in the gazebo, etc.

"Unique Pharma Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Otsuka full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits (very competitive 401k) and great people. My coworkers knew when it was time to buckle down for business, but could also joke around with one another during down time.

Cons

Kind of a "scrambled" culture at Otsuka. It seems like many employees have fingers across different areas, even outside of their department. Organizational structure can change quickly and then fix problems afterwards, instead of planning an organizational shift out-right.

Advice to Management

Executive Management seems distant to me, and sometimes overwhelmed. Higher Management does a good job of disseminating information to their subordinates for the most part, but follow up is sometimes slow.