OtterBase Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Chicago, IL

4.5
William Bennett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture for someone young, inexperienced, and right out of college (in 8 reviews)

• They call to check on me and see how things are going, great team to work with (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If you want work/life balance, this is not the place (in 3 reviews)

• It can be a hard work-life balance because most people in this business don (in 3 reviews)

1. "A Place to Call Home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OtterBase full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Flexibility in your day, your strategy and career progression depending on what's important to you.
    - Teammates that actually care about your success. You won't find a cut throat staffing environment here.
    - Executive team that is open to new ideas, suggestions and change when needed.

Cons

- Staffing, in general, is always going to have a rollercoaster element no matter what company you are working with.

Advice to Management

- Continue to listen to the employees about changes they would like to see and ideas that they are brining to the table.

2. "Good for entry level, poor for experienced"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at OtterBase full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For someone coming right out of college this a great company. Good culture, fun work environment, CRM exposure, sales cycle experience, telephone and email training. Alot of people have worked there for a long time- a clear indicator that they are happy. For me, coming in at a higher level I was confined to the talent around me.

Cons

Seemed to be a disconnect between regional offices and owners. I heard someone who had left before I got there, was the man for the job.
    If you don't buy into the cool-aid this company isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Nice job getting rid of poor leaders, keep up the good work taking care of the long term employees.

"Recommend"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OtterBase full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OtterBase is hands down the best IT staffing company in Chicago! OtterBase management really cares about their employees and is a very supportive. OtterBase offers a great career path and there is tons of room for growth. We specialize in the high end of the IT market and there is excellent collaboration between recruiting and sales.

Cons

It can be a hard work-life balance because most people in this business don’t understand that it requires hard work, but it pays off every time! Unlimited earning potential!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing and supporting your employees! The loyalty it instills in your employees is an amazing thing to experience.

"Working at OtterBase"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OtterBase (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's all about the people, both internally & externally! I love coming to work every day knowing I get to collaborate with industry experts who continue to support my professional development and career growth. The company and team culture keeps me pushing through the inevitable highs and lows of recruiting. It's not the cliche "work hard, play hard" mentality. It's more so - work hard, have fun while you are doing it, enjoy the individual success, and celebrate as a team! Every day may not be a great day, but it will always be good one with strong team support and motivational leadership.

Externally, we partner with incredible clients that share many of our core values. It's easy to recruit talent when you believe in the opportunity you are presenting! To this day, I still feel the joy and excitement when one of the candidates I have been working with accepts an offer with our client. It is so gratifying to have helped someone through a huge life decision and to see them so happy.

Additional Pros:
    - the launch of an industry-leading Compensation & Career Development program for 2017. (It may be long overdue, but we are ahead of our competition now!)
    - An employee lead committee that meets quarterly with the executive team to share the perspective of employees, recommend changes/improvements, and advise on policies.
    - mid-size team & company where everyone does know your name
    - regular team outings and events
    - opportunity for personal and professional development

Cons

The recruiting industry - it can be challenging, frustrating and disappointing. Make no mistake, agency recruiting is hard work! It takes a tenacious, ambitious, and determined person who can adapt to change, be extremely resourceful and shake things off to get through the valleys. That said, when you discover your recruiting rhythm - the payoff is pretty great.

Advice to Management

Continue to recognize employees for the time they invest our company - especially through change.

5. "Technical Recruiter"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OtterBase full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming company culture and endless professional development opportunities are provided. It is the most transparent company I have ever worked for and I appreciate the honesty. The management does its best to connect each offices and support each other as we all work in different patterns.

Cons

Competition shouldn't be all about fighting your co-workers. It should be all about challenging yourself and exceeding your limits.

Advice to Management

Continue communicating with employees.

6. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OtterBase full-time

Pros

Great culture and team environment, healthy competitiveness within offices and across company, awesome management, growth opportunities

Cons

Current comp plan takes a while to ramp up on, new plan to start in 2017 that should help!

"Family owned and family profits"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at OtterBase full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

young culture, good first place to learn how to be in an office setting

Cons

leadership completely disengaged with satellite offices, terrible pay, lousy client list in Chicago, no growth opportunity

Advice to Management

Need to improve promotions, training, personal growith