Out-U-Go! Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Job!"

Current Employee - Dog Walker in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Dog Walker in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Out-U-Go! part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to hang out with dogs all day! Overall a great company to work for!

Cons

It is a part time job, hours and days are not consistent. Sometimes you work all day and have to run out all the time for walks, especially those scheduled around dinner time.

Advice to Management

I love my management team, they are great! (Downers Grove location)

"IT'S A TRAP!"

I worked at Out-U-Go! part-time

Pros

This is a wonderful place if you truly love dogs and cats and don't care at all about pay. You meet some truly wonderful animals and some wonderful pet owners as well; I have made some lasting friendships with a handful of clients that I met on the job. So, if you really love hanging out with dogs and cats all day, and have your own disposable source of income, this is ideal for you. This would be the ONLY scenario in which I would suggest working here, because this is NOT a job that will pay you a decent working wage by any stretch of the imagination.

Cons

Where do I start...
    1. The PAY vs. what they charge clients. This is an absolute joke. You are paid on average $7 for a visit that the client is charged upwards of $20 for. You are not paid per hour, but rather per visit. You drive using your own vehicle to these visits and are not reimbursed for gas or distance traveled regardless of how far out of your way you go.
    2. House-sitting/ Overnight Stays- a client is charged $90 on a per-night basis for a sitter to stay at their home and care for their pet. The sitter themselves, (you know, the ones who do ALL the work during this stay) are paid a measly $35 per night. Please explain to me how this is fair for the employee who is the one actually caring for the animals when the company pockets $55 per night for, essentially, SCHEDULING the visit. Pathetic. Every client who found out about that pay structure were horrified when I told them. Thankfully the clients are usually so thunderstruck by this highway robbery that they will leave you a good tip. You know, for actually working.
    3. Taking employee safety into account- there is none of that. They will send you on visits with scared or improperly trained animals that will attempt to bite you without any warning of what you are walking into. They will brush off your requests not to be sent to visit certain animals and bend the the every whim of demanding pet owners, however damaging they may be to employee doing the visit.
    4. Scheduling- you won't know your schedule more than a day in advance, leaving no opportunity for scheduling second jobs or plans outside of work. They demand perfect performance in attendance, meaning that you must begin and end every visit within a time window and if you stray outside of that for any reason (even if the animal required extra care or there was a problem) not only are you not paid for this extra time, but you get REAMED for going over. All this to make a whopping $7. What a joke.
    5. AND FINALLY- the "report cards." These are mandatory slips that are left at the end of each visit updating the pet owner on how the visit went and generally what happened during the sitter's time there. It makes sense from every angle until they tell you that no matter what happens on a visit, be it good or bad, you must stay upbeat and positive and say only wonderful things. This includes if the animal was aggressive, or difficult to control, or had explosive diarrhea. You keep the pet owner completely in the dark and lie and say what a fantastic time you had. Supposedly the office staff will reach out to the owners with any real concerns that a sitter might have, but the proof of that was nonexistent, as most problems that I brought up were swept under the rug or never addressed at all.

Advice to Management

It's very simple- PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES WHAT THEY ARE WORTH FOR THE AMOUNT OF WORK THEY ARE DOING FOR YOU. This isn't rocket science, I understand, but when you promise new, hopeful employees that they will make well over minimum wage and then pay them peanuts, you're a liar and a thief. Also, provide better safeguards for employees who are visiting aggressive or scared dogs that could injure them, as opposed to doing nothing.
    Finally, stop saying YES PLEASE to every shady, improper and potentially damaging request that pet owners constantly submit, just so you can rake in the dough. Oftentimes by giving in to every ludicrous request, (like not giving sitters access to house alarm codes to enter the premesis because the owner doesn't feel "comfortable" with us having them....) you are hurting your employees and therefore your business.

"Cute Dogs, Awful Pay"

I have been working at Out-U-Go! full-time

Pros

Kind and helpful staff, Got trained and situated very quickly, Get to see cute dogs all day, Company truly cares about customers and their pets

Cons

You get paid per visit but not for travel time...so you end up working 9am to 5pm and you only get paid for half of that. You don't find out what dogs you're going to walk until an hour before you have to leave, making it impossible to plan your day. They are always asking me to pick up weekend walks or extra walks, so I feel obligated to be free all the time.

Advice to Management

Please pay us more, and please don't expect people to work on weekends!

"Terrible pay!"

Former Employee - Dog Sitter in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Dog Sitter in Denver, CO

I worked at Out-U-Go! part-time (More than a year)

Pros

there are no pros

Cons

Terrible pay, sleazy managers who sit at their desk all day watching videos on YouTube and watch you on webcams set up in houses. Turn over rate is terrible! $7 a visit when they charge over $20 to the consumer. Should be considered a scam. Out-U-Go more stands for how many sisters go out the door and leave the company...

Advice to Management

Acutely do something....

5. "Low pay... does not get treated well by owner"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Out-U-Go! full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with dogs every day!

Cons

Find out schedule 1 hour before you have to start your day.
    Pay is awful!
    No compensation for gas or travel

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better! Don't talk down to them and give them the pay that we deserve!

6. "It's a hobby not a job"

I worked at Out-U-Go! full-time

Pros

-Animal interaction
    -Walking outdoors in beautiful neighborhoods
    -Independent work

Cons

-No pay for transportation
    -Terrible pay to begin with
    -They lied to make it seem like I would make well over minimum wage
    -Sometimes it takes longer to do the job than the time they give, and they do not pay extra for that time
    -You have to use your own car, and sometimes travel between visits is a 30 minute drive. I repeat... you do not get paid for this.

Advice to Management

In order to keep employees, you must pay better. I loved the actual work, but would get so frustrated by the end of the day that I spent 8 hours but got paid about 6-7 dollars an hour.

7. "It's not a great company to work for"

Former Employee - Dog Walker in Oak Park, IL
    Former Employee - Dog Walker in Oak Park, IL

I worked at Out-U-Go! part-time

Pros

You get to see and play with dogs of all kind
    Friendly staff

Cons

Don't waste your time, pay is horrible
    You won't enjoy it knowing you're getting paid horribly

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better!!
    Get it together grouch!!

"High Expectations, Low pay, no concern for employees"

Former Employee - Pet Sitter
    Former Employee - Pet Sitter

I worked at Out-U-Go! part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dogs
    Enjoy the weather (when it's nice)
    It's not hard work

Cons

Pay is TERRIBLE
    The amount of time you spend out at visits, and travel in between does not add up to equal what you are paid.
    NO COMPENSATION for gas and/or travel time.
    Visits are not in same areas/neighborhood, they are spread out all over, which can add up to an additional 1-2 hours to your day. I would be given 4 visits and it would take me 4 hours to do 25 minute visits because of the travel time in between stops.
    I was told the work would be very flexible, would be able to say YES or NO to being scheduled that day, and this was not the case.
    Office staff/management seem extremely unorganized.
    Couldn't provide me with a regular route even though I was told for weeks that I would get one.
    Very hard to plan the rest of your day because how schedules are sent out (morning of).
    I was bitten on the job and the management basically implied it was my fault and that I needed to deal with it.
    After I was bitten, the client of the dog that bit me cancelled their dog walking service, management made sure to tell me that and they seemed more concerned about losing a client than the well being/safety of their employee -TERRIBLE.
    Do not work here unless you don't mind LOW pay, no compensation for travel time, risk of being injured on the job and company not caring, or not knowing what each day will look like.

Advice to Management

Please, please pay your employees more per visit and compensate for travel time. Treat your employees better as they are the ones out in the trenches doing all the work. When you treat your aemployees with respect and show you actually care about them you will get it back. Until then, don't expect a high caliber of employee. Very disappointed in this company and their treatment towards employees.

9. "Full Time Job, Part-Time Pay"

Former Employee - Dog Walker in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Dog Walker in Chicago, IL

I worked at Out-U-Go! full-time (More than a year)

Pros

dogs are fun, bosses answer phones quickly

Cons

dont get paid for transportation. schedules completely inconsistent = pay is completely inconsistent. expect you to commit to the highest.

Advice to Management

pay by the hour. hire fewer people and give people longer, better schedules.

10. "DONT WASTE YOUR TIME."

Former Employee - Pet Sitter in Denver, CO

I worked at Out-U-Go! part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You work with animals.

That's literally it.

Do not work here unless you love never knowing when you are going to work, love getting attacked by aggressive animals, and don't like getting paid a livable wage.

Good luck.

Cons

Don't pay enough

Don't care about employees when they get hurt on job.

Get mad at employees when there's nothing you can do about it.

Don't give you a weekly schedule making it impossible to schedule yourself for a 2nd job.

Good luck trying to make it part time at about $7/hr.

Don't apply here.

They train you but not enough.

They make you meet aggressive dogs for the first time alone in that dogs house where they are more likely to attack when a stranger is entering their home. VERY TRAUMATIC FOR SCARED AND AGGRESSIVE ANIMALS. NOT OKAY.

Oh and after I quit I had to call them 3 different times in order to get paid for training and the work I did for them.

Advice to Management

Get a new hiring manager. The current one sucks at her job.