Outback Steakhouse Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Gregg Scarlett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Expect to work long hours if you don't have a strong staff (in 98 reviews)

• Poor management based around a lack of empathy (in 28 reviews)

1. "Drink the kool aid and you'll fit right in."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Surprise, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Surprise, AZ

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cash daily, half price food, you get to wear black long sleeves and pants in the sweltering summer!

Cons

Lots of drug use by employees, probably trying to feel better about the complete horror that is corporate and upper management. You should be okay with taking something that has been working for decades and replace it with some new untested and stupid way of doing things. Also be ready to be on tip share with people lazier than the guy who created the Japanese flag.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves.

2. "server"

I worked at Outback Steakhouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

none at all, terrible company

Cons

too many to name, worst place ever

3. "Horrible"

I worked at Outback Steakhouse full-time

Pros

Free bread and occasional food

Cons

Disrespectful managers who curse at you and smoke vapes in kitchen office, managers always missing when you need them, biased managers who only protect employees in their friend groups, all the managers allow females to be harrassed by the male co workers, being blackmailed by managers to not speak to corporate or risk being fired, favortism towards White co-workers, obvious sexism, constantly being blamed as a server for the kitchen's mistakes,

Advice to Management

You can't run a business by firing people just because they don't make your friend list. If you want to run a business, then the rules need to be set for everyone, no matter what the skin color, and no manager needs to be trying to get servers more money just because the manager has a fetish for White girls, disrespecting employees on a daily basis will get you nowhere, allowing an employee to get harassed by another employee is unacceptable...I hope corporate sees this.

4. "Server"

Pros

Was never given an interview despite my near 10 years experience in the industry. They don't call you back to set an interview.

Cons

I never received an interview. I have almost ten years experience in the restaurant industry as a server and applied for a server position. I had to chase them down to even try to get an interview. They have constant job postings but then don't even call you after you submit your resume.

I stopped by in person first and then called multiple times and was told the manager wasn't in and to call back another day and was consistently given different times and days to call back.

I ended up getting a better job but it's ridiculous that you have to chase them down as someone with experience. There is clearly a disconnect with the corporate office who is posting the jobs and the actual local management.

Advice to Management

If you want good employees, act like a professional company and actually get back with potential hires. Don't keep posting job openings if you don't even attempt to fill them.

5. "How much more do I have to do?"

Former Employee - Server in Surprise, AZ
    Former Employee - Server in Surprise, AZ

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got out early. Short drive to work. My food was always ran.

Cons

What more will corporate make the servers do? Waiting tables has changed so much since I first started. They eliminate the bussers now we tip the hostesses so they don't have to pay them more. Sure they help bus our tables but we are reminded that bussing is still our job. I now have to take my work home with me and study for all the changes on the menu. Diners Awards? Not only to I have to talk these people into signing up this place wants me to go in the back and do it for them. This is just one of the discounts they do along with AARP and militarily. Which is so awesome for us. The consent yelling from the managers is new for me to. Nothing like being threatened all through your shift. This being a steak house you already have the problem of steaks cooked wrong. We had the extra treat of having mostly seniors. I had to leave because I felt I had to work to hard for the tips I made. Also if we had real bussers that we tipped out ourselves that actually helped us and had assigned duties. We could have five tables and make way more money ...but keep us at three so I spend half the night in the dish pit. Next this place will start charging us for our charge tips...it's just not worth it and dont forget we dont even get minimum wage. All that and they expect me to sing happy birthday ...no thanks

Advice to Management

Shut up, I hated walking in the kitchen. Yelling and screaming all night was so annoying and very negative. We hear enough from the guests.

6. "busser"

Former Employee - Busser in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Busser in Miami, FL

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none. Apply there and find out if you can seek any pros because i didnt.

Cons

everything.. Dirty establishment, management overlooks health violations, not professional at being a manager. Very pushy, bossy, uncaring, un happy individuals as managers.. Not sure if the same managers are still there when i was working there. but the ones when i was there are the ones who i am referring to.

Advice to Management

clean your restaurant.. start caring about your guests health.

7. "not worth it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time

Pros

it is good money
    gives you short hours

Cons

customers kind of sucks
    management sucks
    they touch your food

8. "manager"

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

discounts and food
    Discounts at other brands

Cons

hours and pay
    demands on manager
    Profit only concern

9. "Server"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Easley, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Easley, SC

I worked at Outback Steakhouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

50% food to buy. Food is delicious.

Cons

Obvious preferential treatment, clique formed, boss slept around and is drinking buddies with many there. Money was never good enough. Work super hard and receive little in return. My outback is filled with party goers, drug addicts, and drunks. Tiny sections. Not enough teamwork. Never an expo.

10. "Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - FOH Manager
    Former Employee - FOH Manager

I worked at Outback Steakhouse (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast way to earn money

Cons

Everything else- hard on your body, food is bad for you, high potential for injury, constantly fighting for recognition and never receiving it, rules that change to fit the circumstances, quality of food declining, attempt to monetize and streamline EVERYTHING, etc., etc.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the hard workers, otherwise we find better opportunities.

Showing 112 of 1,674 reviews