Outback Steakhouse Reviews | Glassdoor

Gregg Scarlett

1. "Fremont, Outback"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Outback Steakhouse (More than a year)

Pros

Loved my staff and the work environment
    California Softball tournament is awesome

Cons

went back to the outback I worked at and heard complaints about new uniforms

2. "Senior Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Assistant Manager in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Outback Steakhouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great People
    Loyal Customers
    Great for young minded individuals

Cons

Lack of Communication
    Upper Management Inexperienced
    Training impersonal

3. "Server"

Former Employee - Server in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Dallas, TX

I worked at Outback Steakhouse (More than a year)

Pros

Well defined demographic, organized management,

Cons

Irregular business, wax/waning crowds/industry, stressful

5. "server"

Current Employee - Server in Buffalo Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Server in Buffalo Grove, IL

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

decent tips, friendly coworkers

Cons

have to deal with rude people sometimes, work every weekend, issues with management.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits here are top notch

Cons

Upper management changes frequently, took away bonuses from managers

7. "Servee"

Current Employee - Key Manager in Orland, CA
    Current Employee - Key Manager in Orland, CA

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good money, fun environmemt, ans good food

Cons

Management over staffs when not needed

Advice to Management

Staff less so employees arent standing around. Guest do notice

8. "heads up!!"

Former Employee - Server in Stockbridge, GA
    Former Employee - Server in Stockbridge, GA

Pros

outback was a pretty cool job, good money. pretty bad work environment, coworkers have very little respect and they play favorites.

Cons

poorly managed staff. you will get terminated without hesitation. they dont even want to hear your sid eof the story or what happened just know if you mess up they will take you rite off the schedule. no heads up no write up anything jst know that before you decide to work here it can be very temporary. unless your a favorite.

Advice to Management

care about your employees

9. "Server"

Current Employee - Server in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Server in Amherst, NY

I have been working at Outback Steakhouse (More than a year)

Pros

Inexpensive so there tend to be a lot of regulars. Lots of menu changes so there is a lot of variety month to month,

Cons

Just like any chain restaurant, the corporate structure can sometimes hinder the actual guest experience. No one wants to hear about the survey we have.

"Operations Manager / Front of House Manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Outback Steakhouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment which allowed me to be very mobile and multitask constantly. Make friends with regulars, be able to wear a lot of different hats.

I would help assist every position in the restaurant for at least one part of each and every day. I would review my previous years sales and labor costs and pinpoint which part of the restaurant struggled in the previous year and where I should focus my efforts.on.

Really gained alot of skills on a the spot, and maintained the restaurants daily operations in a fun and modern but effective approach. Had 35 employees who I would delegate daily tasks too and never had anyone push back or disagree with my Managing tactics or philosophies.

Cons

Company taught me alot, and had great GM's and JVPS. However I felt very under prepared in regards to updates on company policy and procedure adjustements. New Menu releases were almost a surprise, teachbacks on how to prepare food were rarely taught to Managers and Assistant Managers.

Company understaffed administaration, it was always a constant problem with payroll , direct deposits never processed on time, home office was very rarely available. District managers or Food techs/Service techs were stretched so thin their areas were huge, it was impossible for them to have a personal relationship with all of the stores. It was very frustarating and I felt like they threw you to the fire and just expected you to learn and train yourself on your own, their was never a consistent process of training new managers it changed every 3-6 months.
    Then they would expect everyone to be on the same page which would be impossible because each store would do things differently.

Research and development would release food items that would take forever to prepare and would contain high commodity cost items that would make no sense to buy a case full of produce or liquor for one specific drink or plate. Very poorly researched in regards to the demographic that Outback attracted which was blue collar people., which is perfectly fine. However people wouldn't be interested in buying a 13 dollar drink with cilantro or jalopenos in it.

All in all it was a good way to learn how to work fast, and work quickly and make decisions on the drop of a dime because product levels were always an issue and in my personal opinion you should never run out of an item that is listed on a menu or commercial.

Advice to Management

Know your demographic, the customer is always right, always have the product listed on the menu at the price listed on the menu or honor the commercial on the television even if you are losing your RTN. If its not reasonable or affordable, then don't offer it, and if its possible you may run out of a product nationwide, don't even waste your time. Stay up to date and relevant with whats hot and whats not.

"Managing Partner"

Former Employee - Managing Partner/Proprietor in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Managing Partner/Proprietor in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Outback Steakhouse (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great meal discounts that include all concepts under the Bloom'n brands umbrella lower-mid level advancement opportunities, Potential for higher than normal salary at other restaurant's.

Cons

LONG HOURS, you WILL work days, nights, weekends, late hours and holidays! Your family will suffer! Has become an extremely micromanaged company that gives little to NO ROOM for individuality at the unit level, false promises for promotions to string you along for their benefit, have become very judgmental about the way one looks for possible promotions vs the hard work and dedication one puts into the company.

Advice to Management

Stop using Proprietor and Managing Partner as job title's for the unit supervisor or GM. There's no buyout anymore at the end of their contracts and they are just puppets doing what they are told by a computer program that's shoved down their throats by corporate. You can't affect your own destiny, the benchmarks are to high to actually make a good fair yearly bonus and you've handicapped the unit level of any autonomy. This is why so many senior Partners or so called "Partners" have left the company over the last 5 years!

Showing 404 of 1,415 reviews