Outerwall Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Erik Prusch

Pros
  • outerwall is always making an effort to improve processes as well as keep work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Great company with good benefits and training (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management, Executives, Leadership in Bellevue (in 5 reviews)

• Redbox is in decline and there is no digital strategy in place (in 17 reviews)

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is great. Teams are collaborative with a genuine interest in improving the business. With the new CEO the executive team is top notch, diverse and the best I've worked with in my long career. They also focus on and invest in the environment, local community and giving back.

Cons

The systems and process need a lot of improvement; however, the management team recognizes this and are moving in the right direction - but it will take time.

With the management team split between WA and IL, the distance and phone vs. face-to-face can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep moving in the direction headed. Expand the successful pilot businesses faster to off-set the slower growth of Coin and Redbox. Look for international opportunities.

2. "Integrity"

Former Employee - Field Technician in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Field Technician in San Jose, CA

I worked at Outerwall full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company, great management team, does what it says it will do, wish them continued success.

Cons

none that I can see, every project doesn't work out, that's just business.

Advice to Management

Dig deep, try to gain a personal perspective when it comes to employees, better results achieved.

3. "Great company. Treats all employees well and with respect. A rarity in any line of business."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great senior leadership, committed to the bottomline, while keeping the customer and the employee in full view creating a well rounded company.

Cons

We continue to lag behind on many technology fronts but it is getting better. All in all not many CONS to find here at Outerwall

Advice to Management

It would be great again to offer as a benefit...an employee-stock purchase program. It was taken away a few years back and many employees would love to see it returned.

5. "Not perfect, but a great place to grow"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outerwall really cares about growing their people professionally, and that shows through how employees are rewarded, how they are treated and the culture of "just do it" that pervades throughout. There is an opportunity to explore those things you are interested in professionally and seeing if that's where your career will take you.

From where I sit, the work-life balance is absolutely amazing. I have never felt like I've had to sacrifice my personal life for the job, but on the same token I have never felt bored. I don't know how they've figured this out, but it's much appreciated. This isn't true for all teams, but it is for a lot.

Cons

The company is in flux. With Redbox projected to decline in the next 3-5 years, there is some uncertainty about where the next big revenue generator will be. There are some great opportunities, but since each individual business operates in their own bubble, it can be hard to use resources in one LOB to support a new, burgeoning one.

Advice to Management

Just keep pushing more work *across* LOBs instead of keeping them siloed. More work should be in Shared Services in order to create scale, objectivity and flexibility throughout the organization. Leaders need to be more inspirational and passionate.

6. "Great people, great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Outerwall (More than a year)

Pros

What I love about working at Outerwall is the amazing people and the continued community support through the company's volunteer and giving program. I love the wonderful things that the company and its employees are doing for local communities across the nation, their support of veterans and their sustainability efforts. It's the right way to do business. On a professional level, I really love working with my manager. She is extremely kind, intelligent and compassionate. I've learned a ton working with her over the past year (almost year and a half). She respects me as an expert in my field, while she also always provides clear feedback and professional advice that helps me develop and grow. I can honestly say that I am better at what I do today, than when I started over a year ago. I attribute that to the collaborative and respectful relationship that I have with my manager.

Cons

There are cons to any situation. My belief is that the biggest part of a person's success come from their attitude, and then their work ethic.

Advice to Management

None.

7. "great starting job"

Current Employee - MS Tech in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - MS Tech in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at Outerwall full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very laid back
    easy going
    occasional team activity's
    easy interview
    no much experience required
    great benefits
    multiple different full time shifts available
    great place to gain experience required for higher level jobs

Cons

extremely repetitive
    gets boring
    no over time allowed
    you opinion does not matter
    management doesn't follow through

Advice to Management

doesn't come through with plans. Asks for advice, opinions and possible changes we would like to see in the department but does nothing to implement them or even try. Whole management staff wastes a lot of time doing nothing.

8. "electronic processor"

I have been working at Outerwall full-time

Pros

Easy job fun to work at

Cons

layed off after two years

9. "Field Service Technician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Outerwall (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with good benefits and training. Independent work with good input from supervisor. Excellent team building activities.

Cons

Large territories to cover involves a lot of driving time. Parts shipments can get lost or delayed.

Advice to Management

Streamline expense procedures and try to listen to and assist employees. Don't be so greedy

"Laid off after nearly 13 years. My first 10 years were great. After that it was awful."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Outerwall full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good for getting paid well, vacation time, and work life balance. The benefits are good. In my early years I learned a lot.

Cons

Management is not good. They are all new and unknown. I was not impressed.

Advice to Management

Don't lay off people just before Christmas. It's beyond me how my immediate managers satisfied those core values.

11. "Growth company striving to compete for talent with big companies in PNW"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Outerwall full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- great work environment and people...almost still small enough to be family
    - ability to grow and develop skills from great people
    - benefits are progressive and fair with many small "fringe" benefits
    - innovation and technology are two attributes that the company wants and puts effort into
    - clear strengths in operations, money handling, retail sales and business development

Cons

- smaller company where opportunities to grow within are not great but they do come up so not really a big deal if you can get in the door, execute well and are good at networking.
    - developing employees is often talked about but not consistently executed

Advice to Management

- stick with the strategy and develop your people. the rest will follow