Outlook Amusements Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Jason Freeland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Besides the free food, sponsored gym, awesome office, great benefits and activities I absolutely love it here (in 13 reviews)

• Very nice office space and benefits as well as an overall good work atmosphere (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to get the hint (in 8 reviews)

• This is a genuine Psychic company, not like some others (in 5 reviews)

1. "Wonderful!!"

I have been working at Outlook Amusements full-time

Pros

This place is amazing. I love the staff, the environment & the opportunities Ive had to grow.

Cons

Just the commute! But there isnt much that can be done about LA traffic.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Nov 6, 2017 – recruiting manager

Thank you for your comments! We try to create a supportive environment and part of that is hiring great people. Glad that you’ve had opportunities to grow as well. Let us know if there’s anything... More

"Proceed With Caution"

Pros

- Stocked kitchen
    - Most of the employees are good people
    - Pay is industry standard
    - Casual office environment
    -HR is great when they are brought into the loop and are allowed do their jobs

Cons

- Revolving door employment
    - No clear company direction
    - Contract to Perm is a myth - if you take a job here on that premise just understand a conversion to full time perm is not happening
    - Stability seems to be @ 0%

Advice to Management

- Hire actual employees and not contractors. Invest in your people
    - Empower the smart people in your org to make decisions
    - Stop instilling the uncertainty of getting canned - people do better with stability

"Developer"

Current Employee - Developer in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have full Benefits. Free snacks, CEO has great vision and pulls the company forward.

Cons

Atmosphere in the development department is absolutely toxic due to middle management that yells and threaten people with firing. The entire department is controlled by two friends that have no business managing anyone.
    They have unbelievable turn over and rightfully so.
    Upper management doesn't seem to get the hint.
    I was yelled at multiple times for following orders and threatened with firing.
    It looks like they will try and blame you for anything that goes wrong and in most cases they are the cause.
    They recently fired the CTO. A step in the right direction but left his middle management in place.
    Most of the development is actually done in india which means lousy code is constantly being pushed out.

Advice to Management

You have good vision but need to completely replace your middle management. They can't lead anyone.

"with caution"

I worked at Outlook Amusements full-time

Pros

Great building and office space

Cons

chaotic and unpredictable management

Nov 6, 2017 – recruiting manager

Thank you for your comment and perspective. We agree that it can get a little chaotic when a company is evolving and responding to its business. We are very transparent about changes and for some... More

"Training and Management = High Turnover"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Outlook Amusements full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with. I consider a few friends now. Spacious work stations and open spaces within the building and outside. Opportunity to work from home is nice. Great benefits and decent pay. Fun parties.

Cons

Training is less than to be desired. Honestly it's a joke. You are given one set of rules in training then when you are on the floor you realize you are doing things wrong. Nothing in training explains how ruthless and awful customers can be...and you are expected to take it. Hang up on someone cussing you out then you will be fired. Festivities are nice but they allow the day shift to participate. If you work night you get all of the remaining leftovers that has been sitting out for hours. So try to get a day shift otherwise bring your own food if you don't. Hopefully no one will eat it. They hire from the outside so if you have your heart set on a lead or supervisor position and know the system like the back of your hand and do great at what you do still be prepared to not only see someone else take that position but you wind up training that person to do their job. There are also those that get preferred treatment. They can take long breaks, be rude to customers, get special schedules which everyone is told at the interview you can't change the schedule but somehow some do after they are hired. Some don't even have to work right away and take a vacation within the 90 days you start and call out sick and have a job even though they warn you not to do it. It's a joke. When you follow all the rules you constantly wonder why? Oh yeah because of personal work ethics that are never recognized. lol

Advice to Management

Please get with the training manager and have some continuity with rules and procedures. This may do wonders with the high turnover rate. Reward good reps and stop playing favorites.

Jul 7, 2017 – recruiting manager

Thank you for sharing your perspectives. We'll look into each of them. And you get no argument from us that some customers can be very difficult to please! In fact, we're currently developing a... More

6. "Great company to gain experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Outlook Amusements (More than a year)

Pros

- Ownership truly cares for the employees
    - Great benefits
    - Beautiful office space
    - Good culture and atmosphere

Cons

- Not everyone may have a long career path
    - The need to react to a dynamic market may be stressful for some
    - Operational maintenance of infrastructure for a service that is 24/7 can be stressful

Advice to Management

I think that management has been doing a fantastic job. It is very difficult plan long term for a very dynamic product market. The shifting priorities can be frustrating for some employees and I think that some sensitivity may go a long way. But people have to realize that the company needs to make sure they invest in the correct initiatives in order to be profitable, pay the overhead, and salaries.

It is a huge responsibility and in my personal experience, I have seen nothing but a very caring and responsible management team trying to make the right decisions for the company and employees. I am very grateful of the opportunity and experience OA has provided me to move onto my next venture.

Jun 6, 2017 – recruiting manager

Thank you for sharing your experience! We are very happy that we contributed in a positive way to continue your career/life journey! We see ourselves as a destination to gain experience and make... More

"Customer Service Represnetative"

I worked at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First and foremost, this place pulls in a ton of money and you can tell by the beautiful building it is in (which is shared with some huge entertainment names)! Clean work space, snacks provided at no charge, floor leads are fantastic, supervisors are amicable/approachable, tasks are no-brainers, very fun company events, coworkers were fun to interact with, pay is not bad given the minimal level of responsibility, and benefits are very good (PTO after six months, 401K match, sick days, etc).

Cons

Pay is cut off at $18 per hour, and even then, you'd have to make a career out of being there (average raise is approximately 40 cents), limited upward mobility (though it is not impossible to move up, even outside of customer service), company owner sees himself as world's greatest business owner (not accurate, though he must have been close at some point), middle and upper management look out for themselves before anyone else, tech-end of company patches problems instead of looking for real solutions so there are constant computer/network issues for both clients and employees.

Advice to Management

Look to new bright minds to solve pre-existing problems! Don't ask the people who created the problem for their input! Also, I understand that the management and owner see everyone except themselves as replaceable but a high turnover rate (which Outlook does have) weakens the company's potential (which is massive). Best of luck.

Jan 4, 2017 – recruiting manager

Thank you for sharing your review. We're pleased that you enjoyed the office environment - we think it's pretty great - and your work environment, colleagues, and benefits! In fact,, our employees... More

"Save yourself the stress and look elsewhere."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, nice location, free food, some recognition when it is due.

Cons

Low pay, no room for growth, prefer to hire from outside the company than promote from within, incompetent supervisors and management that play favorites. Some employees could get away with murder, or even something a company never should never want to hear: sexual harassment. It happened all the time in front of people with leadership roles and nothing was done about it. In the couple of instances when somebody made a formal complaint, management launched a lousy excuse for an investigation and nothing happened. They are lucky they don't get sued left and right by employees. The CEO also has no idea what he is doing. He's probably the most incompetent of them all. Him or the Marketing dept. maybe...

Advice to Management

Maybe take sexual harassment claims seriously. Treat your employees better.

Feb 28, 2017 – recruiting manager

Wow - we shared your feedback with our Director of Human Resources and she asked us to invite you to contact her personally, so we can get to the bottom of any harassment situations that you might... More

"Good - if you need a job and then find something better"

I worked at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best things about Outlook Amusements are mention all the time:
    -Fully stock refrigerator for employees.
    -Onsite gym - company pays for a portion of it.
    -Pays industry rate
    -Good benefits.
    -People (employees - not executives or managers).

Cons

-Management is the worse part about working here.
    -Management is so out of touch with employees.
    -CTO is scary because one day he might have a bad day and start screaming at people.
    -No room for growth, unless you heavily suck up to the manager (meaning you become friends with him/her, buy coffee, say "Yes" and pretend you are doing work and then blame someone else when nothing is done).
    -Employees are moved around positions and departments, but no raise or no input from employee. So dont let the change in tittle fool you.
    -People that have been there longer than 2 years hate their job (tech dept).
    -People quit left and right in the tech department.
    - No training provided. (They do provide linda.com, but only for two weeks, So might as well get the linda.com trial lol).
    - over all, this company if good for Developers, QA, DBAs, UX designers if you need a job right away and then look for something else. Now just my opinion, after two years working here and would much rather work a minimum wage job and be happier.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, provide training, stop heavy favoritism. Employees see this and it does not help an already broken culture.

Feb 28, 2017 – recruiting manager

Thank you for your feedback, and it's clear that we haven't communicated enough. We'll definitely work harder on this! We encourage training, and Lynda.com is available for more than 2 weeks at a... More

"True creatives should pass"

Pros

I met some great people, free food, nice location and building.

Cons

QUICK CONS
    Micromanagement, high turnover, contradictory viewpoints, no room for growth, bad management. Show favoritism toward personality as opposed to skill. It's a psychic company.

GENERAL CONS
    I wanted to like this place, but my experience here has actually affected my health. At first, I was excited to to join the team, and was hired to help in the creative design/branding. I worked extremely well with creative, but quickly realized the micromanagement and contradictory lead of the upper management team. This place is notorious for workers trying to show their worth, and become so consumed by a "look what I did" mentality, and that leads to many contradictory assignments, not caring, too many cooks in the kitchen atmosphere, blaming, and talking behind other people's back. It's a very toxic environment where it feels like you're carrying around a heavy burden.

I am speechless to say the least by the incompetent management I’ve seen at this company. I met some great people here, but there is tremendous stress that is unnecessary day in, and day out.

Advice to Management

I had a good conversation with the CEO of the company, and told him honestly, that my time here was not easy. I voiced my concern, and we chatted quite a bit about some decisions. He said this place isn't for everyone.

My advice to management would be to get involved more involved in the trenches without micromanaging. Don't just put trust in your "favorites," especially when they're so new. Create an environment of honesty, trust and communicate this across the board.

Feb 28, 2017 – recruiting manager

We're so glad you had a chance to talk with our CEO and spoke candidly. We agree that honesty, trust and communication is beyond important - it's essential to a healthy organization! It's... More