Outlook Amusements Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jason Freeland

Pros
  • Besides the free food, sponsored gym, awesome office, great benefits and activities I absolutely love it here (in 13 reviews)

• The company always introduces new incentives and ways to keep their employees engaged (bonus, good benefits, etc), but there is a reason for that (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I worked extremely well with creative, but quickly realized the micromanagement and contradictory lead of the upper management team (in 7 reviews)

• Extremely toxic work environment (in 6 reviews)

"Customer Service Represnetative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First and foremost, this place pulls in a ton of money and you can tell by the beautiful building it is in (which is shared with some huge entertainment names)! Clean work space, snacks provided at no charge, floor leads are fantastic, supervisors are amicable/approachable, tasks are no-brainers, very fun company events, coworkers were fun to interact with, pay is not bad given the minimal level of responsibility, and benefits are very good (PTO after six months, 401K match, sick days, etc).

Cons

Pay is cut off at $18 per hour, and even then, you'd have to make a career out of being there (average raise is approximately 40 cents), limited upward mobility (though it is not impossible to move up, even outside of customer service), company owner sees himself as world's greatest business owner (not accurate, though he must have been close at some point), middle and upper management look out for themselves before anyone else, tech-end of company patches problems instead of looking for real solutions so there are constant computer/network issues for both clients and employees.

Advice to Management

Look to new bright minds to solve pre-existing problems! Don't ask the people who created the problem for their input! Also, I understand that the management and owner see everyone except themselves as replaceable but a high turnover rate (which Outlook does have) weakens the company's potential (which is massive). Best of luck.

Jan 4, 2017 – recruiting manager

Thank you for sharing your review. We're pleased that you enjoyed the office environment - we think it's pretty great - and your work environment, colleagues, and benefits! In fact,, our employees ... More

"Good - if you need a job and then find something better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best things about Outlook Amusements are mention all the time:
    -Fully stock refrigerator for employees.
    -Onsite gym - company pays for a portion of it.
    -Pays industry rate
    -Good benefits.
    -People (employees - not executives or managers).

Cons

-Management is the worse part about working here.
    -Management is so out of touch with employees.
    -CTO is scary because one day he might have a bad day and start screaming at people.
    -No room for growth, unless you heavily suck up to the manager (meaning you become friends with him/her, buy coffee, say "Yes" and pretend you are doing work and then blame someone else when nothing is done).
    -Employees are moved around positions and departments, but no raise or no input from employee. So dont let the change in tittle fool you.
    -People that have been there longer than 2 years hate their job (tech dept).
    -People quit left and right in the tech department.
    - No training provided. (They do provide linda.com, but only for two weeks, So might as well get the linda.com trial lol).
    - over all, this company if good for Developers, QA, DBAs, UX designers if you need a job right away and then look for something else. Now just my opinion, after two years working here and would much rather work a minimum wage job and be happier.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, provide training, stop heavy favoritism. Employees see this and it does not help an already broken culture.

Feb 28, 2017 – recruiting manager

Thank you for your feedback, and it's clear that we haven't communicated enough. We'll definitely work harder on this! We encourage training, and Lynda.com is available for more than 2 weeks at a ... More

"More management than developers"

Former Employee - UI Developer in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - UI Developer in Burbank, CA

Pros

Good pay and benefits, barely compensates on everything else. Office perks. Free food.

Cons

Layers and layers of middle management. Mangers put developers on call.

Open work space environment means there is a manager behind your back at all time trying to make you work faster.

You are constantly on a sprint.

High turnover.

Advice to Management

So many of you. Management can be cut to just the CTO as there are less then 10 local developers..

Nov 3, 2016 – recruiting manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're sorry that your experience was mixed. Our open-plan work space isn't for everyone. We find that it fosters easy and frequent communication and ... More

"A Caring Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Excellent environment - fully-stocked kitchen; fun activities; beautiful office location w/gym downstairs
    + management really does care about the employees
    + great business model with longevity
    + team members have long tenure and cumulative business knowledge which is unparalleled
    + Excellent collaboration between departments
    + people truly like each other in this organization

Cons

- used to change directions often, but now that is less of a factor
    - marketing department needs to be strengthened

Nov 3, 2016 – recruiting manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and we hope each future work experience is positive for you! - OA

"I love this place!"

I have been working at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been working here at California Psychics for almost 5 years now. Its a fun job,
     the supervisors will work with you with anything you need.
    Jeff always has his door open and you can always ask him for help.
    The fridge always has food if you forget to bring food .
    the building has a gym downstairs that the company helps you pay for if you decide to join.
    they have fun events every other month.
    The huge two events that the company will do is the summer picnic and the holiday party.

Cons

like any other job you have some cons.
    if you are late they count it the same as if you called out, you can only have 7 call outs/ lates in the year. if you exceed that you are out. that's the one thing they don't play around with.

Nov 3, 2016 – recruiting manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy that you're happy! And we also appreciate hearing about ways we can be even better. We hope you share your ideas with your supervisor, manager, or ... More

"best so far"

I have been working at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

efficient, sweet, full training, proper management, nice people. fair wages. work with your schedule. listen to your work related problems. amazing supervisor staff.

Cons

I don't have any as of right now.

8. "They Listen"

I have been working at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upper management and HR are dedicated to staff and employee experience. A lot of great office perks: beautiful views, private yoga, best gym ever, great health coverage. The environment is full of beautiful people and health nuts, it rubs off on you. Food and catering is good.

Cons

Advancement in company can be slow and painful; but people are moving around and that's good to see!

Advice to Management

n/a

"Friendly atmosphere, great teams"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked here for a few years now and I can safely say this is one of the better companies I've worked for.
    * Great management that encourages feedback/usability suggestions for the site from all members in tech, so you feel empowered
    * Management understands that personalities clash and aims to hire people that would be collaborative and work well with the people that are already here. For this reason, our teams blend very well.
    * HR puts together fun company parties and invites company employees to join in on planning meetings for any new ideas including charity work, more parties, etc.
    * Upscale building that comes with a "ok" gym (it's super clean, but has little to no weightlifting equipment. Just some dumbbells and cardio stuff.)
    * Nice work area. You're not stuck in a cubicle. I've got an awesome view of the courtyard, Alameda ave, the mountains, etc.
    * HR is amazing here. If you have any questions about your insurance, random concerns, whatever it may be, they're very diligent, kind, and welcoming.

Cons

* There is a lot of growth for developers that stick around and do a good job. I've seen quite a few promotions here in just a few months' time. Most of this is due to constant organizational restructuring. The same isn't really true for "lower" positions like QA Analysts.
    Lateral transfers to other departments is the "solution" to people feeling stagnant in their current positions even if they do a great job. The low turn-over in tech doesn't free up any positions to apply to.
    * Benefits are "ok" compared to other tech companies. A lot of companies boast that they have free health/dental/vision/commute but don't expect the same here. However, this company is competitive if you were to compare it to non-tech companies.
    * Inter-department relations can either be collaborative, or it can be undermining. Blame gets shifted easily on "the other side of the office" and there is a huge problem of "us versus them" when it comes to Tech versus Customer Service.
    * A lot of office politics

"Overall a Good Place for Talent and Dedication"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, healthy food + snacks, fun activities and company outings as well as a competitive pay + benefits structure.

Cons

There definitely is a bit of paranoia among some employees that I would say is not helped by a fairly high turn-over rate. Mistakes and blame is placed and highlighted more often than success and good work is praised or acknowledged.

Advice to Management

More credit for successes and consistency rather than overreacting to every minor change or unexpected roadblock.

"Good company"

I have been working at Outlook Amusements full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Outlook Amusements offers competitve salaries and has a cool vibe. Upper management asks for feedback and listens. There are some avenues for career advancement.

Cons

Not every department has clear avenues for promotion, but it's a smaller company, so perhaps that is to be expected

Advice to Management

Keep communication channels open