Outpost Natural Foods Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Outpost is a force of GOOD in your community"

I have been working at Outpost Natural Foods full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Its an environment I feel good about working for. The culture is transparent, problems are addressed, and high performers are recognized and grown in to coop leaders. I am one of them, who began as a clerk, took full advantage of all trainings and programs I could, and have grown in to a manager. Outpost values a work/life balance. They truly care about the well-being of their employees.

Cons

They pay is not as competitive as other similar companies, but when you keep in mind the wealth of benefits (both tangible and intangible) it can't be beat.

"assistant store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Outpost Natural Foods full-time

Pros

The mission statement of Outpost is incredible. The Coop is a fair community that cares about the people working there and the People coming into shop. The education is amazing!!! Pam and Ed are the thoughtful and caring as overall leaders in the business.

Cons

Only in Milwaukee (which is also a Pro) It is truly a family to work for. The crime at the Capitol location was getting out of control.

Advice to Management

Thank-you for helping grow my skills It is a caring community and the people come first. Management team works together to be successful.

"Has a Heart"

Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Outpost Natural Foods full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

culture, work/life balance, challenging, fun

Cons

No company yoga classes lol

Advice to Management

I've loved working here. It's become my career. I find it rewarding, challenging, fun and never, ever boring. What is especially great is that they walk their talk, care about the community, the world and the staff and operate every day with integrity. As good as it gets.

"So-So"

I worked at Outpost Natural Foods part-time

Pros

Outpost, at least in my experience, generally has a good work environment. Both staff and management is friendly overall. Great for when you're in-between jobs or for a side job.

Cons

There isn't much in the way of upward mobility, not if you're looking for a career (unless you want to work for 5+ years for a chance to get a higher position). Getting a merit raise is almost impossible. Outpost does not do a good job of living up to its mission. This "co-op" in disguise is becoming more and more of a typical corporate grocery chain.

Advice to Management

Review Outpost's mission and values and work proactively to meet them.

5. "Cosumer Nutrition Educator"

Former Employee - Consumer Nurition Educator in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Consumer Nurition Educator in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Outpost Natural Foods part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful managers to work for. Rewarded for good work. Employee discount for purchases. Excellent benefits

Cons

I have no complaints about Outpost. Have always been happy there after 23 years of employment

6. "Good Place to Work"

Pros

Outpost is an enjoyable place to work. They promote a healthy work/life balance and offer an inviting and comfortable work environment. Provide fair pay and you go to work looking forward to the day and seeing your work family.

Cons

Inconsistent leadership and rule enforcing.

Advice to Management

Have less leadership members who are stronger forces in the department.

7. "Outstanding employer"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mequon, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mequon, WI

I have been working at Outpost Natural Foods full-time

Pros

Culture of transparency, Work/home life balance is encouraged and what you put into your job you are given recognition for. More support and encouragement to learn and grow than any retail employer I have worked for prior. Benefits are more than fair especially for a smaller company.

Cons

Honestly, none! The pay isn't as competitive as some larger retailers offer managers but you don't have to work yourself into an early grave so it's worth it.

Advice to Management

Stay open to change, especially in our unique cafe and the diverse markets we serve as we grow. Don't lose the coop values (I know you won't).

"Disorganized"

Current Employee - Cafe Journey Person in Mequon, WI
    Current Employee - Cafe Journey Person in Mequon, WI

Pros

Good coworkers, mostly pleasant customers, 15% discount and you get to eat lossed food.

Cons

Really poor training, badly defined work roles, poor pay increases for promotions, inconsistent management. They give far more lipservice to working with the union than they actually do. Not a well run company.

Advice to Management

Training is vital for everyone in the company, as is constructive feedback.

"Don't work in cafe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mequon, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mequon, WI

I have been working at Outpost Natural Foods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The food that is lossed/expired gets put into the break room, for you to eat at your own risk of course.

Cons

Responsibties keep expanding, while the pay remains the same. The pay does not reflect the amount of work expected by a long shot..
    They claim it's because of labor costs etc.. but it seems fishy when the cafes profit has climbed by 8-10% just last month, and that they continue to hire more people when they can't even schedule the existing staff properly. Where's the money coming from if they claim to be so broke?

And it's even more difficult to get stuff done when they are understaffing so bad, the cafe has to close early just to get by.. and unfortunately its so bad they even have cafe workers doing maintenence work in the store because they can't staff maintenence..

Not to mention, they allow your other coworkers to do absolutely minimum without any disiplinary action. But their work falls on you when they don't do it.
    You can have one employee who has weekends, same shift.. only knowing one shift (and not even speak english) while you on the other hand could know every shift, get scheduled inconsistently, and get paid the same. Fair right?

Employees are not treated the same here, there is a lot of miscommunication between management and workers.. and problems are taken so lightly.
    Mods are not knowledgeable about any of the tasks, so basically useless when needed.. (it's sad when you end up training someone who is salary)
    But when things don't go the stores way, they pull the "we can do this, we're a coop" card. No- it's a Corp pretending to be a coop.
    And the horrible customers aren't even worth it

This place as so much turnover, you'd think it was a rotisserie chicken.

Advice to Management

That cafe is bleeding out. There's no saving it.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Outpost Natural Foods full-time

Pros

Positive environment, great open door policies. The management is very supportive. Lots of opportunity to learn and grow. Most promotions are from within.

Cons

Stuck between corporate mentality and co-op . Main Office is disconnected from staff on the front lines. Not very open to change, reactive more than proactive

Advice to Management

Spend more time in the stores, talk to people in the trenches and find new ways to look at problems, try new things.