Overhead Door Reviews in Lewisville, TX | Glassdoor

Lewisville, TX

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dennis Stone

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, good benefits, work at your own pace (in 5 reviews)

• Company vehicle provided after completing training, coworkers are good, decent pay (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little room for growth after the level 2 position (in 4 reviews)

• No clear guidance from upper management - Direction was nil (in 4 reviews)

1. "Wonderful people"

Former Contractor - Senior Graphic Designer in Lewisville, TX
    Former Contractor - Senior Graphic Designer in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Overhead Door as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone I came in contact with was well-qualified, very friendly and passionate about their work. The entire staff showed to be talented and enthusiastic.

Cons

The environment and culture is a little stuffy if you don't like the corporate, business casual style. With that also comes a slower pace.

Advice to Management

Work to keep those well-qualified, talented and enthusiastic team members. They are the foundation to your success. Lighten up a little on the dress code.

"Backstabbing micro-managers"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Overhead Door full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only positive is that you get paid every two weeks. I never had a paycheck bounce in my 10+ years here.

Cons

The backstabbing and micro-managing is ridiculous. It starts at the top, and goes downhill. Mid-level managers and supervisors love to play the blame game, and encourage a culture where taking ownership for one's shortcomings is non-existent. My manager loved to eavesdrop on phone conversations, and would butt in if she didn't like how the conversation was going. Open communications is a joke here. So is their mantra of "people first."

Advice to Management

Stop trying to run the company like it is Japanese.

"No Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

Pros

Scope to learn the business and new technologies.

Cons

Management expects employees to work after hours and weekends, but gives a 0.5% raise in salary and no bonus.

"Not the best place"

Former Employee - Texas in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Texas in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Overhead Door full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You meet some really nice people....

Cons

You also meet some very mean people, I felt I lied on a daily basis to customers.

Advice to Management

Improve your moral, back up your core values.

"Some great people, some bad people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Overhead Door full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people in different departments throughout the office. If it weren't for the people, I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did.

Cons

All talk, little action by HR. Have asked for employees to fill out surveys for the past few years and I saw no changes.

"Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Overhead Door full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training is easy and the systems are easy to learn. Management will try to help give you the best help possible.

Cons

Customers are often aggravated because they aren't the original owners of the equipment or didn't register their units so they aren't covered under warranty until they provide proof of purchase. There is a high turn over rate. If you can't learn the systems fast enough or aren't efficient in getting through the calls in a timely manner they will let you go.

"Good company but with many structural problems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Overhead Door full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Is a strong company with some very well know and wide spread brands under its belt. The best when it comes to garage and rolling steel doors. The company offer a very good 401k, insurance package, and compensation package. Management is professional and fairly accommodating.

Cons

Overhead Door fails in doing the basics. Communication throughout the company is lackluster at best, and at times important task fail to get done because information was not communicated to the people who need it the most when they need it. Training for new employees is abysmal and corrections are not made till it is too late and often the employee is let go through no fault of their own. At the same time the hiring process does not screen well at all for individuals who have the skills necessary to do what the job ask of them, often times hiring people who are lacking basic reasoning and computer skills needed for the job and expecting them to learn those skills in less than 2 weeks time. The company has tried to make improvements to these issues, but I am afraid their shortsightedness has bungled this as well. Trying their best to improve an outdated CRM system they spent millions of dollars on a new one which, in my opinion, has been a complete waste of resources given that they over-engineered it to handle nearly any scenario and for all divisions of the company except the ones that matter most. The whole CRM looks like a one-man band try to control his instruments with a Swiss-Army knife; in short its bad, and its because they failed to take into consideration the basics. Still with or without the new system the company moves very slowly and makes a lot of stupid mistakes, so much so that they often irritate their dealer and consumer base. The company is still large enough to weather these storms for the time being, but the question is for how long.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees and customers, the people who care about your success the most. You need to get back to basics: people, process, and product. Your people are ok, but the culture has been toxic for a long time and needs to be spruced up. Remember work is meant to be fun and fulfilling. Your process sucks, sorry it does, and your communication skill leave a lot to be desired. You need to make sure everyone is on the same page and can get information quickly and efficiently from those who know best, and you need to put in a standards of practice that makes it ok to ask questions, doesn't punish those who do, and sets up a chain of communication that allows everyone access to real time updates and progress. Moreover, you do not need to spend millions of dollars on tech when training and marketing should be your first priorities. You'd be surprised what a daily email report can fix! Finally, your product is top of the line, but it is showing cracks too. Your competitors, your sales staff, even your customers all know this but you have ignored it thus far. Remember it can take years to earn someones trust but only seconds to loose it, and so far you making more enemies than friends. Take back the reigns, work on the basics, and fix these issues and I know you'll do great.

"Strangest place to work...ever. My last day was my best day"

Former Employee - Sales Office in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Office in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Overhead Door full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some truly great employees at OHD

Cons

Management at this company is a joke! They are dishonest, conniving and the reason for most issues. It's a junior high culture with bullies and favoritism. Everyone is terrified of CEO and more then one person told me when I started that he was not very stable.

Advice to Management

If you really are interested in being successful then examine your VPs and what they do and say behind your back. I worked for 2 VPs that didn't care for each and the games they played were comical to watch.

"Customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Overhead Door full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule ..great peoppe..decent pay for a call center

Cons

Little room for growth after the level 2 position..bad management..very high turnover rate..people come and go everyday.

Advice to Management

Train everybody in a consistent way and make them feel part of the team more.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Troubleshooting Tech in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Troubleshooting Tech in Lewisville, TX

Pros

Worked int he customer service call center. It was a good job during college but evenually you will burn out and the job becomes boring.

Cons

non- stops calls and a lot of people are confused because the product is bad or the instructions are bad.