Overlake Medical Center and Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
J. Michael Marsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good patient care and a nice facility (in 8 reviews)

• PTO accrued very fast, great benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • behind-the-times for use of tech (in 2 reviews)

• and the doctors take the charts throughout the day shift which makes it hard for RN's and PCT's to go back and remember what to chart (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Family atmosphere"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people who help each other I've met friends there for life
    Great retirement benefits support from management
    Work environment great with supporting staff
    Great place to start your career
    Staff to patients ratio great

Cons

I only left for family out of state
    There weren't issues for me as currently I can't think of any above normal

2. "Overlake Medical Center is an Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overlake staff are supportive of one another, management seeks feedback and really listens to what their staff desire in a work place, and the benefits package, including free parking is generous and affordable. We are one of the highest paying medical centers in the region. There is a spirit of fun, creativity, flexibility, and innovation that is hard to find anywhere else.

Cons

Getting to Overlake from the South end or West side can be time consuming, but Overlake provides ORCA passes to all their staff to ease their commute.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing. Our growth is impressive and our service to this community is inspirational.

3. "Great core staff, management heavy, Fiscally stretched to thin for current and future growth at workers expense"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Core staff and practitioners are amazing to work with especially with upper management fiscal and practice constraints. The motto is usually "do more with less." the staff provides exceptional best practice care.

Cons

Constant budget cuts, usually understaffed for best patient care. Top heavy management puts constant pressure on unit managers. High daily turn over for ICU and delayed transfers to the floor. Poor nurse staffing ratios for ICU nurses with frequent telemetry assignments with little tech support. Epic system is a lot of duplicate charting and too many pages. Lastly, poor long-term employee recognition and no formal exit process-last day I handed my badge to the security guard as I left the building.

Advice to Management

After 19 yrs and 9 mo career at this hospital, not one long-term recognition or exit acknowledgment. Management is all about themselves and not appreciative of core staff. I have been receiving the same holiday gift card with the same amount for almost 20 yrs......You want to be a cohesive family atmosphere employer of choice you need to really step it up. Last time you reallocated staff jobs in ICU you let some people go and rehired them to other jobs exactly 1 day after their seniority and benefit bank expired- a very fiscally corporate benefit but a slap in the face to long-term employees one of over 25 yrs, for S.H, I will never forgive this organization.

"Director - leadership"

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overlake has a clear mission to serve the people of East King County and to improve the health of this community. They walk their talk, they are committed to living this in the way they develop their clinics, services and daily interactions. OMC is big enough to really make a difference and to provide excellent primary and specialty care services linked with a top community hospital. OMC is also small enough to be nimble and responsive and to feel like a family. I am making a difference here and love it!

Cons

As a non-profit, community based and relatively smaller independent system - resources can be constrained and while nimble, there is a limit to how fast or how much change we can take on at once. Heavy traffic in the area is a burden too, but the City of Bellevue is working on many things to help keep this area moving for future growth.

Advice to Management

Keep walking your talk - rounding and listening. Stay nimble, reward excellence and be creative.

5. "Good company, bad department"

Former Employee - Surgery Assistant in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Surgery Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Intimate setting, casual and open relationship with superiors, good benefits.

Cons

Some departments entirely composed of travelers or private practice— no sense of unity. Had to take breaks in the bathroom because anything and everything is reported to the charge nurse or nurse manager.

Advice to Management

A break board, better supervision over trainees.

"Better places to work with higher pay and better benefits"

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics (More than a year)

Pros

Staff is nice and friendly, free parking, free bus pass,discount in cafeteria/cafe, CEO seems like a good person, location, if visit overlake doctor then dont have to pay deductible.

Cons

Where to start....unfortunately I wanted to like overlake coming from other big hospital institutions in the area they fall very short.

1. Pay-pay is CONSIDERABLY lower than other locations. They DO NOT pay fair regarding experience.

2. Free bus pass-only if you drive 75% of the time. If you dont then you have to give your buss pass back according to the paperwork.

3. Onboarding-this was my biggest turn off regarding the company. Your required to complete your Employee health information before your start date which is fine, however you have to come in for about an hour or so to be trained in how to use certain equipment and do an online course for the use of the equipement if you are a nurse (or have any patient contact). Mind you, you are not being paid for this, they do this so you can start working the first day you start. I literally spent a couple of hours OUTSIDE of work doing online activities before I even started and even well into 1 month after my start date, I have NEVER had to do this with any other company. Everything that I did (online portals, were done at work). Another issue I had is the scattered training. You have your onboard portal which you get random emails the first month of employment stating that certain items are due 3 days before they assign them too you, not to mention their rushed training. I was basically in charge of my own training which is very worrisome. Ive worked at Evergreen and Swedish and their training was all up to par.

3. One thing they do not mention is if you work for the overlake clinics you have to use your pto for holidays. At least that is what I understood from another employee who worked at the Clinics. Dont have enough PTO or get hired later in the year? You take those holidays unpaid because you wont have enough PTO to cover them. Please ask them about this before you are hired.

4. Their clock in/out system is bizarre to say the least...

Advice to Management

1. HR has to much involvement in the company and training. Please work on your training processes as I received 3 different training packets: online, elearning vs department training and it was very frustrating. If something is needed by HR, assign them well before they are due rather than 2/3 days before.

Streamline your processes....there is so many unnecessary steps. Have a trainer attached to every new hire. Do not have new hires in charge of their own training. Even with someone with experience, every hospital or clinic has different processes.

7. "LPN"

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time

Pros

Utilized to my full scope of practice

Cons

Hours and days not flexible enough

"Great place to work at"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse

I have been working at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff to work with

Cons

Floating sucks on as a sitter

Advice to Management

Cut down on floating

"Centralized scheduling coordinator"

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great time of people

Cons

I enjoyed working here no cons

"Good place to work"

Pros

Small, close knit hospital. Great group of people and the hospital cares about its' employees

Cons

A lot of organizational changes leave things up in the air.