Overlake Medical Center and Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
J. Michael Marsh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • behind-the-times for use of tech (in 2 reviews)

• upper echelon do not take accountability for the management staff and their inefficiencies (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Family atmosphere"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people who help each other I've met friends there for life
    Great retirement benefits support from management
    Work environment great with supporting staff
    Great place to start your career
    Staff to patients ratio great

Cons

I only left for family out of state
    There weren't issues for me as currently I can't think of any above normal

2. "Great people, bad management"

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics part-time

Pros

Staff, equipment set up is all great.

Cons

Management and HR are not supportive to their employees at all. You are on your own, and if you make mistakes you will get a wright up. And they fire people easily. They say one thing but do other. So unpredictable, was under a lot of stress there, so glad I left. Big turn around with employees, seems like you are just a number to them, they careless about your feelings or advises. And they say to speak up but if you do, you can get in deep trouble. Totaly like communist party. I would not go back there.
    They say good benefits, but medical insurance has gotten up and not a good coverage.

Advice to Management

You guys need to care about your employees, listen to them, otherwise in few years it'll fire back, you loose good employees and that means quality of work drops. Moral has been down there for years, and people are afraid to say something. I really feel sory for those who still work there.

3. "RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hospital. They have top outcomes and patient satisfaction is high. For nursing the job is definitely better than average. My staffing ratio is great here. I work in the ED. The salary is on par for what I expect to receive in the area. This is due to the higher percentage of paying patients on the east side and the strong nursing union.
    My nurse manager is AMAZING.

Cons

Currently the union is having trouble solidifying a contract with the hospital. The union is strong and the nurses expect to have a good contract moving forward.

Advice to Management

Compensate your employees well. Much of the staff is loyal to the hospital and want to receive adequate benefits. Spending millions of dollars on new facilities and then claiming you are in the red and need to make cuts to employees seems disingenuous.

"It's like working in the 1950s"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Better-than-average benefits package; Free employee parking. "Amiable" employees

Cons

Poor use of EMR. Lack of collaboration between departments. behind-the-times for use of tech. Overlake operates as if it's in the 1950s- Physicians are Kings, all else are "support staff". They have not figured out how to develop nursing, and do not allow for thinking outside the box. Lack creativity in problem solving. Rely on management and physicians to determine solutions. No continuing education or specialty-focused education.

Advice to Management

Get modern! Allow for some autonomy. Stop trying to turn specialty clinics into primary care. Making the organization look nice and branding people with uniforms DOES NOT equate to good care. Enabling patients by doing WHATEVER they want is like bad parents raising badly behaved children.

5. "Laying off and cutting benefits"

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time

Pros

Patient focused care.
    Staff in most other departments were very caring and professional.
    OK benefits, but are being cut or reduced.

Cons

Passive aggressiveness a problem in my department. History of forcing people out instead of coaching them to succeed. Toxic culture.

PTO plan below industry standard.

Advice to Management

Treat people as you would hope to be treated.

6. "Administrative"

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time

Pros

The empathetic nature of some of the employees here was amazing. Made some great friends.

Cons

Due to a severe health hiccup, something beyond anyone's control- I was out for a few weeks, with full physician notices. I was assured this was okay and that everyone was understanding. Upon returning, I volunteered to come in early and help as they were short staffed, only to be asked to wait around for a couple of hours and then to be laid off.

Advice to Management

Have a better understanding of your mission and apply it to your employees!!

7. "Registered nurse behavioral health"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, good pay and benefits,

Cons

Low transparency, bottom line focused, superficial consideration of staff's input, don't develop staff to move into leadership positions, they talk about values but their decision making doses in certain areas does not follow suit.

8. "Overlake"

I have been working at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time

Pros

Great 403B plan, regular raises, good hours in my position.

Cons

Pay not commensurate with job title. Required to use your PTO if providers take time off leaving you with not much personal time off

Advice to Management

fulfill promises made at time of employment within position

9. "Patient Service Representative"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative

I have been working at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits.
    Those working directly with the patients seem to truly care and want to improve their ability to provide excellence.
    My department and Supervisor is the best! There are some clinics that have amazing leadership and coworkers.

Cons

Some managers are toxic and are allowed to continue through multiple investigations and repeated staff turnover.
    Short staffed continually either due to hiring freezes and other times lack of good candidates.

Advice to Management

When growing the hospital consider staffing. Short staffing comes from not adequately counting the cost. I think most people enjoy a beautiful building and equipment but if there aren't enough staff to take care of the patients how long will that benefit?

Also, allowing questionable leadership to stay, consider how much is lost to retraining. How much is lost to pressured staff who are rushed during their work because of stacking patients to keep numbers up. How many excellent workers leave or are kept away because of this practice.

10. "Proud of Staff"

I have been working at Overlake Medical Center and Clinics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and doctors who care about each other to provide quality care with compassion

Cons

The hospital needs to work harder on employee retention and valuing their long term employees

Advice to Management

Model and practice a healthy work life balance to promote healthier and happier employees who will be more than happy to provide quality patient care